Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 14:09   #16

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Nicaragua - Panama Canal - Key West - Sarasota

I am assuming the boat is in San Juan del Sur? If so, depending on her draft, you might consider lifting her to the Nicaragua lake and have a local panga guy help you navigate de San Juan river to San Juan del Norte. There is one bad spot in the whole river where you need local knowledge and may have to incline the boat to reduce draft (via drum barrel filled with water tied to the haul at of mast - kind of like crossing a short bridge clearance)
After that you are in the Atlantic.
There was a Canadian guy years ago who did this with a home build catamaran memes Ms Cindy. Sailed her from Mexico to Tampa? I can’t remember but he was able to negotiate the rapids with a lot of help from the local people
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 14:46   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There is a newish (2014?) bridge over the Rio San Juan. Ive been under it in a small power boat while fishing on the San Juan (amazing Tarpon fishing there). Dont know the vertical clearance, but way too low for a Catalina 38 to my recollection...and judging from the videos too.

https://youtu.be/J4YXmQmH9iU

Assuming the water draft would clear the rapids, he could lower the mast, strap an outboard it (engine doesnt run) and be off....like a re-enactment of the African Queen! [emoji16]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:36   #18

Boat: Between boats right now
Send a message via AIM to wilson eavis

Was chatting online with Jerami and suggested a haul out and transport across Nicaragua, then re-launch and be done with the potentials of a war torn country.
Any thoughts?
I'd join him in a heartbeat as soon as he commits to the journey.
wilson eavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 21:04   #19

Boat: 80 Hunter 33' & 79 Catalina 27'

Anyone want to forego their next trip to Vegas and instead, drop $20k on a high-risk sailing venture?

It isn't looking good. After hearing back from my bank, current owner, local fees, adding up costs, potential we could wait months for weather, I won't have a cash buffer in case anything goes wrong, or we have to wait out

I can almost guarantee you won't get your money back, but there's a chance we will break even - the upside is that we'd have a trip they write books about.

I'm a pro at breaking even.

I may still fly down on miles to look at the boat and perhaps take inventory on what needs to be done, and if by chance a miracle happens out of the sky...
Jerami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:34   #20

Damn, and this was just getting interesting...trucking a boat thru Nicaragua as its on the verge of another revolution...could be an epic adventure! [emoji16]

However...I dont think you would break even, but the stories might be worth the loss. [emoji849]
Old 28-12-2018, 03:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson eavis View Post
Was chatting online with Jerami and suggested a haul out and transport across Nicaragua, then re-launch and be done with the potentials of a war torn country.
Any thoughts?
I'd join him in a heartbeat as soon as he commits to the journey.
The substantial logistics challenges aside...the Carib coast of Nica is a pretty dicey area.
Old 07-01-2019, 19:41   #22

I'm from Panama, know Spanish, and the S.W. Caribbean waters. I'd consider crewing for you. I crewed a 100 ft. Charter fissing vessel through the canal up to Miami river a few years ago. I can show you all around Panama. There isnt a big selection of sailboats to buy there. I dont recommend sailing any voyage of any distance alone, no matter how much navigation equipment you have onboard. You need someone doing the night watch. I've sailed long distance alone, and wont do it again. Too much can go wrong, that you need the strength of two or more.

San Blas is one of the dreamiest destinations you'll ever go to. I know the customs there among the Guna yala tribe.

Keep me informed as your plans progress. I'd be really like to do the trip.

Cheers,
PanamaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:37   #23

Hello. I am in Florida, came down from M.D. on my Catalina 30. Do you still need crew for your Nicaragua to Florida trip? I've heard the Bahamas aren't good sailing in February so I'll need something to do..
KyleHelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, key west, Nicaragua, Panama, Panama Canal, sarasota