Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 06:45   #31

Re: $100,000 to put in a money pit

Hi,

We have our previous boat for sale. It is on this moment in La Paz Mexico,
See the website that we made for her. https://beneteau45f5.com
Rudy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00   #32

I'd buy a 28/30 footer on which to learn. Buy one in decent but not perfect condition. It will take some hunting but there are tons of 30 footers out there fairly cheap. Get a few lessons and then go out on your own until you feel really confident on the 30 footer. Then buy a bigger boat and take more lessons if needed, but I doubt you will need them. Just a friend the first few times you go out.

I'd buy a roughly 40 foot ketch if you want to cross the Atlantic. Smaller sails. Fairly easy handling. I think a 40 ft sloop sail size would be too big for me to handle by myself without a self furling main. And that just adds complexity.

Dave
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:21   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

a long time ago, a guy pulled into my neck of the woods (NE Florida) on a gaff-rigged Ferro-cement Pinky Schooner that he had built up in New England somewhere.
I think the LOA is around 50' including the very long bowsprit.
As I recall the boat was tiller-steered and had two separate cabins on it.
I sailed on it a few times.
That boat is now on the hard at Green Cover Springs Marina on the St. Johns River, and has been there for a while.
I would venture to say it could be purchased for a song, though likely will require some attention.
But if you have a $100K burning a hole in your pocket, this might provide an option.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
I was thinking ketch but typed schooner. Neither the Hunter or Morris was a ketch but the Morris seemed a few steps above the Hunter. I like the idea of spending $30000-$35000 and learning then getting a nicer boat and starting the dream. I live about an hour’s drive from 2 of the great lakes. Can I get the experience I need on the lakes to sail the Gulf and Atlantic or do I need to move to the Gulf? I know I can get the classes I need here and on the coast.
As others have said, do NOT denigrate the Great Lakes. I have sailed and raced on all of them for going on 50 years, and have had scarier moments on Superior and Michigan than I have ever had on the Atlantic or the Pacific. Continental thunderstorms, short wave cycles ... can all hurt you.

I suggest buying nothing for a while. If you live near an inland lake of any size, there will be sailing there. Find a yacht club, talk to people, and volunteer to crew. Learn to sail on a small boat, then a larger one, then - and only then - start looking at boats to buy. You may never, truth be told, ever buy a boat - for you may never have to.

I started sailing dinghies on Lake Mendota, learned at the college's sailing club. Then thumbed my way through the Southern Ocean Racing Circuit, where I became friends with the professional captain on a 58' racing yacht. His view? "Boats are built by rich fools, for poor wise men to enjoy."

I took it to heart, and never owned a thing larger than a Laser, though I have coveted much. I have raced and cruised over 10,000 miles ... on other people's boats. I have learned a lot, had great fun, and have not had to write large checks to boatyards.

Start small. Learn and have fun. Read everything you can get your hands on (the many single-hander's books are worth every dime you'll spend on them). I started out wanting to be a single-hander, and that's no longer an aspiration of mine, but if it is yours and remains yours, build a foundation of knowledge and experience on the water first.

Sail on!
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:25   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I got one more.....
In J'ville is another unfinished boat.
It's a fiberglass Roberts 53, designed with a Schooner rig.
The boat is in the water at the Trout River Marina, but it has not been rigged, though the masts and rigging is available.
If you are interested, I can provide more details.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:28   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
a long time ago, a guy pulled into my neck of the woods (NE Florida) on a gaff-rigged Ferro-cement Pinky Schooner that he had built up in New England somewhere.
I think the LOA is around 50' including the very long bowsprit.
As I recall the boat was tiller-steered and had two separate cabins on it.
I sailed on it a few times.
That boat is now on the hard at Green Cover Springs Marina on the St. Johns River, and has been there for a while.
I would venture to say it could be purchased for a song, though likely will require some attention.
But if you have a $100K burning a hole in your pocket, this might provide an option.

Yep, he will be giving it away. Ferro cement boats have a negative resale value. Even if they are great boats.. no one wants to risk buying one.
A steel sailboat would be a much more practical buy.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 13:43   #37

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 270 1984 twin 5.7 L, Catalina 25 fixed keel, Hobie Cat, Hallett 19

What my friends are saying is that you may have it backward. First learn to sail. Then buy a boat. By the time you have a few hours under your belt - lets say at least 50 - on different rigs you'll know which is preferable. Join a sailing club it's cheap and full of helpful people.

A friend acquired a large sum and bought 2 boats. one for US and one for Europe. Turns out that 2 "holes in the water into which you pour money" were NOT better than one. He is selling his second boat for a substantial loss. It was brand new and as yet - no takers. The cost of boat ownership encompasses much more than the purchase price.

Good luck with your training. You will be making lots of new friends. Who knows you may end up like most of the rest of us and just enjoy being around water without the aggravation of trying to remain alive on the open ocean day in and day out.
StumpLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 15:27   #38

You might want to take a look at our Moody 38 CC which a good high quality boat within your intended budget. See the Facebook link below. If you need any more information, my email is jvare@hotmail.com

Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9457...02394353200487
tilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 17:25   #39

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

We have a 1935 Block Island Horn schooner which is 40Lwl. We had to restore it but we used about $18,000 in materials and likely about 2400 hours of labor.

As far a single handing a small schooner, you will be busy but when you are at sea, the work load is not too bad. The real work comes when shortening sail.

Singlehanding will be quite a challenge

I believe while your budget is doable, you might need to rethink long distances cruises alone
Bob
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 18:07   #40

Boat: 1973 Contest 31

There ya go:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...dard%20listing

This one is pretty amazing:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...dard%20listing
rmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 18:27   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Sailing is the easy part, anyone can become reasonably proficient in just a couple of weeks with the right teacher. To become really good takes a liftime.

What you really need is to start learning about the boats themselves. They truly can become an infite hole into which you pour money should you make a poor choice.

I suggest you start your education here .....
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 08-07-2019, 18:49   #42

I echo the advice learn to sail THEN buy a boat.
You may be able to get some opportunities helping out delivery skippers. Track some down and offer your services for free in exchange for experience. (Obviously do a bit of background checking before you step onto a boat and cast off for an extended voyage).
If you chose to get a boat now, then get the smallest cheapest boat that will expose you the things on a bigger boat (diesel engine, winches, head, stove... etc.). Start with something small (cheap to buy and cheap for parts) but with most of the complications of a bigger boat. As boatpoker points out “sailing is the easy part”.
Cruising is really about doing boat maintenance (and emergency repairs) in exotic places (were there are no parts, tools or mechanics). Make sure the first time tangle with your diesel that you are comfortable at the dock and driving distance to parts and a diesel mechanic, same goes with all the other things that go wrong on a boat.
Dadster3 suggested looking at Nonsuch – great options for easy handling boats (from 22 to 36 feet) and very big for their length. One thing to consider – generally sail handling is easy/painless – tacking you just turn the wheel – no sheet grinding etc. If you have nothing to catch on the stern (davits, BBQ etc.) you can master the “Hudson river” gybe (basically over steered gybe so you end up reach with the sail luffing and then gently bear down to fill it with no drama). Two possible downsides to a nonsuch – 1. It is a single sail but a BIG sail if you have to do anything with it. 2. The nonsuchs were generally balsa cored and in many cases through hulls, winch bases, sail drives etc. the balsa was not trimmed back and replaced with a more rot resistant material. A little bit of water and the balsa turns to mush – really good survey important.
Several have suggested the advantages of multiple sails to keep individual sail size down. A cat ketch might be worth considering – Freedom yachts made some good ones. Here is 33’ one on lake Ontario for 34K asking (its been on the market for a while) – 28’ for $17.5k asking in North Carolina (come up the inter coastal, Hudson river, Erie canal)
Good luck, you’ll have a great time.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 20:22   #43

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
Go for the Morris
+1112112
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:59   #44

Cool Re: $100,000 to put in a money pit

I found two things! A local guy 67 years young, that is retired, that has sailed all over the globe that can not pay for keeping a boat anymore and will help me to learn what I need to know for food, drink and a birth and use of a boat. I also found a Christ Craft 35 ketch on Lake Michigan for $26,375 that I really like, not as well as the Morris but price is a lot better and I shouldn't take a bad hit on it when it goes up for sale again after learning. It should keep my $100,000 intact. I can then go to the east coast and buy a nice boat to do my dream.

I wish to thank all who has responded as you have maybe keep me from doing a dumb thing and spending the $100,000 stupid. Still like the Morris better though.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
I found two things! A local guy 67 years young, that is retired, that has sailed all over the globe that can not pay for keeping a boat anymore and will help me to learn what I need to know for food, drink and a birth and use of a boat. I also found a Christ Craft 35 ketch on Lake Michigan for $26,375 that I really like, not as well as the Morris but price is a lot better and I shouldn't take a bad hit on it when it goes up for sale again after learning. It should keep my $100,000 intact. I can then go to the east coast and buy a nice boat to do my dream.

I wish to thank all who has responded as you have maybe keep me from doing a dumb thing and spending the $100,000 stupid. Still like the Morris better though.

Wise choice. Don't know about that particular boat, but the principle is a good one. Preserve your funds, get some sailing experience. There are LOTS of boats available, and the more expensive ones tend to sit on the For Sale sites with less than stellar maintenance.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money