Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 21:14   #1

Seeking crew from Vancouver to Costa Rica

Markenurh is heading south as soon as the pandemic is over! I sailed to the South Pacific and back after I retired the first time in my 40s. That was 25 years ago. This time I plan to stick to the coast. I am hoping to leave in September for the Bay area, then San Diego and Mexico 2021-22. Costa Rica would be next in 2022-23. After that, who knows? Markenurh is a heavily-built and rigged Mason 40 ketch. Here's her home page Markenurh's Home Page Share expenses and chores. email marcedge at hotmail dot com phone: 778.384.1952
Markenurh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 14:58   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Seeking crew from Vancouver to Costa Rica

Hello, Mark,

What is the Country Code for Canada?
Old 20-05-2021, 16:28   #3

Boat: Contrast 33

Canada and the US share the +1 country code
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 17:16   #4

Yes, the country code is 1. Just as important is the time difference, as Oz is 15-17 hours ahead of PST. It would be best to call in the morning down there to reach me in the afternoon/evening up here . . . and the day before.
Old 21-05-2021, 09:19   #5

Your home page link is not working for me.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 09:48   #6

Oh dear. Try my real home page then. Marc Edge - Home Page
Old 21-05-2021, 12:00   #7

Boat: Jeanneau, 39i, 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to amanoni

Marc,
Curious what number of people are you looking to have aboard typically? Do you have specific legs of the trip planned, meaning are you looking at the route the Coho Ho Ho typically follows down the coast. Stops along the way, like SF Bay, and others in California, Baja etc? Have you been sailing local these past years, to to Broughtons, San Juans etc?
amanoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 12:37   #8

I have not done much sailing since I returned from the South Pacific 20 years ago. Markenurh has been mostly my home while I have been writing five books and my summer home while I have been teaching overseas. I am now retired and in the process of getting Markenurh out on the water again. I am single and would like to have three onboard for insurance purposes. I have a few friends who sail with me but I need to supplement that. I have been planning on heading south next summer, but as they may be re-opening the border soon I might just make a run for it this year.

First stop would be the Bay area. Markenurh spent time in Alameda in 1995, but this time I might try Sausalito or Richmond. After doing some refit work there, I plan to cruise the Channel Islands before stopping in San Diego for a while. I hope to avoid the Baha Ha Ha crowd and to instead take one of the slips they have vacated. I would like to retrace my steps down the Baha to see how it has changed, stopping in Bahia Santa Maria and Bahia Tortuga before anchoring off Cabo San Lucas. We never got around the corner to La Paz last time due to stiff N winds, so I would like to do that this time. From there I would make for Puerto Vallarta and make that a base for cruising the Mexican Riviera as far south as Las Hadas. Onset of hurricane season in April would see us head up into the Sea of Cortez and perhaps even leave Markenurh there for the summer while returning to cooler climes in Canada.

The fall would see us venture south through Mexico again and onward to Costa Rica, stopping in some of the safer countries along the way. I must admit I had not heard of the Coho Ho Ho before, but after googling it I could see tagging along with them. Last time I asked crew contribute $10 a day to expenses, but 25 years later I might have to raise that to $15.
Old 22-05-2021, 14:30   #9

I would be interested in meeting and joining you for some parts or maybe all of the journey. I’m confused, however, that Markenurh is for sale? What’s your plan if you sell her?
BlurredLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 15:06   #10

I am being evicted from the marina where I have lived aboard for the past 20 years. There is no moorage locally due to the boating boom. My first idea was to sell her, but now I think I'll sail her.
Old 22-05-2021, 20:04   #11

Ahh, I see. Well, let me know when you get closer to sailing and maybe I can be of assistance.
BlurredLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 11:33   #12

Hello Mark, I am Sergio from Brazil. I used to live in Nanaimo for 6 months but, now because the pandemic time I am back to my country. I am a professional and experienced sailor doing this kind of route for years, if you need any help by the end of September, please let know.
Kind regards

Sergio
Serbeben 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:45   #13

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markenurh View Post
I have not done much sailing since I returned from the South Pacific 20 years ago. Markenurh has been mostly my home while I have been writing five books and my summer home while I have been teaching overseas. I am now retired and in the process of getting Markenurh out on the water again. I am single and would like to have three onboard for insurance purposes. I have a few friends who sail with me but I need to supplement that. I have been planning on heading south next summer, but as they may be re-opening the border soon I might just make a run for it this year.

First stop would be the Bay area. Markenurh spent time in Alameda in 1995, but this time I might try Sausalito or Richmond. After doing some refit work there, I plan to cruise the Channel Islands before stopping in San Diego for a while. I hope to avoid the Baha Ha Ha crowd and to instead take one of the slips they have vacated. I would like to retrace my steps down the Baha to see how it has changed, stopping in Bahia Santa Maria and Bahia Tortuga before anchoring off Cabo San Lucas. We never got around the corner to La Paz last time due to stiff N winds, so I would like to do that this time. From there I would make for Puerto Vallarta and make that a base for cruising the Mexican Riviera as far south as Las Hadas. Onset of hurricane season in April would see us head up into the Sea of Cortez and perhaps even leave Markenurh there for the summer while returning to cooler climes in Canada.

The fall would see us venture south through Mexico again and onward to Costa Rica, stopping in some of the safer countries along the way. I must admit I had not heard of the Coho Ho Ho before, but after googling it I could see tagging along with them. Last time I asked crew contribute $10 a day to expenses, but 25 years later I might have to raise that to $15.
Sounds like a great trip and as I plan to sail from here in California down to CR and beyond eventually, I would be very interested in the experience of this leg. My previous experience was crossing the Indian Ocean and up the Red Sea in 2007, and I currently live on my Catalina 270LE in Santa Barbara. Right now I am dedicated to school but who know what will happen by the time you are down this way.

It would also be great to hear share a tale or two while you are in the area of the Channel Islands!
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 21:13   #14

Hello! Have you set sail? I am a land-locked Albertan, hoping to get back on the ocean soon. Thanks!
RubyShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 09:54   #15

I am stuck in Nanaimo awaiting repairs. Nothing serious. Tell me more about your sailing experience. Email me on Markenurh(at)gmail.com.

Tags
Costa Rica, crew, vancouver