Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 00:43   #1

Thumbs up Looking to meet new people and be part of a crew

Hi I am new on here . I live in Houston , I am looking to learn about sailing and get to travel , maybe make a little money.. while learning?!...I am off to make arrangements hopefully this next week to finance a 36ft pilothouse so while I wont be sailing just right off if i purchase LOL wouldnt know how anyway !! , was thinking of getting first hand experience . My life is rapidly changing so , kid is grown , Divorced and looking for new life ! I will be available at end of May or end of June . I am very down to earth lady with sense of humor and honest and very likable . Genuine .. to the core . I say what is on my mind , I love to sing, write and love art ! I feel like the Jill of all trades but master of none!! I am seeking like minded individuals who believe .. in the circle of life and being kind to one another . Life is short and I want to live it to the fullest .I have prayed to the universe to send me someone good and caring to start this next chapter in my life to help me learn the boats and water.. way of living .. I am somewhat scared because I been in my little area for all of my life ..I have same friends since i was in elementary school .. So it would be a huge change for me . But If I dont take the chance I will probably never forgive myself . I just need an opportunity , a little push to start a new and I will be ok . I feel alone in this world and looking just for some great positive , patient people to be around .. People that believe in old school values ! .. love helping others and love to see the beauty in the world. I love long meaningful conversations .. about life . I am not into religion or politics . I believe in God but take a down to earth approach about it . You be a good person and good will come your way full circle . I would love to just talk to someone who values a diamond in the ruff sorta person as myself .. I just want to start a new book in my life and would love to speak to someone very sincere and very humble .. I am looking for new friends ! And a wonderful teacher !
Rise9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 03:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Looking to meet new people and be part of a crew

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rise.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 05:30   #3
cruiser

hi Im Philp, 60, honest, intelligent, good manners, musician jack of all trades, 36' morgan o.i. rigged for cruising, you help on boat i help you learn. fun above board symbiotic experience. in tampa bay currently. philharmonic10@yahoo.com
wander 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 05:44   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hello Rise9-
Kinda sorta in the same situation as you...Rather than go right to bigger boat /full-on lifestyle change cruising, I went back to dinghy sailing and bought a 21' foot trailer sailor to fix up, learn more sailing skills, and use on weekends and vacations. For meeting sailing people (besides on the interweb) I got involved with some of the local sailing messabouts and am off next week to see if one of the local sailing clubs is a good fit. The 21' has taken way longer to fix than planned (coming up on a year) but I still get to sail the dinghy and if all works out maybe crew with the club for even more learning/experience.
All the best!
Old 20-04-2019, 11:26   #5

Boat: Ocean 60 sport fisher

Hi my name is Meg. My husband and I are on a 60ft sport fishing yacht cruising from Los Angeles to Panama. Currently in Ensenada. We have friends doing “legs” on our journey. From your post it sounds like we have very similar interests and beliefs, as we are on a new chapter in life as well����
If you’re interested in more information please email (megetsten@gmail.com)
Dayton40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:43   #6

Welcome to a beautiful experience in life. But remember Mother Nature can not be taken for granted. She can delight you w/ fair winds & following seas, & in seconds turn on you & get your heart beating out of your chest.
But believe me, go for it & you will be in a place that will better your being, in mind & body.
Good luck, watch out for the evil dark skippers out there.I hope your first experience will be the open door to your new life.
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 13:24   #7

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I would advise you to hold off on buying any boat till you experience sailing and develop some strong skipper relationships. You'll need their advice when it's time to purchase. There are lots of bad deals out there.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 18:14   #8

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I have to second Kalinowski's comment. Don't buy anything until you've had time to get some experience sailing and understanding different boats and what they have to offer. There are many of us in the sailing community that would be willing to pay it forward by giving you the sailing exposure that will help you as you enter into the next phase of your life.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 19:54   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Bahia, 46'

I bought my retirement home. A 46' cat. I can solo her, but it's a lot easier with crew. I'm in Annapolis. Getting in and out of dock is the most difficult.
rramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 04:43   #10

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

RIse 9 , Learn first, spend second ! Its all in books Nigal Colder etc.
As a Sailing instructor start with small boats get the feel of being one with the wind. Than move to sail larger 22-27 ! From there if your still happy go as large as you dare, Than go four feet larger. you will thank yourself later !
Clearwater fla
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 04:51   #11

Is the "make a little money" critical to the plan?

If it is, think long and hard...and learn a lot more before buying a boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 09:35   #12

Boat: Moody, Custom 58 Cutter

Rise 9,
I agree with Kalinowski's comment about gaining some experience first.
We are departing Antigua early June via Bermuda, Halifax and the St.Lawrence River to explore the Great Lakes. The trip will not be a high pressure delivery. The crew are all experienced offshore sailors aboard a well found vessel. If this sounds like your cup of tea, give us a call at 512 578 5806 to discuss.
Aeolus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 12:05   #13

Hi,
I am planning to move my Jeanneau 50 from Palm Beach Florida to Shelter Island NY at the end of June. I have done a lot of sailing in my life, and at the age of 83....don't stop reading!... am physically in my 50"s (at least I feel and live like that: 6.3ft and 184 lbs, and completely agile). I believe I have some sailing skills since I have sailed my boat single handed round trip twice from Florida to Martha's Vineyard in 2015-16, all on open ocean passage. Prior to that I have sailed a 30 foot Scampi 30 half tonner racing sloop from San Francisco Bay to Palm Beach Florida, back in 1983-84 after racing the boat in SF for 7 years out of the St Francis Yacht Club. Prior to that I sailed on the lake of Geneva, Switzerland, out of the Geneva Yacht Club, where I made a name for myself in winning and beating the all time speed record around Lake Geneva 'in 1977, a record that had remained unbeaten since before World War II, and remained unbeaten for many years after me.

I stopped sailing after my marriage in 1984, and had two daughters instead. My ladies were not interested in boating, and now after my recent divorce after 35 years, I am free to resume (Albeit a little late) a life of cruising and exploring the world again, an urge that has remained deeply embedded in my psyche throughout the years.

When I read up the fascinating accounts on cruising forums, etc, I really feel like a novice, and definitely not as experienced as some of these old salts, especially when it comes to mechanics and electricity!

If you want to give it a try out, before any commitment from either of us, you are welcome to come over for a day or weekend sail. You might enjoy a run across to the near Bahamas, or cruising locally. It's an open invitation. Tel: 631 707- 3646, or jjcgrey@gmail.com
jcgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:38   #14
cruiser

Hi, I just saw your reply, just got back on cf. Are you still availabl
wander 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:31   #15

Boat: X442

The thread is back alive! I guess we had a covid break. Thanks for asking that question. I too am curious to hear what happened to Rise's dreams because, well, many come along here with great plans but the true Rimas is few and far between...!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew