Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 12:39   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: passage Ct.east coast to florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
He stated via ICW. Hardly open ocean.
True he did say ICW but then the last time I looked the ICW stopped a few hundred miles south of CT.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 12:45   #17

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
True he did say ICW but then the last time I looked the ICW stopped a few hundred miles south of CT.
Yes, and No. One can stay in Long Island Sound, and come down through the East River to the lower New York Bay. From there, it is just around 105 miles to Cape May. Even then, there is a stretch from Barnnegat Bay to Atlantic City where you can go on the inside. From Cape May, one can take the three mile canal to the Delaware Bay. The Delaware Bay is essentially open ocean if the winds are from the south east, however it is only a few hours of sailing/motoring until you are in protected waters. From there it is a half day sail to the Chesapeake Delaware Canal and the Chesapeake Bay.

The time exposed is rather limited and given the typical weather windows, it is not a big deal to make the trip in comfortable conditions. I have done the trip a number of times and only once did I get hit in a storm, but even then I knew it was coming and was prepared for it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 12:48   #18

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolakennedys View Post
One can be Un Vaccinated and have already had COVID. That's my preference as well.

I am not anti vaccination. I just don't play science project with my body or my children's. Your mileage may vary. As for the original poster - his body, his choice. he he he...

We all have choices. Pfizer vax is now fully approved. If you think that is a science experiment then you probably don't believe in medical help at all.

Here's the problem this creates and has created. You are 29 times more likely to be hospitalized if you get COVID and have not been vaccinated. 98% of the COVID deaths since we started vaccinating are those who were unvaccinated. So those who are unvaccinated are cloggin up our hosptials thus preventing those who really need and want medical care from getting it. The choice is yours and I think that choice should come with some consequences. If you get COVID stay home, take some Tylenol, and chill.
Old 24-08-2021, 12:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
We all have choices. Pfizer vax is now fully approved. If you think that is a science experiment then you probably don't believe in medical help at all.

Here's the problem this creates and has created. You are 29 times more likely to be hospitalized if you get COVID and have not been vaccinated. 98% of the COVID deaths since we started vaccinating are those who were unvaccinated. So those who are unvaccinated are cloggin up our hosptials thus preventing those who really need and want medical care from getting it. The choice is yours and I think that choice should come with some consequences. If you get COVID stay home, take some Tylenol, and chill.
Your post is way, way off topic and does not belong in this thread. There are plenty of arguments for and against the shots. Some scientists are saying that those who get the shot are responsible for prolonging the virus and have increased viral loads. Others disagree. The point is this discussion does not belong in this thread.
Old 24-08-2021, 13:10   #20

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigdaddy View Post
I understand why you react that way, but as one in the age range of the op, I find myself adopting his stance more and more.
agreed.... he's the boss.
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:19   #21

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Your post is way, way off topic and does not belong in this thread. There are plenty of arguments for and against the shots. Some scientists are saying that those who get the shot are responsible for prolonging the virus and have increased viral loads. Others disagree. The point is this discussion does not belong in this thread.

I completely disagree. It belongs in every conversation I have with another human on this planet. This virus is hangin around because not enough people got vaccinated quickly enough.

Let's agree to disagree... anyone reading this who is not vaccinated (and who doesn't have a very valid medical reason not to be) is going to continue to create problems not solutions.
Old 24-08-2021, 13:26   #22

Quote:
I completely disagree. It belongs in every conversation I have with another human on this planet. This virus is hangin around because not enough people got vaccinated quickly enough.

Let's agree to disagree... anyone reading this who is not vaccinated (and who doesn't have a very valid medical reason not to be) is going to continue to create problems not solutions.
Or, those getting the shot and being intolerant of other opinions are creating the problem. Again, it is way, way off topic. It does NOT belong in every topic. IF you actually agree to disagree, then leave it at that and stop bringing it up or throwing in your two cents worth. If you keep bringing it up, you will just create problems and continue to drag the discussion further off topic.
Old 24-08-2021, 14:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic2007 View Post
I asked the question simply because it seemed odd that a skipper would actually want to have crew that are more susceptible to an infectious disease.
You're not alone. It seems like a weird requirement. Why would an unvaccinated person care if the other person was vaccinated? normally it would be the other way around.

I could care less whether someone is pro or anti-vax or why. We all have a believe system that we cling too and we're not going to convert each other.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 14:38   #24

Boat: Catalina 36

Way back when I was on my way to Vietnam they vaccinated me for anthrax . They did not ask, but don't you all think this is getting WAY-OFF topic ?
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 15:39   #25

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic2007 View Post
Why someone unvaccinated?
They're magnetic and will throw off the compass
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 16:56   #26

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

All those that have nothing positive to say should not be responding, ironically close minded thinking should be kept to your self. You shaming/ bullying a guy who put a post up. I would be all over that trip if I did not have prior commitments, and I am sure many others as well but the political toxic behavior may be shaming others from responding. The sad angry toxic people should be out sailing. Stop the hate.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 18:11   #27

Boat: 55 fleming

Long trip small boat 50 miles/day avg when you are under way. lots to see, lots of American history. Take warm clothes and sleeping bags. It can be cold if early winter.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 19:40   #28

Quote:

Fortunately everyone is entitled to their opinion, I would only say stay tuned for about 6 to 9 months and we will see whose right are wrong. I have an opinion but I don’t wish to voice it in a demeaning way to someone else’s opinion..
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 20:30   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Yes, and No. One can stay in Long Island Sound, and come down through the East River to the lower New York Bay. From there, it is just around 105 miles to Cape May. Even then, there is a stretch from Barnnegat Bay to Atlantic City where you can go on the inside. From Cape May, one can take the three mile canal to the Delaware Bay. The Delaware Bay is essentially open ocean if the winds are from the south east, however it is only a few hours of sailing/motoring until you are in protected waters. From there it is a half day sail to the Chesapeake Delaware Canal and the Chesapeake Bay.

The time exposed is rather limited and given the typical weather windows, it is not a big deal to make the trip in comfortable conditions. I have done the trip a number of times and only once did I get hit in a storm, but even then I knew it was coming and was prepared for it.
All quite correct but LI Sound is in no way officially part of the ICW. The NJ section is labeled NJICW on the NOA charts but practically speaking it's of little use since there's a 30' or 35' (forget which) fixed bridge and last I heard shoals in spots 3-4'.

Made the trip a few times as well and agree it's pretty simple to wait for a weather window and make the outside sections of the trip safely and comfortably but I still have to agree with those that say the Atlantic ICW starts at Norfolk and goes south.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 20:32   #30

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahue62 View Post
Fortunately everyone is entitled to their opinion, I would only say stay tuned for about 6 to 9 months and we will see whose right are wrong. I have an opinion but I don’t wish to voice it in a demeaning way to someone else’s opinion..
It's already clear that those states with low vaccination rates have high covid infection rates, and several have no open beds in the ER. This is epidemiological evidence, and there's not much to debate if you follow the numbers and the science rather than conspiracy theories or impassioned emotional arguments. OTOH, there are billion$ of good reasons not to trust "big pharma".

Will we learn more about side effects? Probably. So far they have been minimal, statistically. What are the health risks and odds of severe illness from being unvaxed? Clearly much greater at this time.

When Polio vaccines came out in the 50's they were experimental - they were widely distributed in a hurry and the disease was wiped out.

The OP has every right to his opinions, and to decide who goes aboard his boat.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida, passage