Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 23:10   #1

Searching for a captain and a teacher

I am a 44 year old man that has always wanted to sail around the world for a year or two. I am selling my home in Jacksonville FL and planning to buy a sailboat. Theres a catch. I don't have any substantial sailing experience.

I have about 75K to buy a boat and equipment / food etc.

I am searching for a seasoned sailor to assist in finding a boat, and sailing for the foreseeable future while teaching me all the while. I am athletic, masters degree and former government guy. I'm quiet, do yoga and like to read. I lived in Africa for a long time and have simple needs.

I am 6'3 so I will want a larger boat.

I know this may seem like a strange post, but I have the cash and I am seeking a year or two of great adventure and great education.

I imagine some salty old sailor or a young smart wiz kid. Either way, I just want to learn to sail and appreciate the water.

I hate email and messages, so if you are interested, just call me.
Ben 904-206-7387
FloridaBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Searching for a captain and a teacher

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ben.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 15:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Ben I left a phone message for you at about 1800 EST. Thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 15:30   #4

Please do give us an update at some point.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 19:26   #5

Boat: Hunter Legend Passage 42

Florida Ben

Would be interested to discuss this opportunity with you.
Owned a Hunter Passage 44 for 22 years - have completed 9 blue water crossing of the South China Sea
Am an ASA trainer for 7 years
etc.
drop me a line my whats app number is currently 852 for Hong Kong
and 9039 0979
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 22:05   #6

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

We sound strangely similar:
athletic -no team sports/ just sailing my whole life
masters degree -Only a B.Sc., Was too lazy to go on <sigh>
government guy -14 years as a Fed biologist
yoga -did yoga in the main cabin of my sailboat
read -yes, and I can write too: 5 articles in sailing
magazines
Africa -well, just 3 months as a consultant in China;
that's not really that long
Simple needs -a jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and fair winds
44, want to go sailing -You're 44. What took you so long? I took a sabbatical—for 7 years—when I turned 40.

Jacksonville, FL -Would you believe Daytona Beach?
No substantial sailing experience -During my “7 year sabbatical”
did approx 22,000 miles,

-now 74 years old, so guess I'm an OLD Salt.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 23:55   #7

Boat: Hunter Legend Passage 42

Ahoy there
Found another message from you and am still interested in a project.

IF you wish you can contact me directly and we can set up for a chat

On skype I am malcolmbrocklebank

why not do that

Malcolm
Malcolm B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 18:28   #8

Ben, maybe we can help each other. i also live in Jacksonville and am going to be looking for a boat to spend 3 or so months down in the Bahamas, etc.. each year and continue moving further away. I am still working from home and can do so in most places. Also looking to gain experience.
CRAVEN WIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 12:48   #9

Ironically I wrote this post below earlier to post on a different thread, but it seems to make sense here. I'm in Old Town (west of Gainesville - only 2 hours from Jax). Maybe there's a way we could team up, at least for lessons?

I’m a single guy in Florida who will turn 59 in September. I’m healthy and strong. I have a business that I can run from anywhere with internet access, but it’s on ice for at least a year due to the pandemic. In the meantime, I need internet access maybe once or twice a week and could go a week or more at a time with no access and my people would be fine. Other than that I really have no strings. It seems like my whole life has been work, I’m financially secure but bored as hell, and I feel like maybe God is telling me to take off and live a little. When I was younger I didn’t have the time or the money, and in a few years I may not have the health and strength. I’ve been seriously thinking about buying a newer 37-45 foot catamaran.

From the answers posted in this thread, clearly the opinion is that I am not to old to sail. However, most answers are from people that are part of a couple. A few mention singlehanding, but several say it’s a bad idea. I want to do this, but I want to be safe. A few circumstances that probably affect things:

1. I have never sailed. I have good experience with a large power cruiser (Sundancer 41). I would stay in Florida and take classes and hire a captain to teach me to gain competency before any real passages.
2. I can afford most any technology that will make things easier and safer for me (great electronics, furling sails, electric winches and windlass, radar, satellite weather, etc.).
3. I have no interest in circumnavigating the globe. I want to cruise Florida, the Caribbean and the Caribbean coast of Mexico and Central America, maybe Colombia. Best I can discern from Google Maps my longest passage would likely be around 400 nm (e.g., Roatan to Cayman Islands, Isla Mujeres to Havana, etc.), but that’s still a long passage at 5-7 knots.
4. I have no need to hurry. I can wait as long as necessary for the right weather windows. I can plan my routes to minimize passage length and maximize daylight passagemaking. I also plan to space out my passages widely. 90% of my time will be in marinas or at anchor. For me it’s about the destination, not the journey (I know that’s apposite from how a “true sailor” feels.

Why not just get a trawler or a powercat? First, sailing in nice conditions seems like it would be way more pleasurable than motoring. Much quieter and more peaceful. Plus, it seems that to get the necessary range for those longer passages I wouldn’t be going that much faster than a sailboat. Second, although I’m secure financially, I got there in part by being frugal. If every time I move it costs me a grand it will take some of the pleasure out of it. If I can comfortably and safely get there under sail and it was free, that’s pretty sweet.

BTW I would LOVE to get some exposure to sailing before making any big moves. If anyone needs an extra hand on a trip and I can reasonably get to the departure point and then back home in a month or less, I’m game. Is anyone going anywhere these days?
flagatorclearwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 08:13   #10

Hi,

I advise you to look at www.boatcareer.com, there's plenty of young crew looking to gain experience and build miles, as well as older captains looking to sail by pleasure.
Marc Costa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, captain