Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 01:03   #1

Boat: Tartan 28
Skipper Wanted Shakedown Cape to RI

I just bought a Tartan 28. She is in Falmouth on the hard, and I would like to get her launched and shaken down. Ultimately sail her up the Narragansett Bay for wet storage. I realize it is late in the season, therefore window is VERY, very flexible. Willing to compensate............ PM if interested. Post if you think this is a Bad Idea
Carlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:08   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Skipper Wanted Shakedown Cape to RI

Carl,

I suggest that you leave your new boat where she is for the winter and do the projects that you want to do this winter in Falmouth. Learn what you can and when the warmer weather comes back you will be more ready and a lot more comfortable for your trip.

Cheers

An old sailor
AnsleyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 11:21   #3

Boat: 29 ft

There will be surprises on the first trip. The better prepared the boat is, the fewer surprises. Best to do a lot of inspection and maintenance before the first trip. Especially this time of year. Like being sure the tanks are clean. That the standing and running rigging is in good condition. That the sails are in good condition. Also check rudden and prop while the boat is still standing on the hard. .... ... ...
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 13:09   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I grew up sailing Buzzards Bay, Vinyard Sound. We’d go cod fishing off No Mans Land in a wood sail boat 28’ or so. For winter, we would load hundreds of pounds of round beach stone ballast. We’d take down the summer masts and put up the shorter winter spars. As a classic fishing boat, we would put high wash boards on her deck sheer amidship. You’d get mornings flat as summer and the same day, afternoons with green water over the bow.
I hope you see the point I’m hinting at...summer is shake down a new boat time.
Where you are, winter is a not a good break down time.
Summer will be here soon enough. Narragansett Bay is best in the fall.
Remember they called it Buzzards Bay for a reason. LOL
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his Mischaum...Slocum River dreaming manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 19:53   #5

Very solid advice from folks that know a lot more than I do!!!!!! Thank you very much. I will take these recommendations! She is gonna stay on the hard and much effort will be put in getting her seaworthy and safe..... And Lord willing she will have very few surprises... Thank folks for the support. I am definitely listening..... And open to any additional constructive suggestions.
Old 29-11-2020, 19:43   #6

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Well, first things first: Congratulations on the Tartan purchase, and especially so since a few years ago I myself almost bought a lovely Tartan 28 that just needed some TLC (particularly a new engine) and my research showed them to be quite sea worthy, well built and IMHO have great lines.
That said, I have a few sea miles (5K nm during the past few years) and would like to keep in touch for possibly volunteering to crew with you when you are ready to put to sea. I wholeheartedly agree with the other respondents about that being this upcoming spring/summer.
I'm particularly looking for an outing to Block Island. I did bring a Jeaneau from the Vineyard down Buzzard's and back to Newport last July, and New England is really where my sailing heart is. Oh, I also don't mind pitching in for some of the work to help you get her ready, and I'm a multi-decade electrical/electronics professional, so that can be helpful if any of the work involves flaky electrons or the wires they flow through (or don't).
Cheers for now and happy sailing.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 21:51   #7

Than you for the offer of support and I promise we will sail Her in Buzzards Bay! Lord Willing...
I really would appreciate any advice I can get on wiring, electrical. The mast is down and i want to make sure all that gets squared away while I have the chance.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:04   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Bought my boat 5 years ago in Westbrook ct.... left her there over the winter and wife and I went up almost every weekend to clean and empty her, made lists etc..... stayed at small cheesy hotels, ate at great restaurants, froze on the boat during the snowy day. it was one of the best winters we had!
Last thing I would want to do is sail a new boat back in cold potentially crappy weather.

Just my opinion

Good luck and congrats!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 22:56   #9

You folks have talked some sense into me!!!!!!

Tags
skipper, wanted