Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 11:09   #136

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Wouldn't touch a Southerly with its cast-iron keel. I think you will likely do better at resale with a high-quality boat that has fewer on the market, assuming it was well maintained. On the one hand there are more people looking for the bigger sellers, on the other hand there will be more "comparable" listings with the higher production brands, and the "market price" is more clearly defined as a result. If you find someone who is looking for your "niche" boat and there are fewer on the market, your buyer's alternative and your competition becomes new boats of the same type. That helps your used valuation.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:13   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I would worry a little on how long it would take to sell a 46’ boat. Do I now concentrate on a major brand, Amel, Southerly etc., knowing there are fewer on the market than say an IP and I have a better chance to sell when I want to???
Sheesh, always tradeoffs…..
I would look at brand / model resale value as an indication of demand, and talk to brokers about time on market.

But I wouldn't obsess about minimizing the depreciation, otherwise you're going to end up with a fourteen-foot Bayliner or something. You're talking about a 46-foot boat, which many people would consider to be the best size for a couple to cruise on. Most people do it with smaller boats. You may very well find that your "practice" boat does everything you want, especially once, with the practice, you fine-tune your expectations. Worry about trading up if and when you decide you want something bigger.

Buy a quality boat. Treat it well. Have fun.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:54   #138

Boat: Westsail 32

Actually for that size, and retaining value a Pacific Seacraft 44 is a brilliant choice IMO...
DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 14:03   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I love my PSC44, but it's not going to suit everyone. Due to the canoe stern and moderate beam and freeboard it doesn't have the space below that many people would expect in a 44-ft boat. The aft "stateroom" is quite cramped with minimum standing room. You're not going to be able to fit a washing machine or dryer (unless you gut the forward head), and the tankage is small compared to newer cruising boats of this size.

I don't think this is what RetSurfer is looking for, although perhaps their priorities will change after some experience.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 28-06-2011, 14:15   #140

I am 6’4”. I also am used to amenities, which I can live without a lot of them but certain things are important.
Again, I haven’t stepped on a sailboat yet but I do like the look of the center cockpits. How about a 3 or 4 year old IP 485? Resale value? Learning experience?
I am just guessing here and if we do head in this direction a lot will depend on the shows and a couple of charters this winter, buying a boat next June.
Thanks again everyone….
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 14:18   #141

Agree...and you are probably right about what he is probably looking for, but also agree that will likely change with more experience, but to me a PSC44 is a castle and alot of boat for world cruising. Nigel Calder inspired that idea and I think his is a 37 or 40. Its just hard to imagine needing more than that but that is just my opinion.
Old 28-06-2011, 14:30   #142

... ahhh...6'4", that explains everything, now I understand....
Old 28-06-2011, 14:42   #143
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

With your budget... why put yourself through all the hardship and trouble? Just get a Sundeer and enjoy life on the water!

I have a 64' but there's also 60' and 56' varieties. You will not want to trade it for anything else (except another Sundeer may be).

Sundeer boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 14:45   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For what it's worth, my dock neighbor has a Nordhavn 43, and this is a comfortable, well-made, ocean-crossing boat. It probably has 4x the space below that my 44ft sloop has, and all the amenities you could want. I helped the owner take it from San Francisco to southern Calif. and it was quite civilized, even getting around Pt. Conception in some decent-sized seas (but we were going downwind and down sea). No foulies required, we were in t-shirts drinking coffee in the pilot house.

If the cost of diesel isn't an issue, and you aren't a born sailor, The Nordhavn would be a great choice. My wife likes VALIS, but I don't think she would mind one bit if we got a Nordhavn. Fortunately, she understands my need for sails.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 28-06-2011, 14:54   #145

...Hallberg Rassey 46 to 49 could also be included in the deck of cards, but it quickly becomes a slippery slope of many possibilities....but HR is simply my taste, though
out of my neighborhood...
Old 28-06-2011, 14:58   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, if you want to cross oceans with a motor boat, Nordhavn is a very good choice. If you are okay with crossing seas but not oceans (like Caribbean etc) then I also like a Grand Banks around 42'.

But for a sailboat, I would never buy something under 50' with your budget!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-06-2011, 15:04   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasino View Post
...Hallberg Rassey 46 to 49 could also be included in the deck of cards, but it quickly becomes a slippery slope of many possibilities....but HR is simply my taste, though
out of my neighborhood...
HR is a quality boat, but with 1.5mil I can't recommend to buy one under 50'.

In the same class of quality: Hallberg Rassy, Contest, Sundeer, Oyster, Trintella, Swan, Hinckley, Farr Pilothouse Yachts, Bowman etc. Something like Amel follows closely but the difference is there. I would still consider Amel though, but only when pressed by budget constraints.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-06-2011, 17:15   #148

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I find it interesting how people have the ability to read a few posts on the internet and KNOW how those people live. I’m glad I don’t have that ability…..

After all the experienced advice from this post we think that we should purchase a smaller sailboat next summer, probably in the 42 to 48 foot range (6’ maximum keel and under 65’ mast). We live in the Southeast US and can get to Hilton Head within a few hours where I can dock this thing. Sail over a two year span in the Southeast, Bahamas and the Caribbean, still living at home but spending time getting to know the lifestyle and if it’s for us.
Then, after several years when we are ready to cut all ties at home, decide if we want a larger boat to circumnavigate for ten years. My only downside here is the sale of our boat to purchase a larger one…

Thank you again to those who have contributed their wisdom to this thread…
Mark
I think this is an excellent decision. I would suggest something even smaller (35-40') might make the learning curve more enjoyable and still accomplish your objective. A 42-48 footer is a lot to handle for a couple, but I think you will learn that when you do some chartering especially once you do some bareboat chartering.

As for unloading the first boat with a minimum of fuss, I'd find a really good broker (there are some, I know one in Annapolis I'd gladly recommend) and get their advice on what moves quickly. I would guess something well know in the US like a HR or IP. You want something well known for its quality but not so exotic that its a niche boat. A broker can also run some reports from SoldBoat for you that show you how long a particular model is usually on the market.

Good luck and have fun. Hope we weren't too hard on you.
Old 28-06-2011, 17:51   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think this is an excellent decision. I would suggest something even smaller (35-40') might make the learning curve more enjoyable and still accomplish your objective. A 42-48 footer is a lot to handle for a couple, but I think you will learn that when you do some chartering especially once you do some bareboat chartering.

As for unloading the first boat with a minimum of fuss, I'd find a really good broker (there are some, I know one in Annapolis I'd gladly recommend) and get their advice on what moves quickly. I would guess something well know in the US like a HR or IP. You want something well known for its quality but not so exotic that its a niche boat. A broker can also run some reports from SoldBoat for you that show you how long a particular model is usually on the market.

Good luck and have fun. Hope we weren't too hard on you.
Thank you…..
As for being hard on me, this was a drop in the bucket compared what I go through on a daily basis in business for myself!
I have learned a great deal this week and think we have made the right decision for now. Also, I get to get back on the water a little sooner.
This sail arena is completely different than power. I would not have a second thought of buying a 55 Fleming and being able to handle it quickly, here though the learning curve will be much greater…
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 18:11   #150
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
With your budget... why put yourself through all the hardship and trouble? Just get a Sundeer and enjoy life on the water!

I have a 64' but there's also 60' and 56' varieties. You will not want to trade it for anything else (except another Sundeer may be).

Sundeer boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

ciao!
Nick.
-Great recommondation, great fast boat as well and if i had 900,000 NZ dollars to spare at todays excahange rate id probably grab that one listed with the VAT tax allready paid. However i think a condo with dock and modest yacht is safer as i wonder how much i lose in depreciation over a 5yr period on this 900k yacht. Cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote