Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 06:08   #1

1964 Pearson 28ft (is it a Triton?)

Someone is offering one of these for free in my area. I'm gonna go check it out and make sure its structurally sound and everything before taking it, but I was wondering what the boats layout is. This is the original CL post:

"28ft. Pearson Sailboat Rigging, Sails, double burner stove, propane tank, double stainless steel sink, No Trailer. Located in Naples, Fl !!!!FREE!!!!
I have a Title For the boat and everything, I just need it GONE!"

So it left me wondering which model it could be. I did a little research and from the year and length I want to believe its a Triton 28. Would this be a reasonable assumption?

Here is a page on them: The Pearson Triton 28 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Other than that, has anyone on here owned one of these that can point out problem areas and common issues with the boat?

The article above says: " Suspect areas are balsa-cored rot-prone decks (mainly East coast), rotten wooden rudders, corroded masts, undersized chainplates, cranky gasoline inboard engines and electrical systems that require replacement. Compression around the deck stepped mast can be an issue and the supports may require strengthening but many owners will already have done so."

So, I guess the questions are... Is it reasonable to assume that its a Triton 28? and are there any problem areas other than those above to check for?

Also, if any of you have owned or do own one pictures, stories, and advice would be nice.

Thanks!
CaptainSostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 06:12   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: 1964 Pearson 28ft (is it a Triton?)

Likely a triton. Strong boat but if free may require so much that it would be cheaper to buy a better maintained boat

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 06:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Likely a triton. Strong boat but if free may require so much that it would be cheaper to buy a better maintained boat

Yeah, but I figure its worth the drive to look at it. Who knows might be a gem. or (more likely) it could be a piece of trash. Either way, I think the hours and gas spent at least taking a look would be worth it.
Old 21-04-2015, 06:32   #4

Boat: Pearson Triton

If the year is correct then likely a Triton. Check http://atomvoyages.com for lots of info and refit stories. My Triton was in very good condition when purchased for $8k and I still have over $30k into it. But, one very capable (albeit small) boat for not that much money.

vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 06:41   #5

Boat: F&C 44

I once owned a 1964 Triton, good basic boat. The interior is small by today's standards and Pearson used a fake wood grain laminate on the bulkheads that gave it the look of a 1960's kitchen. All the issues you mentioned are true but would be for almost any boat of that era. The wood rudder most likely needs repair but is far easier to repair than a more modern foam and glass rudder. Balsa core decks are most likely mush by now and would need to be recored. The wood frame that took the mast compression should be gone over... you get the idea. There are good boats and cheap boats but no good cheap boats.

There was or is a Triton owners association, Google should be able to find them.
Good luck.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:13   #6

Well, If the owner responds to the email I sent I'll probably check it out this weekend. Hopefully its not too bad.
Old 21-04-2015, 08:47   #7

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Post pics!
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:21   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I am the current steward for our family Pearson Triton (#301, 1962). All of the things you mention are typical of Tritons but could also be another boat. Pearson wasn't building other 28' boats at that time. The balsa core deck issues, mast step compression issues and outdated electrical systems are common. A cranky gas engine is an insult to devoted Atomic 4 engine aficionados everywhere. Properly maintained, an A4 is a reliable and safe motor. Run your blower before starting the engine - every time.

The chainplate issue is ridiculous - folks have sailed these vessels around the world (Atom voyages) in heavy weather with no problem. And, please, tell me someone who has a 50 year old sailboat with the original rudder that has never had to be worked on.

Folks have taken these boats, cut the non-skid portion of the deck off in a controlled manner, stripped out the damaged balsa core, replaced it with new coring and glassed the original decking back on. A big job but once done you have a bullet-proof boat (albeit, small) that could take on just about any weather you could imagine. And do it well.

The downsides - small space below, limited room for tankage and systems. This boat was designed as a weekend cruiser/racer. The rig is somewhat dated in that the mast is stepped far forward giving the rig a very big mainsail with a fractional headstay (7/8) that allows for a smaller foresail. Great for upwind sailing. Downwind she will tend towards weather helm unless you reef the big main. She will easily carry a spinnaker or asym genny. The west coast versions may have a shorter mast with a masthead rig. Rare Tritons were yawls (mizzen vanishingly small).

Main salon has 6' clearance. That's a big plus on that size of boat. Can't beat the price - if you have a place to store it for the years it may take to complete the refit and you want to devote the time you won't be sorry. There is a Triton yahoo group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/triton/info

it is a great place with great folks who can link you up with everything you need, including debates about anchors.

Old 21-04-2015, 11:24   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSostre View Post
Well, If the owner responds to the email I sent I'll probably check it out this weekend. Hopefully its not too bad.
It's worth a look. They are tough boats with a cult following. Everything can be repaired and hopefully this one isn't too far gone. I wouldn't want to redo decks and cabin tops that have squishy balsa but some folks don't mind getting into messy situations.

It could very well be another model but if it is nearer 28 and truly built that year and doesn't have a fin keel then it probably is a Triton. Pearson made a boat for nearly every inch on the scale.

Good luck.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:36   #10

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

When a person needs to get rid of a boat, free isn't a bad price for the buyer or the seller.

I'm giving a 1975 Newport 28 away, in favor of a 1968 Bristol 29, which I bought on a "price I couldn't refuse".

It has taken me almost 6 months to be sure that I want to get rid of the Newport ... it's really roomy, compared to the Bristol.

Fact is, unless the boat is likely to bring a good price, an owner cannot really afford to wait for the "asking" price ... especially when there's a storage bill every 6 months ... that might not ever stop coming ...
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 12:07   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
When a person needs to get rid of a boat, free isn't a bad price for the buyer or the seller.

I'm giving a 1975 Newport 28 away, in favor of a 1968 Bristol 29, which I bought on a "price I couldn't refuse".

It has taken me almost 6 months to be sure that I want to get rid of the Newport ... it's really roomy, compared to the Bristol.

Fact is, unless the boat is likely to bring a good price, an owner cannot really afford to wait for the "asking" price ... especially when there's a storage bill every 6 months ... that might not ever stop coming ...
Well, I kind of wish I was nearer.
Old 21-04-2015, 12:18   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

A free boat is usually only a good deal if you are willing and able to do a lot of work to get it in decent condition. But if you are looking for a project boat, it might as well be free. If it is missing any major piece of hardware, for example a boom it will quickly become more expensive than a similar boat that isn't free.

To get an idea of what is involved in restoring a Triton, read this blog:Pearson Triton #381 Glissando | About the Name

Read a few of the "should I buy a project boat?" threads to learn about other reasons not to get a "free boat." For most people, getting a boat that needs work but is presently usable to sail while you complete various projects is a good choice. Boats that can be used (or even relocated) without any work are almost never free. OTOH, a usable Triton with a diesel can sometimes be found for $5 to $7K.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 12:37   #13

Boat: Islander29

It is a Pearson Triton. Those are great boats.
adam56usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 13:57   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My neighbour at my marina surprised me last week when he posted his Alberg 22 (mid 70's) for free. Over the winter, the rudder split. He wasn't willing to do the work (he's in his 70's with heart trouble), and figured the cost to repair exceeded the value of the boat. I visited him to see the damage for myself, and see the rest of the boat. It was pretty nice, but the rudder was definitely split at the lead edge. Needless to say, within two days the boat had a new owner.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 17:58   #15

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I have seen enough sailable boats that sold for a "good", price for years ... oh ... did I say sell? I meant "sat", for years, while the $1000 a year storage fee was paid, the boat deteriated (#$^$%^sp), tarps tore and nobody came around to ensure the weather wasn't beating the boat.

Believe you me, I have seen many boats become nothing more than a proverbial anchor around an owner's neck.

Especially owners(like the wife), after a death, or after an owner got a second ... third ... or fourth boat.

... look around
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson