Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 19:48   #1

Looking for Like Minded Individuals

Looking for like minded individual(s)
I am placing this forum post in an attempt to identify an individual or individuals that may possibly be interested in purchasing with me a solid sailing vessel and embarking upon a multiyear sailing adventure together.
About me:
Sex: M (hetero)
Health: Excellent (athletic, strong – gym rat.) Bench press 225 lbs., 12x consecutively, non-smoker, social drinker.
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 180
Race: Caucasian
Professional (Sales) – MBA holder

I have $250K to put towards this endeavor - $150k for the boat, and $100K for spending money.
If this post sparks your interest, let’s talk.

I’m exploring this partnering idea to see what it turns up. If nothing of interest, I’ll likely end up buying something and striking out on my own.
chalupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 07:09   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Looking for Like Minded Individuals

you mention nothing about marital status, yet your previous postings mention a wife....this could become most interesting. please splaime how this would work...
stuff could get sticky in event of a divorce and property settlements.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 07:52   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you mention nothing about marital status, yet your previous postings mention a wife....this could become most interesting. please splaime how this would work...
stuff could get sticky in event of a divorce and property settlements.....
She can't get the boat if it's offshore! There have been a few stories in my days about local sailors' boats that "disappeared" from the area and couldn't be located. Canada was always a popular place...
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
She can't get the boat if it's offshore! There have been a few stories in my days about local sailors' boats that "disappeared" from the area and couldn't be located. Canada was always a popular place...
i am certain this statement would truly encourage a single female seeking a solid relationship or partnership to accompany this seeker??
Old 30-11-2016, 08:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i am certain this statement would truly encourage a single female seeking a solid relationship or partnership to accompany this seeker??
Like minded individuals might best the OP by moving the boat when he isn't onboard...
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:47   #6

I was a partner in a fractional ownership for a Catalina 42 in Tortola. worked great for 6 years. I would be up for this . sure!
elittke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:35   #7

ok i have since learned he took care of the outstanding business and doesnt have to concern about property settlements, as divorce already occurred... so-- is anyone ready to partner up in a cruising adventure???
if he is a good boy he will be admitted into ssssm as well as looking via this thread..if i didnt already have a nicely unreasonable formosa ....
Old 30-11-2016, 11:10   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

What part of the world are you thinking of starting this adventure ?
What type and size boat do you have in mind?
I could be interested.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 18:44   #9

Thanks everyone for your responses to my original post. I have not participated in this forum much over the years so I am likely to stumble around a bit in it.

To further clarify my original post, my marital status is “married.”
Estimated departure timing: March-June 2017.
Trip duration: 5-6 years, as long as $100k cruising fund holds out.
Starting Point: Caribbean, but open to starting elsewhere.
Boat size: would depend on number of people involved (38-55’ most likely)
Current location: Southern California, USA
Languages spoken: English/Spanish/French – all fluently.
Other: PADI “Rescue” level certified SCUBA diver.

As I presently view things, the following are my options should I wish to go forward with this adventure. (Ranked in order of preference)
1. Somehow convince my wife of 21 years to embark on it with me. To date she has clearly expressed she doesn’t want to which is the only thing that has held me back from getting underway already. Problem is, she may never decide in favor of it, and with the further passing of years, it’s unlikely she ever will.
2. Buy a sail boat <$150K that I can easily single-hand, and just head out on my own.
a. Something like this perhaps: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Lagoon-410-S2-2979110/HR/Croatia
3. Invite a life-long friend of my mine that has $6,000 to his name, but big dreams of long distance sailing to come along with me. Problem here is the guy is not the most dependable of sorts. He would however, jump at the chance to go.
4. Investigate through this forum to see if there is a like-minded person(s) out there that would be interested in participating in such an adventure, and with whom, I could develop a good friendship based upon mutual respect and a common interest to see the world and all it has to offer.

It’s important that I also clarify I’m not interested in, nor searching for a female, or “soul mate” to join me on such an expedition. I believe I’m currently married to my soul mate, and if I could just persuade her to go with me, then these posts would not have occurred.

The last thing I’m interested in is striking up a new romantic relationship with someone. Friendship and camaraderie is the order of the day here; male and/or female. And to be even more precise, people that are heterosexual, since while I am tolerant of gays, I wouldn’t care to share a small boat with one. Please forgive me if you find this comment offensive, but it’s just the way I was raised. In today’s age, this may not be politically correct to state openly, but it certainly saves having to discuss the sexual orientation topic altogether by being up-front about it.

So if you’re straight, adventurous, want to sail and explore distant lands, have some money to spend, are extroverted (I am, have worked in sales all my life) and want to bail on the rat-race, then this may be something for you to consider further.

If I am ultimately able to convince my wife to go, we’d still be open to partnering with other like-minded individuals, and or a married couple that doesn’t want to long-distance cruise on their own. More money to pool could possibly mean a bigger later model yacht to sail with expenses spread among more people.

We’ve got a quarter-million dollars, and plenty of time to plan to get this party underway. Given this new and more detailed information, if you see a possible fit with your goals and interests, reply to this post with your thoughts, and possibly we can explore pursuing the idea further.

All the Best!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19   #10

Boat: Pearson 530

What sort of minded are you? What is your sailing experience and knowledge of boats, engines, etc? What are your plans/expectations for this "partnership"?
yachtcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03   #11

Minded: open, non-judgemental.

Sailing Experience - just small 22' Capri's rented out of a yacht club in San Diego, CA. ASA 101 basic keel boat certified. Instead of spending lots of $$$ to complete the complete ASA series through formal class work and teacher instruction, I intend to buy the books and just "get out there" and figure the rest out on my own. I'll certainly have the time and motivation to do so.

Knowledge of Sail Boats: Limited to the small Capri 22' I've been renting.
Engines: Basic operation - I know how they work and can perform simple maintenance on them - fluids changes, belt replacement, cooling system repair, etc.

Plans/Expectations - few at this point. However, I'm thinking, for the sake of simplicity taking responsibility for the purchasing of a boat I could easily single-hand myself, so if someone were to join me, (being able to pay their own way,) and things didn't work out, we could simply go our separate ways and that would be that, as they say. The other person wouldn't have anything invested in the boat, thereby keeping them attached to it.

It's important to note that through this adventure one would become by nature of the amount of time spent sailing, a masterful one. That's the idea in the end isn't it?
Learning new things, going to cool new places, the child-like wonder of discovering something new and the process that comes along with it.
This thing is all about new experiences in new places - period.

If I were already accomplished sailor, boat engine fixer and the like, and had nothing new to learn, I'd probably be bored and searching for a new hobby/skill to master. With regard to sailing in particular, I'd probably scrap the idea of cruising the tropics (which is the only area's I'm interested in sailing, for those who wish to know) for the greater challenge of sailing the higher latitudes. But on second thought, that wouldn't work either, cuz I don't like cold weather much!
Old 01-12-2016, 13:33   #12

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupo View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses to my original post. I have not participated in this forum much over the years so I am likely to stumble around a bit in it.

To further clarify my original post, my marital status is “married.”
Estimated departure timing: March-June 2017.
Trip duration: 5-6 years, as long as $100k cruising fund holds out.
Starting Point: Caribbean, but open to starting elsewhere.
Boat size: would depend on number of people involved (38-55’ most likely)
Current location: Southern California, USA
Languages spoken: English/Spanish/French – all fluently.
Other: PADI “Rescue” level certified SCUBA diver.

As I presently view things, the following are my options should I wish to go forward with this adventure. (Ranked in order of preference)
1. Somehow convince my wife of 21 years to embark on it with me. To date she has clearly expressed she doesn’t want to which is the only thing that has held me back from getting underway already. Problem is, she may never decide in favor of it, and with the further passing of years, it’s unlikely she ever will.
2. Buy a sail boat <$150K that I can easily single-hand, and just head out on my own.
a. Something like this perhaps: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Lagoon-410-S2-2979110/HR/Croatia
3. Invite a life-long friend of my mine that has $6,000 to his name, but big dreams of long distance sailing to come along with me. Problem here is the guy is not the most dependable of sorts. He would however, jump at the chance to go.
4. Investigate through this forum to see if there is a like-minded person(s) out there that would be interested in participating in such an adventure, and with whom, I could develop a good friendship based upon mutual respect and a common interest to see the world and all it has to offer.

It’s important that I also clarify I’m not interested in, nor searching for a female, or “soul mate” to join me on such an expedition. I believe I’m currently married to my soul mate, and if I could just persuade her to go with me, then these posts would not have occurred.

The last thing I’m interested in is striking up a new romantic relationship with someone. Friendship and camaraderie is the order of the day here; male and/or female. And to be even more precise, people that are heterosexual, since while I am tolerant of gays, I wouldn’t care to share a small boat with one. Please forgive me if you find this comment offensive, but it’s just the way I was raised. In today’s age, this may not be politically correct to state openly, but it certainly saves having to discuss the sexual orientation topic altogether by being up-front about it.

So if you’re straight, adventurous, want to sail and explore distant lands, have some money to spend, are extroverted (I am, have worked in sales all my life) and want to bail on the rat-race, then this may be something for you to consider further.

If I am ultimately able to convince my wife to go, we’d still be open to partnering with other like-minded individuals, and or a married couple that doesn’t want to long-distance cruise on their own. More money to pool could possibly mean a bigger later model yacht to sail with expenses spread among more people.

We’ve got a quarter-million dollars, and plenty of time to plan to get this party underway. Given this new and more detailed information, if you see a possible fit with your goals and interests, reply to this post with your thoughts, and possibly we can explore pursuing the idea further.

All the Best!

Consider finding yourself good crew here and there, and having your wife fly in to meet you at various ports or exotic places. Might not be able to travel for as long, but may be the best of both for each of you. Or fly to various destinations & play on a rented boat. Tons of great sailing, adventures on water and shore in places like Bay of Islands, New Zealand, and points in between there and Auckland, like Poor Knights Islands. And lakes on the South Island for dinghy sailing. Or a vacation on the Barrier Reef, while we still have it. Or fly to the Maldives while they are still there, and relax on the blue Azure picturesque beaches of Kurumba Village, and rent and day sail between the islands. Or even Caribbean Island vacation with boating involved. Or Montevideo in Uruguay. Or the inner passage of Vancouver Island up to Alaska. Or....I bet you could tailor this to do with your soulmate.
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 14:55   #13

Quote:
Minded: open, non-judgemental
Quote:
while I am tolerant of gays, I wouldn’t care to share a small boat with one
I would seriously consider getting it touch with you, but I'm a few years away from being able to. This just put a huge smile on my face. I am a hetero male, but I love you the way I love this:

"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
- Nigel Powers
DDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:27   #14

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmile View Post
Consider finding yourself good crew here and there, and having your wife fly in to meet you at various ports or exotic places. Might not be able to travel for as long, but may be the best of both for each of you. Or fly to various destinations & play on a rented boat. Tons of great sailing, adventures on water and shore in places like Bay of Islands, New Zealand, and points in between there and Auckland, like Poor Knights Islands. And lakes on the South Island for dinghy sailing. Or a vacation on the Barrier Reef, while we still have it. Or fly to the Maldives while they are still there, and relax on the blue Azure picturesque beaches of Kurumba Village, and rent and day sail between the islands. Or even Caribbean Island vacation with boating involved. Or Montevideo in Uruguay. Or the inner passage of Vancouver Island up to Alaska. Or....I bet you could tailor this to do with your soulmate.
A few more thoughts, since it's more fun over here vicariously on this thread presently, than on my own:
Consider dinghy sailing on Jackson Lake and looking up at the Tetons, with a nice cozy lodge nearby. Or a dinghy sail on Yellowstone lake.

Or launching a vessel out of Anarcortes, WA and wandering over to Jones Island, pitching a tent for base camp, and sailing about the San Juan and Gulf Islands, with day tripping to Victoria, and a walk in Butchart Gardens.

Or a sail from Sitka, AK to the islands for salmon fishing, and after reeling in one, head over to the halibut hole.

Or sailing the Penobscot Bay and the islands off the coast of Maine.

Or a dinghy sail on the warm Great South Bay of Long Island, and then wandering over to Fire island for a drink at the Kismet, or a walk on the boardwalk to the south side for body surfing in the Atlantic. And then warm up after by treading for clams back in the Great South Bay.

Or rent a boat in France, if you can get past them telling you Mistral is coming & circumnavigate Corsica or Sardinia.

Or find the cove with the little taverna and the apartments on the hill above, on the island of Folegandros. Hike the hill in the morning, and walk or bus to town for breakfast of yummy Greek yogurt, then walk across the square to get the bus to the harbor, and catch the little boat that ferries people to the beaches, then stops back in your little cove. And for the afternoon, swim across the cove to your private beach. If you're creative rig an inner tube to carry your newspaper, baget and a bottle of wine.

Or stay on the beach in Goa, and take a swim in the surf in the moonlight. Rent a boat and sail on the river during the day, and have a fire on the beach at night.

Or rent a boat in Croatia, and enjoy the islands there. Or...

Good luck to you, and I hope you and your soulmate carve out some adventures.
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:32   #15

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

My advice: invest more in the relationship,than on boat. Take her around, and rent locally eith a skipper.

Piggybacking :

In a way, i am an adventurous sporty athletic male (straight) available for a similar opportunity.

I am a liveaboard since April 2014, and the refitting of my Nauta54 is close to completion,

I want to sail the Aegean and Black Sea, before crossing the Atlantic.

Applications welcomed :-) for serious medium/long term cooperation in running costs and plans.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote