Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2011, 16:49   #91

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

totally agree.
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 17:03   #92

The OP (that’s me BTW) will move onto this boat in 3 years, whichever one I end up purchasing…. It’s certainly NOT going to sit in a marina! I am going to cruse all over the world, whether it be in a sail or power, not sure yet. Many unanswered questions will need to figure out over the next several years, and then some I presume….
Do we want to spend 6 to 8 weeks without any sight of shore being a BIG one?
I’ve worked hard and built a business from nothing. I employee people and that’s been my greatest reward but now it’s my turn.
I totally understand your reasoning behind the “simple sailing” and will ponder it over the next several years, thank you for that. I also, as stated previously, believe we are nowhere near the bottom in the world’s economy and I have no idea where it’s going to end up eventually. Too many people in this world feel entitled and want everything given to them…..
Do I need to spend 1.5mil on a boat? Of course not! It’s what I have as a set aside with a minimum of 15% cost of boat yearly income without touching any principal. I’m definitely not taking any money with me when I die and will probably end up doing some good with it later years for those who have never had a chance in life….
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 18:46   #93

Mark, I have absolutely no doubt that you are capable of world cruising and wish you the very best, we all have the same respect in that sense. Other than
the simplicity point, which has already been made I would just like to mention my own experience and observation. Being out at sea for month in all conditons is an extraordinary experience and worth going for, the Oceans
are magnificent. Boats are simply vehicles for that experience and not the end all. Like the zen adage, the finger pointing to the moon...ie...don't get hung up on the finger. Its the experience and the connection with the ocean and world cultures that are so enriching along with the freedom we yearn for.
The right boat will come to you and you will know it when it happens...don't get confused by all the opinions and advice. Do as much homework as you can and get advised by all the experience professionals, but just trust your own intuition. Very best of luck...bon voyage.
Old 26-06-2011, 18:48   #94

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Nordhavens are very nice, and it sounds like your kitty can stand the pressure...mine couldn't. I think you're on the right track. Sounds like fuel costs will be irrelavent for you too. Many will be envious, heck many are envious of my old skow...go figure. Don't even think of purchasing your first year of shopping and you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Purchase sometime during the second year, spend what time is left learning how to make it go and stop. Hiring a captain and learning from him will help that curve.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 19:00   #95

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasino View Post
Diesel is currently like $12 a gallon in Europe/Med...in three years its likely to be circa $15 or higher,
And it other parts of the world it is $2.35/gallon
If based in that part of the world cruising the myriad of islands and countries and with a $mill.5 to spend, I would have a look at something like this and still have $600k in the bank earning 36000 litres of fuel/year

Quote:
"Wild Blue", the Strong 60 Offshore Power Catamaran, was designed to be fast, fuel efficient, offshore passage making over 300 miles a day, to explore and fish Pacific Islands with a range up to 3000 miles. Spending NZ summers in local waters and then heading up to the Pacific Islands for winter, to enjoy the tropics. This Strong 60 Offshore Power cat has traveled over 25,000 miles with confidence and comfort visiting out of the way places such as Minerva Reef, Loyalty and Norfolk Islands, often with only a crew of two.

2004 Strong 60 Offshore Power Cat - Boats For Sale - Used Boats - Boat ID 22461 - Yacht and Boat Sales
I would extend the shade out to the back beam though, making a HUGE undercover back patio
Old 26-06-2011, 19:02   #96

Quote:
Mark, I have absolutely no doubt that you are capable of world cruising and wish you the very best, we all have the same respect in that sense. Other than
the simplicity point, which has already been made I would just like to mention my own experience and observation. Being out at sea for month in all conditons is an extraordinary experience and worth going for, the Oceans
are magnificent. Boats are simply vehicles for that experience and not the end all. Like the zen adage, the finger pointing to the moon...ie...don't get hung up on the finger. Its the experience and the connection with the ocean and world cultures that are so enriching along with the freedom we yearn for.
The right boat will come to you and you will know it when it happens...don't get confused by all the opinions and advice. Do as much homework as you can and get advised by all the experience professionals, but just trust your own intuition. Very best of luck...bon voyage.
Thank you so much for this post! I have a good head start here in what to look at and think about over the next couple of years. To us it is about the journey, the foreign cultures, the life experiences we are about to embark on…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Nordhavens are very nice, and it sounds like your kitty can stand the pressure...mine couldn't. I think you're on the right track. Sounds like fuel costs will be irrelavent for you too. Many will be envious, heck many are envious of my old skow...go figure. Don't even think of purchasing your first year of shopping and you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Purchase sometime during the second year, spend what time is left learning how to make it go and stop. Hiring a captain and learning from him will help that curve.
Actually, it’s not the fuel cost AT ALL, it’s the future availability that concerns me. I’m not sure about what’s going to happen in the middle east and if all goes to s**t I want to be somewhere where I can ride it out.
Mark
Old 27-06-2011, 08:54   #97

...300 miles aday? Why bother, miss the entire point of cruising..might as well go on a cruise ship for that matter.
Old 27-06-2011, 09:11   #98

Quote:
...300 miles aday? Why bother, miss the entire point of cruising..might as well go on a cruise ship for that matter.
Aye, Ret should be saving his posts and look at them a year from now, then 5 years from now. Not wanting to pee in anybodies FW tank, this is all sounding like a wet dream.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 13:58   #99

It started with the title "1.5 million"...advice on how to spend someone else's money...
Old 27-06-2011, 14:11   #100

LOL, let's start out with a few cases of beer and work our way up to the good stuff. 1.5 mil will get you a decent boat AND a great party, 30K for the boat and the rest to party with.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 14:33   #101

have to agree..

Amel 54 -- AMEL - AMEL Yard

thoughts, ret?
gasaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 15:33   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasaholic View Post
have to agree..

Amel 54 -- AMEL - AMEL Yard

thoughts, ret?
I would hope there’s one at the Newport or Annapolis shows.
Would love to see it….
Mark
Old 27-06-2011, 15:36   #103

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
I think its is you who misses the entire point of cruising.
I thought the entire point of cruising was the destination.
If it was the passage, cruisers would be sailing non stop, not sailing for a week and then parking for 6 months.

Anyway, its only 12.5 knots, even decent monohulls are capable of those speeds
Old 27-06-2011, 15:49   #104

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I went down to the Caribbean last Fall and came back in May - the Norhavn across the dock from me hadn't moved and hasn't moved since - its a little one - 48 feet.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 16:05   #105

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

12.5 kts in a displacement hull? What's that - a 80 ft + waterline? (1.34 X sq rt of waterline) Not easily done. Of course that is theoretical and healed sailboats have longer waterlines than their staic waterline when not healed over.I'm happy to average 200 miles/day with a 50 ft static waterline on a 58 ft boat. You would need about a 100 ft displacement hulled trawler to do better than 12.5 kts. Try buying that for 1.5m.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote