Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 09:10   #1

Arrow Antarctic

I'm wondering if anyone here has sailed down toward the South Pole.

I've been drawn to that area for some time now and it seems to be getting more attention lately.

Anyone?

Best,
Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:14   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Antarctic

I'll play. The South Pole is in the middle of a mass of land and continental glaciers so you can't sail anywhere near it - perhaps you were thinking of the North Pole. A small number of yachts go to the Antarctic Peninsula south of Cape Horn each year. Not for the faint of heart. but doable.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:35   #3

Read the book ICE BIRD by Dr David Lewis. I have not read this particular book, but have read several of his other books, and he is a very good writer. Clear facts and no Bull Pucky. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:44   #4

Thanks for playing lol

I used "South Pole" as general reference, but Antarctica in the Subject.

Ports in Antarctica - ports.com Apparently 13 ports in the neighborhood, with McMurdo Station probably being the best known.

John Kerry, US Sect'y of State, visited there recently (DURING the Election!), as did Russia's Top Religious Leader (Patriarch Kirill). Also astronaut Buzz Aldrin in December.

Best, Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:15   #5

Boat: Boatless

If you go to Ushuaia and Puerto Williams near Cape Horn you will find a dozen or so steel charter boats that visit Antarctica. Puerto Williams has a Yacht Club where you meet people who have sailed to the ice.

We met a Dutch couple who claimed to have sailed to the ice in a 35 Beneteau! I prefer the Caribbean.

http://www.quixote-expeditions.com/

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Read the book ICE BIRD by Dr David Lewis. I have not read this particular book, but have read several of his other books, and he is a very good writer. Clear facts and no Bull Pucky. ______Grant.
I met David Lewis and Mimi George about 30 years ago when they were in S Florida boat shopping and I was a broker. Definitely for real, a very nice guy to boot and quite an interesting pair to talk to. They had more adventures in a few years than most of us in a lifetime.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Doesn't Snow Petrel go down there? Try looking him up.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:25   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Check out Lisa Blair competing in the Round Antarctica Race.

Whilst definitely not a common destination many have sailed to Antarctica, especially the Peninsula and Islands. Numerous blogs, vlogs and dare I say it, books about their trips.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:27   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Doesn't Snow Petrel go down there? Try looking him up.
Yep he did, here's a link to his web site.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:40   #10

Boat: 1986 Endeavour 42

I would also suggest Eric Forsyth's Yacht Fiona website. He made it in 1998-1999 and has many notes and photos of the trip. I believe he had mechanical issues while attempting to circumnavigate Antarctica a few years ago and had to abandon that trip.
SV Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 13:02   #11

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

There was a boat looking for crew to Antarctica. Doesn't make me think 'cruising'!
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 10:29   #12

Navigational Maps of the Five Antarctic Seas will be Reissued, According to the Results of the OIS “Admiral Vladimirsky” Expedition | Maritime Herald

Quote:
The navigational charts for the Antarctic seas – the Commonwealth, Davis, Cosmonauts, Lazarev and Rieser-Larsen regions – will be republished before the end of 2017 on the results of the expedition of the Admiral Vladimirsky oceanographic research vessel (OIF) of the Russian Navy, said the captain of navigation and oceanography of the Russian Defense Ministry 1 rank Sergei Travin following the meeting, which was held at the Admiralty under the leadership of the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Vladimir Korolev, and was devoted to the results of hydrographic work Navy Service for the Development of Marine Cartography. This is reported by the Department of Information and Mass Communications of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation.

According to Captain Sergey Travin, the re-edition of the navigational charts of the Antarctic seas coincides with the 190th anniversary of the Navigation and Oceanography Directorate, which is celebrated this year. The new maps will be based on materials of research and hydrographic works carried out in 2015-2016 during the Antarctic expedition of the OIS Admiral Vladimirsky.

He also noted that on the basis of the work carried out by the Hydrographic Service of the Navy, one of the world’s largest collection of navigational charts and navigation aids was created, which includes 8400 admiralty nautical chart numbers and 620 guides and swimming aids. “The bank of electronic navigational charts is actively replenished, card printing on demand is introduced and widely used, which allows to completely reduce the cost of storing and transporting cards,” added Sergei Travin.

The Department of Navigation and Oceanography of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation publishes international and national sea navigation maps of the seas washing Antarctica and supports them at the level of modern requirements within the framework of the international obligations of the Russian Federation to create and maintain a national collection of marine navigational charts of the World Ocean.
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 13:44   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> 8400 admiralty nautical chart numbers and 620 guides and swimming aids.

I'll pass on the swimming aids
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 14:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> 8400 admiralty nautical chart numbers and 620 guides and swimming aids.

I'll pass on the swimming aids
You're a wuss!

Polar Plunge: Antarctica Photo by Vanessa Lagios — National Geographic Your Shot
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 14:55   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

On that, we agree 100% .
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc