Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 13:56   #46

I also forgot to mention, I am going to be at a sailing school ata yacht club next month when I am in Massachusetts with family. So I will learn some.
Patrick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 18:11   #47

First Keel Boat

Patrick, At your age you really can't afford boat ownership if you don't have a dock at your or a friend's house where you can keep a boat for free. The only options are a mooring or a trailer sailer. However, that doesn't put you out of the game. There are tons of boats that are just wasting away and in this economy people are hard pressed to hold onto their boats. If I were you I would put an ad on your local Craigslist under boats. It would read something like "Mature, ambitious youth looking for SailBoat"
In the body, I would state my age, experience and desire to have access to a boat. I would say that I am willing to kick in $50 a month towards dock fees and/or be willing to work on boat in exchange for use and some training. Of course, I would have my parents meet any respondents and make sure they are on the up and up. But you may be surprised by some generous, kind responses by sailors in need of help and company. Many people have 30 ft plus boats that are too large to single hand and no one to sail with. You can also try to get a free boat using Craig's list. The beauty is that it's free. In the meantime, have you read Tanai Albei's book
or Robin Graham's Dove. The Sunderland's are good sailor's, but I think the independent spirit of adventure of these youth's will speak to you. Good Luck
diguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia