Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2020, 06:09   #1

Who can give us Sailing lessons onboard catamaran

Looking for sailing instructor who can teach me and my Wife to sail our 2018 Lagoon 40 that we have just purchased in the Med(Hyerres France).

Live aboard position,as we would like to do on the move tuition.We have absolutely no sailing experience but wish to learn all safety aspects,and how to sail while aboard our own vessel.At the end of the experience we would like to be able to receivem of certification like ASA or RMC.

How can we assist each other??

Cheers
Anton Dahlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 06:18   #2
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Who can give us Sailing lessons onboard catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dahlmann View Post
Looking for sailing instructor who can teach me and my Wife to sail our 2018 Lagoon 40 that we have just purchased in the Med(Hyerres France).

Live aboard position,as we would like to do on the move tuition.We have absolutely no sailing experience but wish to learn all safety aspects,and how to sail while aboard our own vessel.At the end of the experience we would like to be able to receivem of certification like ASA or RMC.

Cheers

AFAIK there are 2 local companies with dedicated catamaran training, ACM and Apaca. I don't think they provide any certification, but why would you care ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 06:59   #3

Contact boatman61 who is a member of this forum. He may be interested. He is a Yachtmaster and an exceptionally experienced captain.

(And he is based on your side of the Pond)

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 07:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
AFAIK there are 2 local companies with dedicated catamaran training, ACM and Apaca. I don't think they provide any certification, but why would you care ?
Certification, if done legitimately, shows that one has met a given standard.

I went into my ASA classes knowing quite a bit about boats and sailing. After I took the classes, I knew a heck of a lot more, but I could see where I had much more to learn. I wish ASA had been available when my dad bought a boat. He would have had fewer tense moments if he had had formal, standardized training. It would have been great if I could have taken ASA classes with my dad. I can know see SO MANY ways I could have used that training, but alas, the ASA did not exist back then.

We plan on taking many more classes, both ASA, and others. Some of the classes, both ASA and other, I have already had classes, and in some cases, experience, but we will take those classes anyway.

One of my careers requires yearly, mandatory training. Some of these classes are the same classes year after year after year. Yet, I always learn something new in classes that I have been taking for 25 years. ALWAYS. There is always something to learn.

I would encourage the OP to get training from a well known organization. Training from non accredited people might not be bad, and in fact may be quite good, but how would someone with no experience, know?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 09:38   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

Cheers
In your situation, I think I'd reach out to a couple just off SV Delos in Portugal. Sean and his girlfriend Chia are at loose ends right now and might be up for a new challenge. Sean is South African, has a lot of sea miles under his belt and is very astute when it comes to boat maintenance. Chia, who is Canadian but raised in Argentina is somewhat of a "live wire" but knows her way around a boat. If interested, contact SV Delos as I'm sure Brady and Blue will have their contact info.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 10:19   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

you might contact Mark Thompson, Yachtmaster and RYA master trainer.
He's done this exact thing many times for manufacturers and charter companies, both in the Carib and the Med as well as Australia and US eastern seaboard. You can get your Coastal Skipper and Euro certificates so you are legal all over the Med, and start toward Yachtmaster if so inclined.

Mark is a very pleasant and fun teacher. Technical but experiential. I started as a student but have since worked with him on several deliveries. I've seen him handle all weather and all types of repairs. He is a busy guy. He will have a referral for you at the least.

Mark Thompson <mark@yachtingeducation.com>
Old 28-02-2020, 11:52   #7

Quote:

Cheers

hi there
sounds interesting, as sailing and motorboating instructor with ovder 60 years sailing experience and 10 years instructing experience I could possibly fit the bill.

I am Swiss/Aiustralian, speak also German of course. Have extensive catamaran experience. Delivered a Lagoon 450 from Les sables d'ollone into the Med 5 years ago.
would this be of interest to you? If so, lets communicate per whatsup, my number is +41 79 477 6268
swisspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 12:37   #8

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
In your situation, I think I'd reach out to a couple just off SV Delos in Portugal. Sean and his girlfriend Chia are at loose ends right now and might be up for a new challenge. Sean is South African, has a lot of sea miles under his belt and is very astute when it comes to boat maintenance. Chia, who is Canadian but raised in Argentina is somewhat of a "live wire" but knows her way around a boat. If interested, contact SV Delos as I'm sure Brady and Blue will have their contact info.
You know those videos are released like 6 months after the fact, right? Sean's instagram shows him surfing in Panama right now it seems like. Cool thought though!
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 14:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Anton Dahlmann;3084211]Looking for sailing instructor who can teach me and my Wife to sail our 2018 Lagoon 40 that we have just purchased in the Med(Hyerres France).

Cheers

I think I could help you but there is a lot of sharing of information required before we could get together. I'm not certain how to exchange this information on this web site but, if you could give me an email, I think that might be a way to start.
Old 28-02-2020, 20:01   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandPebbles View Post
You know those videos are released like 6 months after the fact, right? Sean's instagram shows him surfing in Panama right now it seems like. Cool thought though!
Yeah, I guess I really don't follow that stuff too closely. Just found out that Brady and Blue are leaving Delos as well - that's going to leave a huge hole in the line up.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 13:18   #11

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Too bad for me that you are not in the Grenadines/Grenada area. Would love to have helped. Blue Skies.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 15:30   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Another vote for Mark. I raced with him a bit and he's very knowledgeable and also a funny, easygoing guy. Knows the whole Caribbean well I imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
you might contact Mark Thompson, Yachtmaster and RYA master trainer.
He's done this exact thing many times for manufacturers and charter companies, both in the Carib and the Med as well as Australia and US eastern seaboard. You can get your Coastal Skipper and Euro certificates so you are legal all over the Med, and start toward Yachtmaster if so inclined.

Mark is a very pleasant and fun teacher. Technical but experiential. I started as a student but have since worked with him on several deliveries. I've seen him handle all weather and all types of repairs. He is a busy guy. He will have a referral for you at the least.

Mark Thompson <mark@yachtingeducation.com>
Old 01-03-2020, 02:42   #13

Hi people
sorry my initial reply was written in hurry and some typing errors sneaked in.
Reply if interested on whatsapp of course +41 79 477 6268
I for one am really interested and would like to explore this further.

Das können wir auch auf Deutsch machen, dein Name Anton Dahlman lässt auf DE AU oder sogar CH schliessen....
Kontaktaufnahme würde mich freuen
Pete
swisspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Thanks

I did buy the boat from APACA,so I will follow up with them.

I do think I will need to get an icc certificate at the very least
Old 01-03-2020, 05:18   #15

Thank you to you all for the advise I received,i have contacted all the recommended people.

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing, sailing lessons