Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 17:36   #166

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: 1.5 Mil. to Spend….

Please forgive me for not reading the entire thread..but 1.5M what? colones? balboas? Pesos? US$? AUS$ LBS? etc.?

It definitly matters. Again sorry if this has already been covered.
Old 04-07-2011, 18:26   #167

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Please forgive me for not reading the entire thread..but 1.5M what? colones? balboas? Pesos? US$? AUS$ LBS? etc.?

It definitly matters. Again sorry if this has already been covered.
Maybe the Amero?

OpEdNews - Article: SO SAY THE BANKERS: Learn to Love the 'AMERO'
Old 04-07-2011, 18:59   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Maybe the Amero?
No, times have changed since October 2008. Canada won't want it now, despite the amusing appeal of 'saved by loonie' headlines.

USA could be the new Greece, but is fundamentally more sound and resilient. Quitting very expensive and unwinnable military activities will start a recovery. But the 'time-honoured', if not honourable, debt solutions of devalued currency and inflation will also be in the vanguard.

I don't see a bankers conspiracy. I do see people saving and hopefully becoming permanently disillusioned with consumerism. So the Asian factories, and the lending from their governments to prop up consumer countries, will need to shift to catering to domestic, er ...yes, consumers. Maybe those ones can have less excess than us?

Not sayin' that 1.5 mill for a boat is excess mind you - boats are always the exception.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 20:00   #169
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I used to race Hobie cats in my youth and took people out in a larger cat in Aruba on sunset cruses when I worked there in the 70’s.
Thanks Again
Mark
Do you happen to know Buddy Bond ? He's an old friend of mine from the multihull business.
Brian
Old 04-07-2011, 23:51   #170

OMG, let's torch this thread; it's all just cyber-sexlessness.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22   #171
Marine Service Provider

Polyurea coatings...WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
...I bought that cast-iron keeled boat as a new one and kept it 8 years. Every year after the 3rd I needed to grind and recoat to try to prevent the rust that weeped out from beneath the cracks in the coating. It was awful work and that was on a fully external keel, not a lifting one with internal parts. I wouldn't EVER own another cast iron keel.
There are some interesting new materials coming to market that can very likely have an impact on our boat vessels. Take a look at this video, particular towards the end. And maybe the related videos on Polyurea

Old 05-07-2011, 09:25   #172
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
... Unfortunately they destroyed the molds of the Mason and Taswell sail boats.
That's sad to hear.

BTW Specialdocens, your Taswell is a beauty
Old 05-07-2011, 09:31   #173
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
The Nordhavn motor-sailer is a power trawler with an auxiliary sail supposedly capable of moving the boat at hull speed. Ugly looking boat with an uglier sail system operated from an open cockpit situated forward of the raised salon. Somebody really missed on this one.
I'll have to agree with you on that one....I think they were just trying to capitalize on the word 'MotorSailer'...a vessel type I have LONG been a fan of.
Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden - YachtForums.Com
Old 05-07-2011, 09:39   #174
Marine Service Provider

Simply her Sheer...Sheer Beauty that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
I chose our current boat strictly from a practicality point of view. Cost, tankage, accomadation, stowage. I didn't much care for her look. But now, after some cruising, cleaning, and additions, I'm beginning to catch myself looking bak as I leave the marina. It doesn't hurt hearing all the comments from people how lovely she is either. And she even sails better than her reputation!
Excerpt from a letter I once wrote

Just finished reading your article about Ray Hunt in the June issue of Soundings, I wanted to write and let you know how much I truly enjoyed the article.

You captured not only the factual history, but more importantly, some of the essence of being involved with yachts and yacht design itself….. "the measure of total understanding of the nature of a boat."

And most importantly, you included the oft forgotten element, the sheer line. What a terribly important factor! Romantically stated, but oh so true, "it is simply her sheer … sheer beauty that is. She enters the harbor like a beautiful woman entering a room. Her sheer is the line we try to get right when we doodle boats." So many of today’s boats lack this beauty, and correspondingly, some of the essence of yesteryear’s yachting.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56   #175
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Having come somewhat late to the discussion and having read all of the posts, I have a contrarian point of view. Buy the Nordhavn. There is no doubt that you can purchase a grand 60 ft+ sailboat on your budget, but it's quite a different thing to actually SAIL a 60 ft boat in the many conditions that you will find in your world travels. There are 2 of you. If one of you becomes injured (hey, it happens) then there is one of you. You need to ask yourself how well your SO will handle the sails on a 60 footer when you're laid up down below. This is supposed to be your REWARD, remember? Now, think about turning the key and DRIVING to the Caribbean. Rough weather? You'll be toasty warm inside while the SO whips up a coupla steaks for dinner. No wind? You'll be tooling along on a flat sea. Anchored in a lovely cove? Time to hoist the Jet Ski and do some exploring. The people you are talking to have YEARS of sailing experience. I remember when Nordhavn launched the 37, they threw 6 people on board, including the company president, and simply DROVE around the world. No issues, no problems, just a pleasant trip. I did a lot of investigation into them a few years back and Nordhavns are bulletproof. When you return from your adventure, the resale is outstanding. Well, you asked, and that's what I think.

Mike
Opps..!

...and that's not a big sea. Do you wonder why people ship there trawlers across major oceans...on board other SHIPS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolling Trawler.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	29301  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:18   #176
Marine Service Provider

Multihulls for the Bahamas....and resale

Quote:
After all the experienced advice from this post we think that we should purchase a smaller sailboat next summer, probably in the 42 to 48 foot range (6’ maximum keel and under 65’ mast). We live in the Southeast US and can get to Hilton Head within a few hours where I can dock this thing. Sail over a two year span in the Southeast, Bahamas and the Caribbean, still living at home but spending time getting to know the lifestyle and if it’s for us.
Then, after several years when we are ready to cut all ties at home, decide if we want a larger boat to circumnavigate for ten years. My only downside here is the sale of our boat to purchase a larger one…

Thank you again to those who have contributed their wisdom to this thread…
Mark
That is probaly an excellent idea. And if you really want to explore the very shallow Bahamas you might just consider a multihull. Resale on these multi's can be pretty good as there aren't as many around.

Maybe a 'picnic' cat like this one:
Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - YachtForums.Com

..or a powersailer like this:
HK40' - Power Sailing Catamaran.

...or a 62' power cat like this one that belongs to a friend:
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -

Old 05-07-2011, 10:26   #177
Marine Service Provider

Wife's Input

Quote:
I am 6’4”. I also am used to amenities, which I can live without a lot of them but certain things are important.
Again, I haven’t stepped on a sailboat yet but I do like the look of the center cockpits. How about a 3 or 4 year old IP 485? Resale value? Learning experience?
I am just guessing here and if we do head in this direction a lot will depend on the shows and a couple of charters this winter, buying a boat next June.
Thanks again everyone….
Mark
I'll make you a bet. If you charter both a mono and a multihull this winter, your wife will be SOLD on the multihull.

Why else do you find all the charter companies with big fleets of these. The wives and families LOVE multihulls.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21   #178
Marine Service Provider

Batch of Multiple Postings

Please excuse my whole batch of multiple postings all at once, but they just came about as I was reading thru the whole subject thread in the odere that they had been posted.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:58   #179

Beiland: Sorry for breaking up your 8 post streak

If you have no plans to sail in the Baltic or anywhere that you might need to dodge ice (and assuming you want to sail) I think you should strongly consider getting a catamaran. I don't intend to force this thread off topic by discussing the pros/cons between multis and monos which have been...considered...on this forum ad nauseam.*

Boat Suggestion #1: Gunboat 48 - Designed for speed and practicality. Designed by Morelli and Melvin (genius' both) it is probably one of the best looking cats you can find.

Side Note: Catamaran boat size is a little misleading. Because they are so wide Cats have much more space than equal length monos. This 48ft Cat is equivalent to buying a 60-65ft Monohull in terms of living space.

Boat Suggestion #2: Chris White's Atlantic 57 - Chris White is another brilliant designer who has made some truly fantastic boats. The A57 if extremely fast and practical. With her size there is no lack of comfort, space, or accommodation. While it is a bit ugly (sort of a F-117 Nighthawk look) everyone that I've talked to who has been on or owned one firmly believes that Chris White should be allowed to write his own section in the bible.

*All are welcome to PM me if you want to hear the reasoning behind my opinion. I hate to leave my opinions unqualified, but in this I probably don't have much of a choice, do I?
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 15:53   #180

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Multihulls for the Bahamas....and resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post

...or a 62' power cat like this one that belongs to a friend:
That is a serious chunk of boat for less than a Million$

A modified Albatross 61?
Malcolm Tennant Multihull Design Ltd - Albatross - 61