Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 10:15   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: 100 Gallon Fuel tank under V-Berth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
I'm currently looking at a boat that has a custom 100 gallon aluminum fuel tank that the owner recently installed under the V-berth. Do you think the weight of a full tank would be of any concern in how the boat handles under sail? Or would it be negligible...

Does anyone have any experience with a tank in this location?

It's a 36ft boat, displacement 16,500 lbs.

Thanks!
I believe it will effect handling and hobby horsing. You will probably have anchor and chain forward also. I believe I would walk or include the tank as a negative in negotiations.Take it for what it may or may not be worth.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:02   #17

Boat: 1972 CT 41

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why the PO decided to do this. There used to be a a smaller holding tank in this location but he removed that, put in a composting head, and installed this fuel tank (which is Diesel by the way).

I mixed up my numbers last night (it was late) and it's actually a 75gal tank, not 100gal. The 100 number that was in my head is the total fuel capacity on board. Regardless, it's still a lot of weight.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but it does take up a fair amount os space. Though there is still minimal storage under the V-berth, and there is still an anchor locker. I didn't get a look inside the tank, but I would assume there are decent baffles inside. I do not think the PO spared any expense on the boat, and actually put quite a bit of money into it recently. He's an engineer and it looks like he took great care of the vessel. Everything is labeled nice and neat, and there are logs of everything that has been done to the boat, including diagrams and explanations for each system.

I didn't think it was a great idea to have the tank up there, but I wanted to see if anyone had any differing opinions. I feel that the consensus is that it is probably not the best idea. Though I supposed boatman61 nailed it. The best way for me to determine whether it's good or bad is to take it out for a sail myself and decide.

I do appreciate all of the replies.

Cheers,
Cosmos
Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:16   #18

I might not rule out the boat if it still has a GOOD tank in the normal location. But I wouldn't fill that bow tank.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:26   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The PO must have liked using the Iron Genny.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:50   #20

Boat: 44 footer

I'd be curious where the boat or owner are located...

In the event that they were planning to motor the ICW ditch, then 75 gallons wouldn't be unreasonable, to only have to fuel her once on the way up and once on the way down.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 12:13   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why the PO decided to do this. There used to be a a smaller holding tank in this location but he removed that, put in a composting head, and installed this fuel tank (which is Diesel by the way).

I mixed up my numbers last night (it was late) and it's actually a 75gal tank, not 100gal. The 100 number that was in my head is the total fuel capacity on board. Regardless, it's still a lot of weight.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but it does take up a fair amount os space. Though there is still minimal storage under the V-berth, and there is still an anchor locker. I didn't get a look inside the tank, but I would assume there are decent baffles inside. I do not think the PO spared any expense on the boat, and actually put quite a bit of money into it recently. He's an engineer and it looks like he took great care of the vessel. Everything is labeled nice and neat, and there are logs of everything that has been done to the boat, including diagrams and explanations for each system.

I didn't think it was a great idea to have the tank up there, but I wanted to see if anyone had any differing opinions. I feel that the consensus is that it is probably not the best idea. Though I supposed boatman61 nailed it. The best way for me to determine whether it's good or bad is to take it out for a sail myself and decide.

I do appreciate all of the replies.

Cheers,
Cosmos
Only if you take it out in nasty weather with a full tank. Anything will sail well on a mill pond.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:08   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't mindthe extra tank to be honest. A small day tank with the option of storing half a ton of fuel when you need it isn't a bad thing. I probably wouldn't ever use it, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings that it is there.

But then I seriously considered adding a 5 gallon day tank to the Beneteau and drying out our 40 gallon main tank.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:15   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The old Tayana 37 in many cases had a 70 gallon tank under the v-berth. That thing would hoppy horse in anything over 15 knots to windward.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank