Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2022, 12:44   #1

Prof Captain looking to sail for fun - repositioning, cruising, instruction

Hi Everyone. I'm a professional mariner with an unlimited USCG license. I'm also an ASA-certified sailing instructor. I have extensive worldwide sailing experience on sailing and racing yachts, cats and tall ships up to 400' LOA. I'm currently a cruise ship captain, working a three-month on and off rotation.

During my breaks I occasionally do deliveries or cruises as captain or crew. I've also done instructional deliveries/cruises for newer boat owners or charterers.

I do this mostly for fun, so any fees would depend on the gig. I charge for a flat-out uphill delivery. For more enjoyable gigs, I normally only ask for expenses. If it sounds like a lot of fun, I'll pick up my own travel costs.

I'm available on short notice until early-September. I'm based in Ft. Lauderdale and looking to escape the heat for a bit this summer.

Fair winds and safe sailing,

Todd
Obermars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 14:29   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Prof Captain looking to sail for fun - repositioning, cruising, instruction

Good onya, Mate! Hope you can find some good rides this year, for I like your attitude.

Jim
Old 20-07-2022, 11:59   #3

Boat: Nautitech 46' Fly

Hi Obermars,
Your post on the forum is exactly what we are looking for.
We are in the process of selecting and purchasing a sailing catamaran. If everything goes to plan it could be a Lagoon 620 in Europe.
Our plan is to purchase the yacht, train and learn in the Mediterranean and then sail it across to the Caribbean in November.
We (my wife and I) would need training and instruction and experience so eventually we can be on our own. Since you are an ASA instructor that would be a bonus.
We have a special situation that I would be happy to tell you about in private message or email. If you're looking for something fun and different then this would certainly fill the bill.
I know you said you are available up until early September but I was hoping that maybe we could work something out, even if we have to delay our plans or speed things up.
Please let me know if this has any interest to you or if you aren't available but know of another Captain with similar qualifications.
Thanks so much in advance.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Mark
SailingAbility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 20:37   #4

Sounds great, but I just accepted another opportunity. I'll ask a couple of friends if they might be interested. Fair winds and safe sailing, Todd
Obermars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2022, 13:31   #5

Boat: Nautitech 46' Fly

Thanks Todd for your help. If your other opportunity falls through please keep me in mind and contact me.
All the best.
Mark
SailingAbility is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, cruising, fun, sail