Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 14:35   #1

Boat: Last owned Cat Morgan 51
Mac 65 moving from Solomons to Florida

Wanted crew to help me move our sailboat from the Solomons, to Florida, towards the end of the month. Crew need to have experience with sailboats.
Owner will also be onboard. Can be two to three people, Expenses paid while onboard. No drugs allowed onboard, no alcohol while sailing, But we can break lose once ashore.Will also consider a small wage if needed but will be a good experience.
Peter Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:07   #2

Boat: Soon (TM)
Re: Mac 65 moving from Solomons to Florida

Hi Peter,
We are CJ&JD. We are both retired, experienced and vax'ed and ready to crew on deliveries or with anyone needing watch or passage or just cruising crew.

"JD" grew up on Balls Neck in Northumberland county Virginia on the Chesapeake Bay. I have been sailing and boating all my life. My father taught me how to work on all types of gas and diesel engines, outboards and inboards. Rig, mast, stays, shrouds and standing and running rigging, I know basic brightwork, both fiberglass and stainless fabrication and repair and I am “competent” with all kinds of marine repair and maintenance work.

“CJ” is from deep in the burbs of Chicago and had never met a sailboat until she met JD. And she has taken to sailing with gusto and is loving this new chapter in her life.

Together we have spent the last 4 years as race crew during the southern Chesapeake Bay regatta season in PHRF events including CCVR, OPCYC, HYC, FBYC and BBSA races.

- I owned and solo & crew sailed a 1981 Catalina 22, hull # 10493. Home port of Gascony Cove, Ingram's Bay on the Chesapeake from 2010 till she was stolen in 2020.

- 2017, JD crewed with 2 skippers, sailed in the Tri-Services Regatta, 'Round The Lights Race, 38th Annual Gaboon Race, and a few series races.

- 2018, We crewed with 7 skippers, sailed in ~40 races & deliveries including the Round The Lights, Tri-Service Cup, Southern Bay Race Week, Tom Brady Master's Race, Hampton Sprints, Southern Chesapeake Bay Leukemia Cup (and x2 deliveries), Cape Charles Cup, Moonlight Triangle Race, Founders Race, Plantation Lights Race, Hampton Annual Middle Grounds Light Race, BBSA Neptune Atlantic Cup (and return delivery), 38th Annual Gaboon Race, Willoughby Memorial Race, CCV Spring and Fall Series Races, Yankee Station Series Races and the HYC Frostbite Series Races.

- 2019, We crewed with 3 skippers, sailed in ~45 races & deliveries, including Southern Bay Race Week, Down the Bay Race (and delivery), The Annapolis to Newport Race (and delivery), Tom Brady Master's Race, Hampton Sprints, Southern Chesapeake Bay Leukemia Cup (2 deliveries), Cape Charles Cup, Moonlight Triangle Race, Founders Race, Pointers Rally, Plantation Lights Race, BBSA Neptune Atlantic Cup (return delivery), 39th Annual Gaboon Race, Willoughby Memorial Race, Dana Dillion Memorial Race, CCV Spring and Fall Series Races, Yankee Station Series Races, HYC Frostbite Series Races. NOTE: The Annapolis to Newport is an Offshore Race. We were forced to retire from the 2019 A2N due to a crew illness.

- 2020, Much of the 2020 season was lost to Covid, including the 2020 Annapolis-Bermuda Ocean Race. We crewed on s/v Luna Blu only, and sailed in the Summer Solstice Not Ocean Race, CCVR Moonlight Triangle Race, Plantation Light Race, Not Cape Charles Cup, Founders Race, Stingray Point Regatta (and 2 deliveries), Tri-Service Regatta, Middle Ground Light Race, CCVR Fall Series Races and the Yankee Station Series Races.

- 2021, We have been traveling a lot post dual retirements and have missed several races. We have crewed for 2 skippers, sailed in the Southern Bay Race Week, Down the Bay Race (and delivery), Yankee Station Series, Founders Race, Cape Charles Cup and the Tri-Service Cup... so far.

I primarily crew as Mainsheet Trimmer also Helm, Cockpit & Foredeck. CJ primarily crews as Mizzen Trimmer, Cockpit & Deck Hand aboard S/V Luna Blu, a 1966 Bristol 39 yawl, owner/skipper, Wm. "Keith" Midgette, out of Old Point Comfort Yacht Club (and Marina) located at Ft. Monroe, Hampton, VA.

USA JD has had some limited offshore experience back in his 20's and during the A2N in 2019. We both very strongly wish to build sea time, cruising, delivery and offshore passage experience.

We would be interested in discussing your planned trip from the Solomons (we assume in MD?) to Florida.

CJ&JD Blackwell =/|)=
Cell: 804.400.5433
Email: jayblack69@yahoo.com
YouTube: “JD Blackwell Sailing”
JD: US Sailing Member ID: 788281R
Completed SAS Offshore Course: exp. 2/26/2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simon View Post
Wanted crew to help me move our sailboat from the Solomons, to Florida, towards the end of the month. Crew need to have experience with sailboats.
Owner will also be onboard. Can be two to three people, Expenses paid while onboard. No drugs allowed onboard, no alcohol while sailing, But we can break lose once ashore.Will also consider a small wage if needed but will be a good experience.
JDBlackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 18:07   #3

Ummm... Opps. I meant that as a DM, not a Post to the OP... =]
Old 15-09-2021, 18:11   #4

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

i am guessing Solomons, MD, USA ? not Solomons islands South Pacific .
Nice Boat , by the way .

Cheers

Jimmy
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 04:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 40ft Alloy Centre Board
Send a message via Skype™ to nixontankgirl

Funny, as I read it the other way. My first thought was how are crew going to get into the Solomons.

A man far wiser than myself said the biggest problem with communication is the illusion it has taken place.

This post about sums up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYJimmy View Post
i am guessing Solomons, MD, USA ? not Solomons islands South Pacific .
Nice Boat , by the way .

Cheers

Jimmy
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 10:30   #6

I knew without asking that he meant Solomons MD because,

1. Spelling, "Solomons" MD is not the same as "Solomon" Islands... the one in MD has an "s".

2. It is simply not rational or logical to ask for crew for a "Solomon Islands to Florida" delivery as those 2 locations are 13,500 MILES apart as the unladen swallow files...
Seriously, there would be a few stops first.
IE It would have been, "Solomon Islands to (well, pretty much ANYWHERE else in the world...)" other than Solomon MD.

3. So no... nothing in that post lead me to assume it was "South Pacific to Maryland US"... and please remember how "assume" is spelled.
(spelling it turns out, is important).

4. Really, that's what you thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
Funny, as I read it the other way. My first thought was how are crew going to get into the Solomons.
A man far wiser than myself said the biggest problem with communication is the illusion it has taken place.

This post about sums up.
Old 16-09-2021, 14:41   #7

When you sail Oceans one place to another seam possible .
Having sailed just south off the Solomons , many times .
i goggled Solomons on google and saw the American Solomons .

I had no idea it existed .
So well done Blackwell , you Smart Chap .
Old 16-09-2021, 15:39   #8

I'm just a poor Virginia country boy who knew about "Solomons", the town, in the US and also about the "Solomons", the Island group in the Pacific.

And yes, I can see the confusion as the plural has, of course, that little "s" on the end. My bad, spelling spanking taken with dignity.

But that said...
Did it not seem a wee bit weird to post asking for crew for a "13,500 mile passage" without even mentioning the 13,500 miles?

Would be odd not to mention that, don't you think? Hence my assumption he meant here in the US.

Anyway, my apologies again, no offense intended...
Well done, old chap. =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYJimmy View Post
When you sail Oceans one place to another seam possible .
Having sailed just south off the Solomons , many times .
i goggled Solomons on google and saw the American Solomons .

I had no idea it existed .
So well done Blackwell , you Smart Chap .
Old 16-09-2021, 16:54   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, I've sailed to the Solomon islands, but until just now I've never even heard of "Solomons" in the USA. Guess which one came to my mind when I saw the thread title! But once I read the post I kinda guessed it wasn't the Pacific Solomons that were the subject.

Lack of specificity is a common feature of posts on CF, and one is seldom wrong in suspecting geocentric points of view when such issues come up.

Jim
Old 16-09-2021, 17:39   #10

Jim,
Yea... I have to admit being geobiased there as I have known of the Solomons in MD near all my life as I was raised on the Chesapeake Bay only 50nm from there.

I was speaking with "local" knowledge, in what is in essence a "global" chat room. Myexpectation that anyone else would "of course" know the difference was my mistake.

And yes, accuracy is important. I spoke recently with someone who is looking for a paid delivery crew to move his boat from A to B, without him on board, and I got it wrong. I thought he was 'just' looking for crew to assist him with the move. Again, how it was worded was what tripped me up, and again, my bad. =]

I need to expand my mind, think globally, not locally. Hence the desire for my lady & I to take on more and longer passages.

V/R
CJ&JD =/|)=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, I've sailed to the Solomon islands, but until just now I've never even heard of "Solomons" in the USA. Guess which one came to my mind when I saw the thread title! But once I read the post I kinda guessed it wasn't the Pacific Solomons that were the subject.

Lack of specificity is a common feature of posts on CF, and one is seldom wrong in suspecting geocentric points of view when such issues come up.

Jim
Old 16-09-2021, 18:16   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I need to expand my mind, think globally, not locally. Hence the desire for my lady & I to take on more and longer passages.
What good ideas, JD! I hope you can achieve them. Long term cruising has certainly changed my outlook on many things... hopefully to the good.

Jim
Old 16-09-2021, 18:49   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBlackwell View Post
I knew without asking that he meant Solomons MD because,

1. Spelling, "Solomons" MD is not the same as "Solomon" Islands... the one in MD has an "s".

2. It is simply not rational or logical to ask for crew for a "Solomon Islands to Florida" delivery as those 2 locations are 13,500 MILES apart as the unladen swallow files...
Seriously, there would be a few stops first.
IE It would have been, "Solomon Islands to (well, pretty much ANYWHERE else in the world...)" other than Solomon MD.

3. So no... nothing in that post lead me to assume it was "South Pacific to Maryland US"... and please remember how "assume" is spelled.
(spelling it turns out, is important).

4. Really, that's what you thought?

Actually I thought the same as nixontankgirl. The OP said the Solomons which implies more than one i.e. a group of islands. I dont describe Auckland the city as the Auckland. Mind you in the USA when people asked where I was from they always thought I was saying Oakland, accents huh? But I'd never heard of a place called the Solomons USA either.
I see nothing untoward about asking for crew from the Solomon islands to Florida without mentioning the stops but thats just me.

Trust me I dont care much if at all to engage with this thread, not looking for an argument, just saying perceptions & wording can mean different outcomes
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 19:16   #13

"...just saying perceptions & wording can mean different outcomes."

Agree completely.
Old 16-09-2021, 19:41   #14

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

What I don't get paid to crew from the Solomon islands to florida. Damn it... Although the dry spells between ports kind of put me off. How long is it from the Solomon islands till you can get a drink in a port?
Old 16-09-2021, 21:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
What I don't get paid to crew from the Solomon islands to florida. Damn it... Although the dry spells between ports kind of put me off. How long is it from the Solomon islands till you can get a drink in a port?

It depends which way you go , me i would head south to New Zealand , get a drink there , than head east in the roaring forty's than down around the cape horn on to the Falklands call in for another drink , than north up to Brazil . plenty of ports of call along that coastline . Than up through the Caribbean , than up to Florida . about 14,200 Nautical Miles

Cheer's

HVY Jimmy

Tags
florida