Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 21:00   #121

Boat: Beneteau/343
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Step up to the plate and end the nonsense: Buy a boat. Rent a slip. Meet other boaters. Realize sailing is NOT for you. Talk to boaters in your marina. Buy a bigger boat. Rent a bigger slip. Learn a thing or two. Realize power boats are NOT for you. Buy a sailboat with (a) bigger motor(s) add a washer and dryer, internet and satellite TV; everything changes. Now you're a boater who can advise the noobees. ALL is well.
Huh? I thought my idea was pretty practical.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:21   #122

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

With that money involved, I'd hire Bob Perry or Lin and Larry Pardey for their opinion. An investment that would repay you dividends for your new cruising life.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:23   #123

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
"Cat Man Do"; hull speed (of multi-hull)= 1.74 x (sq rt of LWL) ergo 12.5K = 50'+. Again, please don't confuse speculation with physics it's an nonsensical insult to the discussion. Boats 50'+ in the 15+ knot range are NOT displacement hulls "period"
Some reading for you from some who actually knows what they are talking about
Quote:
This is largely because a displacement catamaran can, unlike its monohulled cousin, often go just as fast as a planning one, and in some conditions faster.
Catamaran Comparisons by Malcolm Tennant
Give it a go, you might learn somthing.
Old 27-06-2011, 21:54   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Give it a go, you might learn somthing.
Yeah, no. Just another opinion. Math is math.
Sorry. While it's true multi hulls MIGHT be faster than monos in some conditions, they become EXTREMELY unstable doing it. I'll take a mono in a kick ass sitiuation over a multi or planing hull any day of the week. At least a mono will recover, while a multi become an upside down life raft (maybe). Getting to your destination actually counts.

Attachment 29002

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 22:28   #125

l’Hydroptère has just recorded a speed peak of 61 knots this morning. Thus, the flying trimaran is the first sailing boat to reach such an extraordinary speed. Ummmm, here's what you might get with a $1,500,000 multi-hull.

Attachment 29003

And then there's:

Attachment 29004

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 22:39   #126

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Mindless unrelated crap
Did you read the article I linked to?

When you do, and actually have something worthwhile to contribute, please try again.
Old 28-06-2011, 00:12   #127

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
With that money involved, I'd hire Bob Perry or Lin and Larry Pardey for their opinion. An investment that would repay you dividends for your new cruising life.
Don't think the OP is the Lin and Larry type.

Quote:
Yeah, no. Just another opinion. Math is math.
Sorry. While it's true multi hulls MIGHT be faster than monos in some conditions, they become EXTREMELY unstable doing it. I'll take a mono in a kick ass sitiuation over a multi or planing hull any day of the week. At least a mono will recover, while a multi become an upside down life raft (maybe). Getting to your destination actually counts.

Attachment 29002
I thought the Americas Cup settled this a while back and that's why they have now gone to mults.
Old 28-06-2011, 00:38   #128

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Having come somewhat late to the discussion and having read all of the posts, I have a contrarian point of view. Buy the Nordhavn. There is no doubt that you can purchase a grand 60 ft+ sailboat on your budget, but it's quite a different thing to actually SAIL a 60 ft boat in the many conditions that you will find in your world travels. There are 2 of you. If one of you becomes injured (hey, it happens) then there is one of you. You need to ask yourself how well your SO will handle the sails on a 60 footer when you're laid up down below. This is supposed to be your REWARD, remember? Now, think about turning the key and DRIVING to the Caribbean. Rough weather? You'll be toasty warm inside while the SO whips up a coupla steaks for dinner. No wind? You'll be tooling along on a flat sea. Anchored in a lovely cove? Time to hoist the Jet Ski and do some exploring. The people you are talking to have YEARS of sailing experience. I remember when Nordhavn launched the 37, they threw 6 people on board, including the company president, and simply DROVE around the world. No issues, no problems, just a pleasant trip. I did a lot of investigation into them a few years back and Nordhavns are bulletproof. When you return from your adventure, the resale is outstanding. Well, you asked, and that's what I think.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 01:02   #129

Boat: Able 50

And the diesel bill will be . . . . . .

Real world prices please, not those absurdly low US prices.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 01:09   #130

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Mike,

Check out the FF52. Three are out of the mold now and should be finished by end of the year
Should be fast and safe,

FreeFlow Catamarans
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 04:03   #131

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Having come somewhat late to the discussion and having read all of the posts, I have a contrarian point of view. Buy the Nordhavn. There is no doubt that you can purchase a grand 60 ft+ sailboat on your budget, but it's quite a different thing to actually SAIL a 60 ft boat in the many conditions that you will find in your world travels. There are 2 of you. If one of you becomes injured (hey, it happens) then there is one of you. You need to ask yourself how well your SO will handle the sails on a 60 footer when you're laid up down below. This is supposed to be your REWARD, remember? Now, think about turning the key and DRIVING to the Caribbean. Rough weather? You'll be toasty warm inside while the SO whips up a coupla steaks for dinner. No wind? You'll be tooling along on a flat sea. Anchored in a lovely cove? Time to hoist the Jet Ski and do some exploring. The people you are talking to have YEARS of sailing experience. I remember when Nordhavn launched the 37, they threw 6 people on board, including the company president, and simply DROVE around the world. No issues, no problems, just a pleasant trip. I did a lot of investigation into them a few years back and Nordhavns are bulletproof. When you return from your adventure, the resale is outstanding. Well, you asked, and that's what I think.

Mike
That might not make him very popular in that "lovely cove".
Old 28-06-2011, 07:35   #132

I find it interesting how people have the ability to read a few posts on the internet and KNOW how those people live. I’m glad I don’t have that ability…..

After all the experienced advice from this post we think that we should purchase a smaller sailboat next summer, probably in the 42 to 48 foot range (6’ maximum keel and under 65’ mast). We live in the Southeast US and can get to Hilton Head within a few hours where I can dock this thing. Sail over a two year span in the Southeast, Bahamas and the Caribbean, still living at home but spending time getting to know the lifestyle and if it’s for us.
Then, after several years when we are ready to cut all ties at home, decide if we want a larger boat to circumnavigate for ten years. My only downside here is the sale of our boat to purchase a larger one…

Thank you again to those who have contributed their wisdom to this thread…
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 08:22   #133

Boat: Westsail 32

...very sensible and down to earth great, fortunate location...you'll have no trouble selling a good boat when you choose. Once again very best of luck.
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:04   #134

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
snip
Then, after several years when we are ready to cut all ties at home, decide if we want a larger boat to circumnavigate for ten years. My only downside here is the sale of our boat to purchase a larger one…

Thank you again to those who have contributed their wisdom to this thread…
Mark
Generally speaking, your depreciation hit on a smaller boat (and operating costs) will be less than the larger one in the same period. So that's not a "downside". You're going to take the hit sooner or later, unless you buy a scarce boat that's in demand and the currency fluctuations work in your favor. The level of upkeep you do will also have a big effect on keeping the resale value high.

(I have owned three Dragonfly trimarans in the last 10 years and sold the first two for more than I paid. I bought my current boat three years ago when it was 8 years old and paid more than the original owner paid for it new, and I know I could still get 100%+ of my initial cost back, based on the current market. That's a VERY low total cost of ownership.) A major factor is cost of replacement for new boats of the same or similar model.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:52   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Generally speaking, your depreciation hit on a smaller boat (and operating costs) will be less than the larger one in the same period. So that's not a "downside". You're going to take the hit sooner or later, unless you buy a scarce boat that's in demand and the currency fluctuations work in your favor. The level of upkeep you do will also have a big effect on keeping the resale value high.

(I have owned three Dragonfly trimarans in the last 10 years and sold the first two for more than I paid. I bought my current boat three years ago when it was 8 years old and paid more than the original owner paid for it new, and I know I could still get 100%+ of my initial cost back, based on the current market. That's a VERY low total cost of ownership.) A major factor is cost of replacement for new boats of the same or similar model.
In making this decision I’m also deciding to take a hit on the backside. No problem, considering other than the initial boat buy no other funds need to come out of future retirement. I make more than enough to pay for all expenses out of my business income.
I would worry a little on how long it would take to sell a 46’ boat. Do I now concentrate on a major brand, Amel, Southerly etc., knowing there are fewer on the market than say an IP and I have a better chance to sell when I want to???
Sheesh, always tradeoffs…..
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote