Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 21:55   #1

Boat: Pearson Renegade 27'
1968 Pearson Renegade - How well would it fare as a world cruiser?

has a Yanmar YSM12 diesel inboard, Tiller, extra sails and a dinghy. plan to refit with some new equipment. I have read a bit about Patrick Childress's singlehanded circumavigation in a Catalina 27 (albeit reinforced). i imagine that a pearson renegade, particularly one with a fresh refit, should be able to make the journey. i admit i have not been able find any information about anyone making any travels of any length in one of these boats and was wondering if they have some inherent weakness that makes them incapable of making such a journey. Also i know a pearson triton would probably be a better choice but i have what i have and am itching to get the ball rolling. that being said i don't actually know how to sail yet, and will be applying for membership at the convair yacht club in san diego ca. i think i might be at least a year off before i can begin a circumnav. Any opinions?
asfreeasthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 22:38   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: 1968 Pearson Renegade - How well would it fare as a world cruiser?

I'd check all those bronze fittings. My Pearson built Alberg 35 of that era had a lot bronze bolt failures and cracked bronze fittings - all slowly discovered over the years I owned her.
Add some water tankage, a slug of tools and take it slow to learn the boat as a cruiser.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, asfreeasthewond.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:02   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Asfreeastheeind, many things can be done to any boat to make it more seaworthy. But the lovely little Pearson Renegade was never intended to be a passage maker. It came with an Atomic4, small tankage for both water and fuel, and little stowage. It is built strongly enough for coastal and sheltered water. It is, depending on condition, a nice boat for its intended purpose.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 13:20   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfreeasthewind View Post
has a Yanmar YSM12 diesel inboard, Tiller, extra sails and a dinghy. plan to refit with some new equipment. I have read a bit about Patrick Childress's singlehanded circumavigation in a Catalina 27 (albeit reinforced). i imagine that a pearson renegade, particularly one with a fresh refit, should be able to make the journey. i admit i have not been able find any information about anyone making any travels of any length in one of these boats and was wondering if they have some inherent weakness that makes them incapable of making such a journey. Also i know a pearson triton would probably be a better choice but i have what i have and am itching to get the ball rolling. that being said i don't actually know how to sail yet, and will be applying for membership at the convair yacht club in san diego ca. i think i might be at least a year off before i can begin a circumnav. Any opinions?
Welcome here! I looked at one to possibly buy some years ago. They are a very nice design, a well built classic. They have the spade rudder and I know a gentleman who is a bona fide old salt who sailed his all around the Channel Islands. I think it could be made to make longer passages, as many other pocket cruisers have done. I would prefer it for coastal cruising myself however, and it is a very good choice for that... like down to Baja perhaps, or up to Channel Islands? There is plenty of good cruising around here for practice! But Tayana has a good point, it wasn't really designed to carry a lot of extra stuff. And, this is just me, I tend to prefer a keel or skeg hung rudder for cruising. If you decide to get it, join the Plastic Classics group!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 20:52   #6

Have you seen this site?
Pearson Renegade
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08   #7

What do you think this fourm would have told this guy?

http://www.bluemoment.com/pdf/shrimpy.pdf
Johnniegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27   #8

When you have enough experience for this project you won't need to ask this question. Learn to sail, and take your boat cruising. Sail her through a gale. Then ask yourself how she, and you, would feel in a wind twice as strong and lasting several days.
Enjoy your sailing!
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have been renovating a 1973 Pearson 36-1 since 2007. The hull, mast and boom are great quality. I had to replace the toe rails, they were oversanded and the mounting screws were having silicone failure, but after 35 years, that is to be expected.

Granted there isn't a lot of fuel or water storage, but if you can find a place to store extra fuel bladders or cans and install a watermaker, those problems would be mooted.

My P26 had a spade rudder with an aluminum post that had corrosion so bad that when Pearson was still in business, they would offer replacement rudders with stainless steel posts. The Renegade's rudder post should be checked.

As far as the bronze fittings failing, all my Wilcox/Crittenden bronze seacocks are in perfect condition and seacocks in that quality aren't made anymore.

I am sure I have spent more on the renovations and upgrades than I paid for the boat, but she got me across the Atlantic from NY to The Netherlands and I put the boat through a Post-Construction Assessment survey in The Netherlands and now the boat is better for blue water than when she was built and is RCD rated catagory "A".

IMO, renovating an older boat is not the cheapest way to go, but one can wind up with a very strong, modernized sailboat.

...and P-36s are fast.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I wrote a book about my eBay purchase, survey and renovation of Skylark, a 1973 Pearson 36-1

Renovate a Sailboat and Cross the Atlantic
ISBN-13: 978-0988923485

I give an extensive list of my suppliers and tips about the renovation and the Atlantic crossing in 2009.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:33   #11

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I owned #14 ( IPod Lani) for a number of years and sailed her from Dana Point through the Channel Islands often in 25kt+ breeze and 8'-10' seas. Capable and tough the Renegade was designed with a modified fin keel and spade rudder.
As a pocket cruiser she is missing a full or at least 3/4 keel and hung rudder. That being said, I don't see why you couldn't cruise one anywhere. The rig is stout and the hull is thick. Mine came with a Volvo MD 6 and putted well at just under 6kt's.I would put a tiller master in a plastic garbage bag and with a reef in the main motor sail her to weather in tall seas and big wind @ 1,000 rpm. Took green water over the cabin on occasions but never had a problem. Huge fore peak and ice box of a 35 footer with a head big enough to act as a good hanging locker I kept her for 10 years. I bought her for $150.00 in an auction and recently looked at one in Chula Vista for a friend @ $900.00. Hard to find anything in that price range that actually could cruise.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
I owned #14 ( IPod Lani) for a number of years and sailed her from Dana Point through the Channel Islands often in 25kt+ breeze and 8'-10' seas. Capable and tough the Renegade was designed with a modified fin keel and spade rudder.
As a pocket cruiser she is missing a full or at least 3/4 keel and hung rudder. That being said, I don't see why you couldn't cruise one anywhere. The rig is stout and the hull is thick. Mine came with a Volvo MD 6 and putted well at just under 6kt's.I would put a tiller master in a plastic garbage bag and with a reef in the main motor sail her to weather in tall seas and big wind @ 1,000 rpm. Took green water over the cabin on occasions but never had a problem. Huge fore peak and ice box of a 35 footer with a head big enough to act as a good hanging locker I kept her for 10 years. I bought her for $150.00 in an auction and recently looked at one in Chula Vista for a friend @ $900.00. Hard to find anything in that price range that actually could cruise.
i am considering getting 200 watt solar panels installed with 4k inverter, an engel 45 refrigerator, a kerosene stove, and a tiller lock until i can spring for a monitor wind vane. high up on the list will be a chart plotter, ais, and ssb. also a rib with a 55 lb thrust - 86 lb thrust saltwater trolling motor. new rigging and new sails just before i start my circumnav.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:10   #13

OK, I think you can do it, but I am reminded of that classic line in "Jaws," "you're gonna need a bigger boat."
BTW this thread may have some helpful tips:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-138558.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 04-04-2016, 17:12   #14
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfreeasthewind View Post
Single-handed sailor James Baldwin successfully circumnavigated his Triton "Atom" twice in the 1980s. Pearson Triton "Pájaro", has successfully completed various transatlantic crossings. Many Tritons have made numerous Pacific and Atlantic crossings. As you are still learning how to sail you might want to consider changing boats. They are available and not prohibitedly priced.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 17:28   #15

One week after I purchased my renegade a triton yawl came up on the market for 3k but in new jersey. I was in the wrong side of the country and I didn't know how to sail. Down the line I may change to a triton, westsail, allied seabreeze or an alberg 30. For the time being I am focusing on my Renegade. I purchased it with diesel inboard, extra sails and dinghy for 2500 in fair condition.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
cruise, cruiser, pearson