Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 20:27   #631

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You say credentials are important but all you do is condemn by association. Just because someone is funded by an organization does not make their findings wrong. You attack their source of income but not their science.
No I did'nt I did no such thing. Where did you get this idea from

I didn't attack anybody's source of income, nor did I attack any findings.

What you talking about Willis?
Old 29-03-2015, 21:37   #632

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Others have done that already.

The only thing that vid does is expose the typical tactics of an "alarmist"

It has the playbook attempt at character assassination and ridicule. In this case made comedic by the multiple spelling mistakes in the presentation which reflects poorly on the credentials of it's creator.

Also, under "A TROPICAL HEAT WAVE" title, this poor boob makes the point that said heat waves are irrelevant because they don't represent global surface temps. Tropical heat waves aka heating of the troposphere is a smoking gun that confirms the level of forced feedback used in models as a result of increased water vapor. Without significant observed heating, especially within the doldrums, the implication is that climate models have the parameter settings that force feedback set too high.

Note how in this related 2007 IPCC report how often the word "overestimated" is used. I'd describe it as "backpedaling", myself: https://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and...ch7s7-4-4.html

More from our favorite respected skeptic here: Tropospheric and surface temperatures | Climate Etc.
Old 29-03-2015, 23:46   #633

Has anyone seen Chasing Ice? It's a doco on Netflix.
Old 30-03-2015, 08:27   #634

Yep

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427729228435.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	99705  
Old 30-03-2015, 13:59   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Yep

Sent from my LG-E980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
And what did you think about it

Preferably more than one syllable response or don't bother

Has anyone who's a skeptic seen it and got anything out of it?

Reefmagnet, I'd be I terested in your views given your prolific postings
Old 30-03-2015, 15:41   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
And what did you think about it

Preferably more than one syllable response or don't bother

Has anyone who's a skeptic seen it and got anything out of it?

Reefmagnet, I'd be I terested in your views given your prolific postings
I watched it last night on my tablet and was a bit disappointed that it came across as a bit of a self promoting bio for James Bolag (Is that his name - sounds like one of your beers???). I mean, let's do a movie about glacial retreat - which was funded, partially at least, from grant monies (as mentioned in the narrative) - but I'll include an interview with my daughter, wife, dog (well maybe he wasn't in it, I dunno) telling everyone how good I am, along with 10 minutes of footage with me visiting doctors to fix my dicky knees and then, right at the very end of the show, there'll be the money shot of about 5 minutes of actual time lapse glacial retreat.

Then of course there was this dude telling us how the planet is doomed and that "we" must do something about it whilst he and his crew did some considerable flying around Iceland, Greenland and Alaska - no doubt at considerable US tax payer expense - in a collection of rather large planes, helicopters and boats whilst chopping and drilling into the virgin rock in order to mount camera frames. Of course the biggest chuckle was noticing the SUV parked in his driveway during one of the scenes where he and his team were sorting out a bunch of brand new shiny gear and equipment (did I mention the grants???) in his home's driveway.

All up, I'll give this one 2 out of 5 stars. Some very nice time lapse footage of retreating glaciers and the large calving episode they caught on film was impressive although if it went for 75 minutes I think they could have included a bit more on this in the film. All up, however, I feel a bit sad that this guy was given, presumably, bucket loads of cash to undertake this vanity project which really did not do anything to advance science when the money perhaps could have been better spent on something more worthwhile e.g. bringing attention to the problem of plastic pollution in the oceans.

As for retreating glaciers, well they've been retreating ever since the end of the ice age, after all that's one "smoking gun" for how scientists know we're exiting said ice age. As the world has warmed slightly further, it can only be expected that some glaciers may accelerate their retreat. On that, the surprising fact I took out of this movie was that 4 glaciers in Alaska have actually been advancing and a not insignificant number are stable.
Old 30-03-2015, 18:33   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I watched it last night on my tablet and was a bit disappointed that it came across as a bit of a self promoting bio for James Bolag (Is that his name - sounds like one of your beers???). I mean, let's do a movie about glacial retreat - which was funded, partially at least, from grant monies (as mentioned in the narrative) - but I'll include an interview with my daughter, wife, dog (well maybe he wasn't in it, I dunno) telling everyone how good I am, along with 10 minutes of footage with me visiting doctors to fix my dicky knees and then, right at the very end of the show, there'll be the money shot of about 5 minutes of actual time lapse glacial retreat.

Then of course there was this dude telling us how the planet is doomed and that "we" must do something about it whilst he and his crew did some considerable flying around Iceland, Greenland and Alaska - no doubt at considerable US tax payer expense - in a collection of rather large planes, helicopters and boats whilst chopping and drilling into the virgin rock in order to mount camera frames. Of course the biggest chuckle was noticing the SUV parked in his driveway during one of the scenes where he and his team were sorting out a bunch of brand new shiny gear and equipment (did I mention the grants???) in his home's driveway.

All up, I'll give this one 2 out of 5 stars. Some very nice time lapse footage of retreating glaciers and the large calving episode they caught on film was impressive although if it went for 75 minutes I think they could have included a bit more on this in the film. All up, however, I feel a bit sad that this guy was given, presumably, bucket loads of cash to undertake this vanity project which really did not do anything to advance science when the money perhaps could have been better spent on something more worthwhile e.g. bringing attention to the problem of plastic pollution in the oceans.

As for retreating glaciers, well they've been retreating ever since the end of the ice age, after all that's one "smoking gun" for how scientists know we're exiting said ice age. As the world has warmed slightly further, it can only be expected that some glaciers may accelerate their retreat. On that, the surprising fact I took out of this movie was that 4 glaciers in Alaska have actually been advancing and a not insignificant number are stable.
ok. I guess that's what your response was then.

I would have thought that the photographic evidence of such a massive change in 'retreat' in just THREE years compared to the retreat of ten's of thousands of years would have perked your interests?

and unless we watched a different film, '4 Glaciers in Alasak have actually been advancing and not insignificant number are stable' ??? I'm going to watch it again tonight because somehow that eluded me.
Old 30-03-2015, 19:37   #638
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Talking of ice...
Just out.

Antarctic ice shelves rapidly thinning -- ScienceDaily

Quote:
Total ice shelf volume (mean thickness multiplied by ice shelf area) across Antarctica changed very little from 1994 to 2003, then declined rapidly, the study shows. West Antarctic ice shelves lost ice throughout the entire observation period, with accelerated loss in the most recent decade. Earlier gains in East Antarctic ice shelf volume ceased after about 2003, the study showed. Some ice shelves lost up to 18 percent of their volume from 1994 to 2012.
Old 30-03-2015, 19:50   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
We've already discussed that, but feel free to add your opinion
Old 30-03-2015, 19:56   #640

Quote:
ok. I guess that's what your response was then.

I would have thought that the photographic evidence of such a massive change in 'retreat' in just THREE years compared to the retreat of ten's of thousands of years would have perked your interests?

and unless we watched a different film, '4 Glaciers in Alasak have actually been advancing and not insignificant number are stable' ??? I'm going to watch it again tonight because somehow that eluded me.
Well, I'd hardly call it "massive". One swallow doesn't make a spring. And I'll hedge a bet that the glaciers observed weren't picked at random . If ALL other glaciers were experiencing "massive" retreats then I would concede that this could quite possibly be a concerning event.
Old 30-03-2015, 20:04   #641

Quote:
Well, I'd hardly call it "massive". One swallow doesn't make a spring. And I'll hedge a bet that the glaciers observed weren't picked at random . If ALL other glaciers were experiencing "massive" retreats then I would concede that this could quite possibly be a concerning event.
A Reconciled Estimate of Glacier Contributions to Sea Level Rise: 2003 to 2009

This is the most recent survey of which I am aware.
Old 30-03-2015, 20:10   #642

Quote:
Reefmagnet, just out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? Around this climate stuff etc I mean?
Old 30-03-2015, 20:34   #643

Quote:
Reefmagnet, just out of curiosity, what are your qualifications? Around this climate stuff etc I mean?
Absolutely zip. That's why I don't do climate research. I Google ** those that do. I don't believe there's a PhD for that?

But if you want the background...
I'm an engineer. Nothing whatsoever with climate science. My only claim to fame is I have worked in industrial R & D and have presented research papers at international conferences in (what was) my field of expertise. Aside from that I'm just the voice of the man in the street skeptic NOT on climate change per se, but the motivations and, as I've written before and will write yet again, the exaggerated information and fear mongering behind it.

Awww..... now I feel kind of warm and fuzzy that my credentials have reached the point of being questioned

I should go start up a blog or something.
Old 30-03-2015, 20:38   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I raise you my link on Venice's sea level rise and the simple MMGW "assumed" sea level contributions I made in earlier posts.
Old 30-03-2015, 20:53   #645
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Awww..... now I feel kind of warm and fuzzy that my credentials have reached the point of being questioned

I should go start up a blog or something.
You are well on your way to being called a Climate Racist...that's when you know you have really scored a good point.

If the believers in MMGW were serious and believed their own hype...they would live off the grid in a carbon emissionless lifestyle without plastics and evil petroleum to keep them warm at night and cool during the day.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water