Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 11:04   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Looking for offshore experience Fl to VA or farther north.

I have owned and sailed many large sailboats but my experience is limited to Bays, Lakes, and one offshore trip from NC to FL that I found on this site.

I am currently wintering on my 1985 Beneteau Idylle 13.5 (43') in Charlotte Harbor FL. I want to begin traveling from here to NC and back seasonally each year with my sights set on Carribean cruising in the future.

I want to get more experience offshore before I start going on my own boat! I have completed ASA courses 101, 102, and 103 and have several hundred hours logged between the Chesapeake Bay, Lake Norman (NC), Terra Ciea Bay (FL), Pamlico Sound, and Charlotte harbor. I am handy, can think calmly in emergency situations, and know how to "pull my own load" after being in the military for 20 years!

I am especially looking for opportunities in late Feb or March of this year. I am flexible especially during that time frame.

If you think I would be able to help you out or be a good fit on your crew please send me a direct email (as I tend to miss emails from this site). My email is my first and last name at either hotmail OR MSN. garthbirdsey AT msn DOT com.

I am willing to join a paid crew (without pay) or sail with an experienced Captain or owner and can provide my own transportation.

I am NOT interested in assisting unprepared or inexperienced people! (If I was interested in THAT I would just cast off and go NOW! LOL)

I look forward to hearing from you!!

Thanks, in advance

Garth Birdsey
birdsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 15:14   #2

Boat: Caliber 35LRC
Re: Looking for offshore experience Fl to VA or farther north.

Hi Garth,

We are in a similar situation in terms of experience and blue water goals.

I have many years of experience cruising up and down the Chesapeake Bay and have much training including:
US Power Squadrons: Seamanship, Advanced Piloting and Weather
ASA: 103/104/105/201/203/204 and 107 in process
USCG 50-ton Masters license

... but I have very limited blue water experience. I have read lots (current favorite is Captain Fatty!) so I have plenty of book knowledge and have had many different "learning experiences" while cruising the bay on my Pearson 30 and current Caliber 35LRC.

My significant other and I are planning to take at least a 1-year sabbatical beginning this summer and head north from the Chesapeake then south to the Bahamas in the fall.

I saw a listing for ASA 106/108 9-day training cruise from Jacksonville to Rock Hall MD in late May. Cost is $2500. Boat is full. I saw another school offering ASA 108 for $4400 and 106 for $2200. yikes! The $2500 cost seemed very reasonable to me as it includes all provisions and it would have a focused learning agenda as well as a couple of new stamps for the log book.

ASA 108 does require 107 (celestial), but that is available self-paced. I'm taking it now and it is great to tie navigation together with the celestial piece.

I have been searching for another ASA school that offers the 106/108 at the $2500 price point but so far no luck. The 106/108 approach may make sense for you too and another possibility if you are interested is to find an ASA 206/208 qualified instructor who can schedule the course. Maybe we could find another similarly situated person to make up a full crew of students.

Maybe it's b/c demand for 106/108 is low but there seems to be a limited availability of 206/208 qualified ASA instructors.

I see definite advantages in getting blue water experience on a 106/108 type cruise in comparison to being onboard as crew. In that situation, the master of the boat is just doing a favor to share real time info/training and there is no real agenda (at least not by the ASA course standards).

Jim
breezin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Re: Looking for offshore experience Fl to VA or farther north.

Are you looking for crew? If so let me know when and where you are going please.
birdsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, offshore