Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2022, 10:59   #1

Boat: In pursuit of a Hinckley
1959 Hinckley 42 Yawl

New to the forum as a member, but have been reading for months. I have learned a ton from all the members. I have been able to walk the plank of narrowing down what I actually want, what I will actually use the boat for, and for good or bad I have learned that youtube IS NOT the goto for "real" knowledge (if not knowledge than substantiated opinion).

It is with great trepidation that I make this post, but I need some info.

On yacht world I have found this:
1959 Hinckley 42' Yawl
NIGHT WIND (originally named BELLETRIX)
Only 7 pictures, but in those 7 pics I have found my dream.

To be sure, I have moved from a Tartan 34c as the boat I want. My mind changed after getting on one and feeling the cramped cockpit, the weird wheel placement (I know a lot are tillers), and the traveller in the way at the bridge deck. I also have wanted a yawl or a ketch from the beginning. I had somehow worked my way of thinking into easier to sail a sloop, not as much standing rigging cost, etc etc etc....I personally love the way a Mizzened boat looks when she is all sheets out.

Ok, so enough dribble. I have researched for this boat on the Hinckley directory and I can not find this boat. Is this an all wood B40? I just want to get to the nitty gritty and start to think about this purchase. I have reached out to the broker, but I am assuming this is a back burner boat

Yes it is a wood boat and yes I am prepared for the maintenance. 70% maintenance 30% sail time. I will be in the Chesapeake and live in Williamsburg, VA...so southern bay, haul out annually and spend 4 months for sure a year out of water, then splash and start the bright work.

I would say I will spend no more than 10 days straight on the boat. If we do start to spend more time, then that will likely mean a diff boat to go along with this one. No plans to cross oceans in it, but would make the Bermuda Run and Bahamas a destination for sure....no haul out that year.

I just can't find this boat and need to present the idea to the bride...need more pics and actually what this boat is. Maybe it's a one offer.

Help Please
Hinckley or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:22   #2

Re: 1959 Hinckley 42 Yawl

I'm sure you've seen posts about problems getting insurance - have you checked that you can insure a 1959 wooden boat?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 13:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Hinckley or Die,

I would suggest calling the broker and ask questions. If still interested, go see her. I can tell you it’s been on the market for 9 months. Looks great and you sound like the perfect new owner. Keep us posted.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 14:54   #4

I know that can be a hurdle and a concern. I know because when I was shopping for tartans it was somewhat an issue. Mainly because I was searching project boats. I appreciate the reminder. I was under impression that there are specialty insurers for antique vessels.
This is the first time I have considered a “woody”. I may be being romantic about keeping this boat alive.
Old 07-08-2022, 14:58   #5

I have an email into him now with a considerable list of questions. If no response by mid week I’ll ring him up and take notes on the call.

I think it looks like a great boat and would fit my particular life right now. Mostly weekend er and day sailer. I wouldn’t change anything other than add some new electronics and update systems. But, shine her up and sail her while all that is going on.
Old 07-08-2022, 16:29   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The combination of indoor storage for most of the year and being in cold water for the summer season is a kindly way of treatment.
The designer is above reproach, a class act boat.
Should you inspect it, pay particular attention to the underside of the deck around the perimeter of the hull, where there is so much hardware, looking for any stains that indicate water intrusion, (in fact anywhere).
On the topsides, check the transitions where the cockpit coamings meet the cabin trunk, it's a common problem area.
Check around the stern tube/gland, and seacocks for any sign of "white powder" on the backing pads/frames/planking, that are in close proximity to the seacocks, same with the rudder shaft.
That's one of the first indicators of stray currant going into the metal, (and attacking the wood,) from any bonding that may be present.
If things check-out, great.
Oh, when you sail into an anchorage in most any other boat people give a quick look and carry on with what they were doing.
When you arrive in a Hinckley people stop what they're doing and look.
Good luck.
PS, the listing indicates the absence of a holding tank. You'll most likely need to address that issue in some way, (composting?).
Old 08-08-2022, 08:15   #7

Bowdrie,

Thanks for that info. I am new to wood boats and though I am voraciously reading about all things wooden. I am learning that too much time on the hard leads to bad bad things... so that leads me to discuss my fears about this boat:

1. Even though there is a good story with the listing and the boat looks the part, is it really a Hinckley? considering the asking price I have doubts

2. I received some answers to my questions from the broker. The boat has been on the hard for "at least" 3 years. This will mean re-caulking of timbers and who knows what else.

3. I will of course have this boat professionally surveyed. Who is a great wooden boat surveyor in that area?

4. At 40K for a Hinckley, that seems to set up nicely from the pics exactly what am I getting into? It may not be worth it

I will confess that I have been bitten by the wood boat bug, and there are other boats out there that are very pretty boats. That being said, none of them are Hinckley's and there are very few if any Hinckley's hanging out in my neck of the woods....so my vanity will be exponentially elevated when I pull up to that waterside restaurant. Ya'll may understand what I mean.

PS. Composting head is my decision for any boat I get. Remove that thru hull and tankage. This is the one my research has pushed me to natureshead.net
Old 08-08-2022, 08:16   #8

Not timbers, I meant hull slats...

Timbers are the bones.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:19   #9

Planking, not ribs.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:25   #10

Thanks Idaho....like I said new to wooden boats and I will most likely sound like a ignorant fool for months.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:15   #11

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley or Die View Post

1. Even though there is a good story with the listing and the boat looks the part, is it really a Hinckley? considering the asking price I have doubts

2. I received some answers to my questions from the broker. The boat has been on the hard for "at least" 3 years. This will mean re-caulking of timbers and who knows what else.

3. I will of course have this boat professionally surveyed. Who is a great wooden boat surveyor in that area?

4. At 40K for a Hinckley, that seems to set up nicely from the pics exactly what am I getting into? It may not be worth it
"Is it really a Hinckley?"
I don't doubt it, Hinckley has an interesting back story.
They spent many years building "one off" boats that came from various designers, building boats that were not a "brand name", as it were.
I'm trying to establish the distinction between "Hinckley Built" and "Hinckley Brand Boat".
No, it's not a "wood B40", the B40 is a Bill Tripp design.
Being indoors on the hard for 3 years is NOT indicative of needing re-caulking, although upon re-launching it would probably have to "hang in the slings" for a day to monitor the swelling.
Sometimes they "tent" a boat from around the boot-top down and set-up a couple of lawn sprinklers to "wet out" the bottom and get the planking swelling.
Being in the PNW, I have no direct knowledge of any surveyors that are experienced in wooden boats in your area.
You might reach out to/join, the WoodenBoat Forum, their will be a lot of people on board who will have answers to your questions in more detail.
I wouldn't doubt that someone in that circle might have knowledge of that boat.
We're in a time now when a generation or 2 have "entered the boating scene", that have no idea about anything that isn't fiberglass or steel, and by- and-large are afraid of wood, having only heard horror stories, and this is reflective upon the prices.
As an aside, more wooden boats are being built today than in the "old days", but that receives little press.
I'm taking a guess here, but that boat probably has an oak backbone, steam bent oak frames, Honduras mahogany planking, bronze fasteners, and lead ballast with bronze bolts.
Bottom line; get a good survey.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:58   #12

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

As usual, Bowdrie has contributed to the thread as much as I can. His observations and advice are exactly right - especially wrt to the lack of a holding tank since much of the Chesapeake is being designated (or is proposed to be designated) zero discharge areas.

The boat certainly has all the hallmarks of a Hinckley-built boat. It mirrors the B40 downstairs, and much of the upstairs. It's been said of the B40 that Hinckley built a wooden boat inside of a fiberglass hull - and it looks like they used their "wooden boat interior" for the Alden-designed wooden hull. Even has the same amount of fresh water storage as my B40.

Alden designed a number of boats that were built by Hinckley (e.g., Hinckley 21, Hinckley 28, etc.) so it's no surprise to see that this boat was designed by Alden and built by Hinckley. I've always picked the B40 out of the crowd of spoon bow-graceful shear-counter stern boats by looking at the rake of the transom. B40s have more of a vertical transom while the transom on Alden (and other Tripp) boats slope a bit more. Otherwise - it's difficult (for me) to quickly note immediate differences. The B40 evolved from Bill Tripp's Block Island 40.

If you get the boat you'll definitely find that it turns heads. You'll definitely also find that it's LOTS of upkeep - all the teak outside and those spruce spars! But - once you get a handle on things, (I've found) it's not as bad as all that - and is definitely worth the satisfaction you get by rowing around your boat twice while anchored on your way to shore. It's a great Chesapeake boat - shallow draft. It looks like it has a worm-gear centerboard (see crank hanging by the companionway steps in one of the pictures) - that's good.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned (and can't tell from the photo) is whether it has a rub rail. You'll find that these are very handy on this boat if it handles like mine. The full keel and that barn-door rudder give it a LOT of prop-walk. Backing it into a slip on anything but a still-calm day will be an adventure, and will often require using warp lines to bend the boat around a piling. One other thing to pay attention to is the makes/models of the hardware. I've found that many (if not most) of the companies that provided hardware to Hinckley during that period have gone out of business. For instance, my boat came with a Shipmate stove, Barient winches (I see that the boat has both Barlow and South Coast winches), Ideal windlass (now supported by Schaefer), Datamarine instruments, etc. Be prepared to search, search, search, install newer makes/models, or have your own replacement pieces fabricated if something breaks or wears out. Hinckley may be able to provide you with schedules of fittings, rigging, etc. They did for me - and for several of my friends who have boats built around the time your prospective boat was built.

Good luck! Let us know if you get the boat. I'm often in the Williamsburg area and would love to see it. You'd be a welcome addition to the Chesapeake Bermuda 40 Association (don't need to have a B40 - just a Hinckley).
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:53   #13

Bowdrie,

Your input and willingness to share is awesome. I will continue to post in this thread and ask questions etc. I will also join wooden boat forum.

So my Big Audacious Dream boat would be a Spirit DH60, but seeing as someone hit the billion lottery last week, that boat will remain that. I know this boat may be a stinker, I am hoping not, but I think I am in the same camp with you. People are scared of wooden boats because the plastic industry has propagated that fear. All ill maintained boats go to a junk yard to die, or rot in the back of a boat yard covered in kudzu...I have seen some real stinkers in this young courtship I have started. That's what owning a boat is (i don't care what it is made of or what it's purpose)...you date (shop, touch, look, feel), you get engaged (actually buy the one you fall for), then you marry (maintenance maintenance maintenance, with breaks of extreme joy and utter happiness in the mix). Pride, admiration, lust all those are just as important in a marriage as in owning a boat. Some of us choose beautiful spouses (inside and out), those spouses NEED us to help them stay that way. Patience Kindness and LOVE.

I am definitely aching for a wooden boat project, this is a down right affordable Hinckley as long as she isn't rotted...so lets just say I have optimistic caution.

ris8r,

I am thankful for your direction as well. I am happy to hear there is an association and would love to get on a B40 to crew around a bit. All of this boat will be new to me....sailboat, yawl, wood...I figure in for a pound in for a ton.
Old 08-08-2022, 13:08   #14

FYI 1959 Hinckley

"There is one area of the cabin side / house top that needs attention (see
attached image) as the cabin side to house top interface has opened up and
there needs to be a little rebuilding."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabintop.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	262490  
gronbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 13:21   #15

Where did you get that pic? I don't have it on the listing. Thank you for the info as well