Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 06:46   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Looking for Like Minded Individuals

The best way to convince your significant other to go would be to charter a cat in the Caribbean for 10 days. It would also give you some insight into sailing/living on one.

Be forewarned that outfitting a boat for a circumnavigation is not cheap. The boat you pointed us to is a pretty barebones example with little of the equipment that you would need for this venture. The listed electronics are CD, radio, and compass. Not even a chart plotter.

Add navigation equipment, depth/speed/wind, RIB and motor, SSB or sat phone, auxiliary charging, safety equipment, and it starts to add up fast. Don't underestimate these costs.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 13:58   #17

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
My advice: invest more in the relationship,than on boat. Take her around, and rent locally eith a skipper.

Piggybacking :

In a way, i am an adventurous sporty athletic male (straight) available for a similar opportunity.

I am a liveaboard since April 2014, and the refitting of my Nauta54 is close to completion,

I want to sail the Aegean and Black Sea, before crossing the Atlantic.

Applications welcomed :-) for serious medium/long term cooperation in running costs and plans.

Where would you be crossing the Atlantic to?
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 14:20   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

The Caribe is a large area, unknown and undifferentiated to me yet. For sure, i want to visit yucatan, panama and Dominican Rep (i have acquaintances there..), and Antigua.

Waves are alike all around. As i float, many places are alike to me.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Chalupo,

Rather than offering your wife an all-or-nothing proposition, why not strike a compromise?

As Suiijin suggested, take her on a two week charter in a really nice area (the BVIs are perfect) on a boat similar to what you hope to buy. Make sure you don't do anything stupid/crazy to scare her. Pamper her every need, and make it a fun, relaxing experience. My wife and I did this when she was having doubts about cruising on our boat in the Caribbean for six months at a time. At the end of our two-week charter, she didn't want to go home! That was in February--we were cruising the Leewards that following November.

The other part is how you handle the passage-making. Offshore passages are frequently stressful and uncomfortable. Some can be terrifying to an in-experienced sailor. I had experienced friends join me as crew for the offshore passages. My wife and our cat flew from home to the islands to join me. Inter-island sailing is fun, and she loved everything about our two years cruising the islands.

The key is to look at it from her point of view, deal with her objections in a positive way, and play up the benefits of cruising in Paradise. Being in sales, you should be good at that!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:37   #20

If getting her away Isnt going to be feasible, maybe start watching some youtube channels like sailing lavagabond or some of the more mature vlogs(gone with the wynns is cute)just so she can get a feel for life on a boat, there are also many sea beggars out there chronicaling their endevours on instagram and facebook in hopes of a donation, you will have to instil the love of the sea in some manner, and if by chance she gets the might bit car sick make sure you have the needed meds if you actually get her out on the water. nothing will ruin your dream quicker than a wife who wants no part of it, speaking of which sv seeker is a perfect example. You have to decide what you want to do when your dream differs from what your wife wants. good luck to you, I am there as a qualified mate but I am a little like your friend with no money , but that is what divorce will do so make your choices wisely.

regards
chris
seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupo View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses to my original post. I have not participated in this forum much over the years so I am likely to stumble around a bit in it.

To further clarify my original post, my marital status is “married.”
Estimated departure timing: March-June 2017.
Trip duration: 5-6 years, as long as $100k cruising fund holds out.
Starting Point: Caribbean, but open to starting elsewhere.
Boat size: would depend on number of people involved (38-55’ most likely)
Current location: Southern California, USA
Languages spoken: English/Spanish/French – all fluently.
Other: PADI “Rescue” level certified SCUBA diver.

As I presently view things, the following are my options should I wish to go forward with this adventure. (Ranked in order of preference)
1. Somehow convince my wife of 21 years to embark on it with me. To date she has clearly expressed she doesn’t want to which is the only thing that has held me back from getting underway already. Problem is, she may never decide in favor of it, and with the further passing of years, it’s unlikely she ever will.
2. Buy a sail boat <$150K that I can easily single-hand, and just head out on my own.
a. Something like this perhaps: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Lagoon-410-S2-2979110/HR/Croatia
3. Invite a life-long friend of my mine that has $6,000 to his name, but big dreams of long distance sailing to come along with me. Problem here is the guy is not the most dependable of sorts. He would however, jump at the chance to go.
4. Investigate through this forum to see if there is a like-minded person(s) out there that would be interested in participating in such an adventure, and with whom, I could develop a good friendship based upon mutual respect and a common interest to see the world and all it has to offer.

It’s important that I also clarify I’m not interested in, nor searching for a female, or “soul mate” to join me on such an expedition. I believe I’m currently married to my soul mate, and if I could just persuade her to go with me, then these posts would not have occurred.

The last thing I’m interested in is striking up a new romantic relationship with someone. Friendship and camaraderie is the order of the day here; male and/or female. And to be even more precise, people that are heterosexual, since while I am tolerant of gays, I wouldn’t care to share a small boat with one. Please forgive me if you find this comment offensive, but it’s just the way I was raised. In today’s age, this may not be politically correct to state openly, but it certainly saves having to discuss the sexual orientation topic altogether by being up-front about it.

So if you’re straight, adventurous, want to sail and explore distant lands, have some money to spend, are extroverted (I am, have worked in sales all my life) and want to bail on the rat-race, then this may be something for you to consider further.

If I am ultimately able to convince my wife to go, we’d still be open to partnering with other like-minded individuals, and or a married couple that doesn’t want to long-distance cruise on their own. More money to pool could possibly mean a bigger later model yacht to sail with expenses spread among more people.

We’ve got a quarter-million dollars, and plenty of time to plan to get this party underway. Given this new and more detailed information, if you see a possible fit with your goals and interests, reply to this post with your thoughts, and possibly we can explore pursuing the idea further.

All the Best!

If your wife is truly your soulmate there should be no question about what you should do.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
If your wife is truly your soulmate there should be no question about what you should do.
Thats exactly what I thought when I read about the OPs "soulmate"

I believe one of the so called criteria for "soulmates" is to be inseparable.

Obviously BOTH of these "soulmates" don't have an issue living apart....whatever. I know a lot of "soulmate" couples that are no more.

Best of luck to the OP.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22   #23
kb1

Interesting idea. Do you use Skype?
Otherwise let's use email:

beaumont_k@yahoo.co.uk
kb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 16:49   #24

Just a quick thank you again to all those that have replied to my original post!
chalupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 18:38   #25

Boat: Beneteau 38S first
Thumbs up Re: Looking for Like Minded Individuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupo View Post
Looking for like minded individual(s)
I am placing this forum post in an attempt to identify an individual or individuals that may possibly be interested in purchasing with me a solid sailing vessel and embarking upon a multiyear sailing adventure together.
About me:
Sex: M (hetero)
Health: Excellent (athletic, strong – gym rat.) Bench press 225 lbs., 12x consecutively, non-smoker, social drinker.
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 180
Race: Caucasian
Professional (Sales) – MBA holder

I have $250K to put towards this endeavor - $150k for the boat, and $100K for spending money.
If this post sparks your interest, let’s talk.

I’m exploring this partnering idea to see what it turns up. If nothing of interest, I’ll likely end up buying something and striking out on my own.
HI I AM VERY MUCH LIKE U IN ALL ASPECTS AND AM LOOKING FOR A YACHT AS WE SPEAK MAYBE 47 FT WITH LOTS OF ROOM . I HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE AND WOULD LIKE TO SPEND THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS SAILING EVERY WHERE. WHOS WITH ME >.LETS GO .. MARCEL
sailing 531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 19:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
hey chalupo or do u have another name mine is marcel originally dutch but have now lived in australia for 30 years and also lived in sandiego with my first american wife . i am separated now and am itching to go sailing again for many years and see every corner if possible im now 59 so have about 20 years to go i hope.
Would t it be nice to have a few old farts like me on a boat without sarcasm and angryness and competetiveness just love and companionship there is a boat going around on utube with 3 guys and they are haveing a ball. thats the spirit and ive got cash waiting to spend on a 47.3 ft beneteau which has four cabins to hide in if u want.
Let the wifes fly in for a few weeks at the time when they want to , thats the solution .
look on yachtmarket and search for beneteau 473 and ull se there are many for sale the one with the watermaker on board would be the best in my opinion. they all have chart pplotters and the rest of the gear a good dinghy is also welcome . lets fill up the tanks and go im ready
.regards marcel
sailing531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 19:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
The Caribe is a large area, unknown and undifferentiated to me yet. For sure, i want to visit yucatan, panama and Dominican Rep (i have acquaintances there..), and Antigua.

Waves are alike all around. As i float, many places are alike to me.
hey thunderbird JO
when u sail from the canaries to the carib just sail to barbados have a look for a few days then go on to bequea where everyone will hang out then u can either go north or south , south would be better petit st vincent carriacou grenada trinidad then either the mainland and on ur way to panama or go back north to st lucia or antiqua st martin the BVI or US vi. there u go .
Greetiings Marcel
Old 14-12-2016, 19:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
Interesting idea. Do you use Skype?
Otherwise let's use email:

beaumont_k@yahoo.co.uk

Hey beamont
Are u interested too???
ive just written to chalupo my whole live story
and ive got lots of experience and could teach others if needed.
if we all have cash to purchase a yacht like for instance a 47.3 ft beneteau which has 4 cabins we will all have ourt own room for privacy.
Most boats have a chart plotter to show us the way around the world. a good dinghy and outboard and a water maker is important too.
greetz marcel
marceltromp@yahoo.com
Old 15-12-2016, 03:22   #29

Would you consider doing Caribbean regattas with the new boat? That would be my plan. Then we should talk. Make a business plan.
elittke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:35   #30

if you want to buy a good and not expensive boat go to Canada, I have been working there and have seen some good boats and good prices.
good luck
itororo75 is offline   Reply With Quote