Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2021, 03:27   #1

1970 contest 29 hull 77

I just picked up this contest. Finishing the project from previous owner ( he passed away too soon to live his dream) . I sold my 1972 40 morgan sheels, great blue water . I wanted something smaller " small budget " the contest has a very similar keel to the to the sheels keel on the morgan " I think it's a sheel keel " that being said I have a question about the U bolts for the riging as the deck was in the process of being repainted holes filled, I don't see any indication of bulkhead or hull attachment , the deck is fiberglassed to the hull and extra thick where the U bolt would go , I can't find any specs. Is anybody familiar with that type rigging set up
joetrotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 08:18   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 1970 contest 29 hull 77

Hi Joe...welcome to the forum. You have a legitamate comcern there.
This might help... https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/contest-29
At least it shows where the uppers might attach. For me, I would hope the lowers would be supported by knees from the deck to the hull sides.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 08:50   #3

I looked at some pictures of boats for sale and they just had the U bolt above deck
Old 18-07-2021, 10:06   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetrotta View Post
I just picked up this contest. Finishing the project from previous owner ( he passed away too soon to live his dream) . I sold my 1972 40 morgan sheels, great blue water . I wanted something smaller " small budget " the contest has a very similar keel to the to the sheels keel on the morgan " I think it's a sheel keel " that being said I have a question about the U bolts for the riging as the deck was in the process of being repainted holes filled, I don't see any indication of bulkhead or hull attachment , the deck is fiberglassed to the hull and extra thick where the U bolt would go , I can't find any specs. Is anybody familiar with that type rigging set up

Joe,
Did you try to contact Contest Yachts in the Netherlands about your rigging questions? Spoke w/them a couple of years back and were easy to contact as well as informative.
Found this pdf about the Contest 29 on their site.

Had an older boat w/U bolts for "chain plates" and were very strong/never an issue. Catalina 27s also use the U bolts for the lowers and were beefy especially w/a good backing plate.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 13:18   #5

Thank you for that info I was thinking the same thing. I was going to use epoxy adhesive for the backing plate. I did send an email to contest
Old 18-07-2021, 13:21   #6

On the backing plate

Tags
hull