Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 16:46   #16

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

It's not a theory anymore.

They conducted a fool proof experiment involving 2 apertures set a few miles apart but equidistant above sea level and a light placed equally high above sea level and directed at the closest aperture, all components were directionally aligned. The theory was if the earth was flat the light would be visible through the second aperture from the light. For total transparency they allowed an independent film company to make a documentary of the whole process.

Unfortunately the test was found to be inconclusive because for some "as yet undetermined" reason it was necessary to raise the light to make it visible. Further experimentation is required.

However still the most convincing piece of 100% total proof is in this video of filming a level placed on the meal table on an aircraft to observe the bubble not pointing down hill all the time.

https://youtu.be/-PJ6iAy2n3M
Old 22-08-2022, 16:55   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It's not a theory anymore.

They conducted a fool proof experiment involving 2 apertures set a few miles apart but equidistant above sea level and a light placed equally high above sea level and directed at the closest aperture, all components were directionally aligned. The theory was if the earth was flat the light would be visible through the second aperture from the light. For total transparency they allowed an independent film company to make a documentary of the whole process.

Unfortunately the test was found to be inconclusive because for some "as yet undetermined" reason it was necessary to raise the light to make it visible. Further experimentation is required.

However still the most convincing piece of 100% total proof is in this video of filming a level placed on the meal table on an aircraft to observe the bubble not pointing down hill all the time.

https://youtu.be/-PJ6iAy2n3M
The one I loved in that documentary was the test with a $10,000 IMU. They were disgusted that the IMU was broken, it read 15 degrees after one hour.

Hmm, 360 degrees, 24 hours in a day, that's 15 degrees per hour.
This proves that you cannot win an argument with a conspiracy theorist.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:00   #18

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If the earth is flat... logically so is the mass..
Not quite sure why I' am Entertaining this concept, but here goes. A flat earth would exert pull to the center where forces are equal. If the object were rotating around the circumference there would be less gravity as the satellite is further away from the center. This is contrasted with a satellite rotating and orb, whereas the gravity would remain constant. So is satellite rotating around the circumference would either have too much speed and fly off or not enough and crash. Had this actual conversation with actual physicists, I used to annoy them with whatever wacky thing I read that someone believes. This was one of the explanations of why observations do not support that halted it reality.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:07   #19

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
The one I loved in that documentary was the test with a $10,000 IMU. They were disgusted that the IMU was broken, it read 15 degrees after one hour.

Hmm, 360 degrees, 24 hours in a day, that's 15 degrees per hour.
This proves that you cannot win an argument with a conspiracy theorist.
Haha, that's just a whole new conspiracy theory of who tampered with it. I tried to find a link to the documentary but I think it is pay per view, it was on Netflix but it's not on there now ....in Australia anyway.

It's called "Behind the Curve", If anyone is looking for it.
Old 22-08-2022, 17:24   #20

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

I will check it out.

Here I was thinking Eratosthenes had it pretty well pegged with a stick, its shadow, and some critical thinking. Oh and someone who isn't given enough credit, whoever managed to keep accurate count of the steps between those two cities...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8131376.html

I think it would be interesting to teach celestial navigation to some flat earth theorists to see how the math can be reconciled.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: looking for three flat earth theory followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Not quite sure why I' am Entertaining this concept, but here goes. A flat earth would exert pull to the center where forces are equal. If the object were rotating around the circumference there would be less gravity as the satellite is further away from the center. This is contrasted with a satellite rotating and orb, whereas the gravity would remain constant. So is satellite rotating around the circumference would either have too much speed and fly off or not enough and crash. Had this actual conversation with actual physicists, I used to annoy them with whatever wacky thing I read that someone believes. This was one of the explanations of why observations do not support that halted it reality.
The central 'mass' is equidistant from sea-level all over the earth so its logical that density would have an equal pull whatever the shape, round or flat.. with U shaped edges of a few thousand miles.
Why do folk always assume a flat earth is wafer thin with a sheer edge..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:54   #22

Boat: Catalina 320

You can drop me off at the bar at the end of the universe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4bf4f3e3465d012d8b69b34069435b7d.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	263263  
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 17:56   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The central 'mass' is equidistant from sea-level all over the earth so its logical that density would have an equal pull whatever the shape, round or flat.. with U shaped edges of a few thousand miles.
Why do folk always assume a flat earth is wafer thin with a sheer edge..
Because I have books showing sailing ships going over the edge. Look, we were told all sorts of stuff since childhood that was later revealed to be false. Probably the worst was about Canada being to the north of us, then come to discover that part of Canada is of a lower latitude. I mean seriously, when one discovers they live north of part of Canada it’s a real blow. No wonder it’s so effing cold.
Old 22-08-2022, 18:06   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

What happens to the ocean at the edge of a flat earth ??
Does it just roll off like a waterfall??? and if so, how is the ocean water replenished...rain ?? Where does the new salt come from to make the new rain/ocean salty ?
What happens to a sailor if you get to close to the edge ?? How close to the edge can you realistically get ??
What about fish ? How close can they get ?
How deep is the ocean at the edge ?? very deep ? shallow" what ? are there beaches ??
Is there land at the edge ? If so, what is it called and who lives there ?

Has anyone ever been to the "other side" of the flat earth ?? What does it look like ? Could you fly there ??

I can't be the only one with so many questions. I demand to know !!!! Give me answers !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 18:13   #25

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

i am with Hopcar. since posting earlier today i have done a little research and it appears that the moon is indeed an extra old (fort is the term in canada) cheese orb. i have also learned that a meteor impact did not cause the ice age that killed off the dinosaurs since everyone knows that paul bunyon with babe the blue ox killed them all with his ax.....ok, cue the jailed Q-anon shaman for expert confirmation......fair winds everyone; R
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 18:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobar View Post
I'm looking for three flat earth theory followers to sponsor a circumnavigation next spring or summer to prove the earth is globe. I have Oceanis 350, that will be my part of the deal. You can write me PM.

Virtually none of the "flat Earth" people actually believe that the Earth is flat; they're just trolling for laughs.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 18:39   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krobar View Post
I'm looking for three flat earth theory followers to sponsor a circumnavigation next spring or summer to prove the earth is globe. I have Oceanis 350, that will be my part of the deal. You can write me PM.
Hmm... so I'm assuming the three sponsors are providing the dollars and you are providing the boat. Dunno how much you are looking for but for the sake of the argument let's say you are looking for about $75K. That's 25K per sponsor.

So you need 3 idiots flat earthers to pony up $25K each. That is a big ask I think. Most guys with a spare $25K are likely to be smart enough not to hand over their money on a fools's errand. You would do far better to look for 15,000 idiots flat earthers sponsors willing to part with $5 each. That is doable, especially in your part of the world. They wouldn't be interested in being on board so that is another bonus for.

You could even cut a deal with the well know grifter fund raiser down Palm Beach way. Ask him to give you access to his database of sponsors in return for you giving him 99% of all funds you raise by using his database. Of course, you will have to expect to conned yourself as he will find a way to keep 99.9% but that still leaves you 0.1% of many millions. Looking from afar, it seems his sponsors are willing to part with small sums if it used for the greater good and what could be better than proving for once and for all that the earth really flat, very flat, so flat you wouldn't believe.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 19:09   #28

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

I can't be the only one with so many questions. I demand to know !!!! Give me answers !!!
It's turtles. All the way down.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 19:15   #29

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
Virtually none of the "flat Earth" people actually believe that the Earth is flat; they're just trolling for laughs.
Well that sucks. But I suppose for some there’s entertainment in engaging spherical earth people who can’t explain their position. I mean seriously, 99.9% of people would defend spherical earth and be unable to provide any evidence that is “so intelligent it can’t be debunked.”

Reminds me of when I convinced a young lady that they can’t run the Maid of the Mist boats on Niagara River because the whales swim the river and jump the falls to spawn. She suspected I was being untrue but could offer nothing to the contrary, so in the end became a believer.
Old 22-08-2022, 22:24   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
What happens to the ocean at the edge of a flat earth ??
Does it just roll off like a waterfall??? and if so, how is the ocean water replenished...rain ?? Where does the new salt come from to make the new rain/ocean salty ?
What happens to a sailor if you get to close to the edge ?? How close to the edge can you realistically get ??
What about fish ? How close can they get ?
How deep is the ocean at the edge ?? very deep ? shallow" what ? are there beaches ??
Is there land at the edge ? If so, what is it called and who lives there ?

Has anyone ever been to the "other side" of the flat earth ?? What does it look like ? Could you fly there ??

I refer you to Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. All is explained.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote