Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2021, 11:48   #1

Looking for Canadian crew in St. Martin or nearby

Hello to Canadian sailors in the Caribbean. My partner and I, iva, are sailing from Saint Martin to Nova Scotia The third week of May. We are looking for two crew to join us who have experience in Bluewater sailing and multi day voyaging. We will stop in Bermuda for re-provisioning and refuelling for a couple of days and then head out. We will be out of hurricane zone, north of 40 before June 1.

I am an experienced sailor and racer and Bluewater cruising is relatively new to me so we are getting to know our new to us boat, each day bringing further adventures and discoveries.

We are looking for crew who know their stuff and who are capable sailors and navigators at night.

Our boat is a 2014 Boreal 47. In the blue water category, it is a multi award-winning 47 foot aluminum monohull. she is extremely seaworthy and robust. We bought her because she is one of the safest boats we have found to travel distance on. our plan is to get her home to the East Coast and then venture further north into labrador and beyond. We have no timeline, only a wish to be in Northern waters.

Please contact me and provide a CV with a reference or two. This is a non-paying position, we will cover provisions and you will need your personal safety gear. We hope you will find the experience itself rewarding and worth every moment!

I can be reached at 3406904966 in USVI, and sailalutia@gmail.com

This is us, and this is the boat, Alutia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	570D1ACA-529D-4B30-B5DF-7C46BCFBD987.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	237008   Click image for larger version

Name:	8AA8FF73-4466-4993-B801-BC1DDAEE6D73.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	237009  

Name:	9B9A8909-0467-4F6D-9686-5D9454124E53.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	237010   Click image for larger version

Name:	808BEE1B-45E6-4EF5-B90C-099D9230AE4C.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	237011  

Name:	B48CF287-97E4-4CD7-82C9-03F15A8749F6.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	237012   Click image for larger version

Name:	07EE2E45-06BB-43F9-900E-C04FE590066E.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	237013  

Setsail360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 11:57   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Looking for Canadian crew in St. Martin or nearby

Gorgeous boat! Congratulations. If you would/could consider an American, I might be interested. Not sure I would currently be allowed into Nova Scotia. I have solo watch-standing, navigation and multi-day passage experience. Been sailing for 50 years.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 13:13   #3

Like the resume, but concerned about landing you in Canada.
Old 21-04-2021, 13:15   #4

I suppose itís possible to drop someone off in Bermuda as well. Though we would like a full sail with you to Canada. But will be flexible as the situation develops.
Old 21-04-2021, 13:17   #5

Boat: Searching for a trimaran

Where might you be going in Nova Scotia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
Gorgeous boat! Congratulations. If you would/could consider an American, I might be interested. Not sure I would currently be allowed into Nova Scotia. I have solo watch-standing, navigation and multi-day passage experience. Been sailing for 50 years.
Americans not allowed to enter Canada now.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 13:21   #6

Most probably we would be landing in Halifax, Lunenburg has no border services as far as I know. But it is a possibility depending on a few things that I need to look into. What are your thoughts?
Old 21-04-2021, 13:40   #7

Hi

I live in Canada and Nova Scotia has very strict rules right now for Covid 19 travellers, I suggest you check carefully with the province before arriving. I would love to join you on your beautiful boat but I am anxiously awaiting the Canada US border to open so we can sail our own boat on Lake Champlain.

Good Luck, safe trip and enjoy Canada if you make it.

Allan

You have a great boat
hycslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 16:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post

Americans not allowed to enter Canada now.
Not true. But there are lots of restrictions.
Captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 04:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsail360 View Post
Like the resume, but concerned about landing you in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Americans are not allowed to enter Canada now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captandrew View Post
Not true. But there are lots of restrictions.
Drew, you are off-base (and American). Please do not spread false, unsubstatiated conjecture.

Currently, Americans are NOT permitted to cross the border - especially for what is considered a "non-essential" reason like sailing a boat North from the Caribbean.

The Canada-US border is closed.

Nova Scotia Travel Info (also includes links to the Government of Canada website)
https://www.novascotia.com/travel-info/coronavirus

Both SetSail360 and LongJohnSilver are correct.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 05:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Drew, you are off-base (and American). Please do not spread false, unsubstatiated conjecture.

Currently, Americans are NOT permitted to cross the border - especially for what is considered a "non-essential" reason like sailing a boat North from the Caribbean.

The Canada-US border is closed.

Nova Scotia Travel Info (also includes links to the Government of Canada website)
https://www.novascotia.com/travel-info/coronavirus

Both SetSail360 and LongJohnSilver are correct.

LittleWing77
Think what you want. I have personal knowledge having done so. It is possible but it is complicated.
Captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 06:34   #11

Boat: Stevens 47

Work is considered an essential service. Bringing your boat to Canada is a delivery not (necessarily) a pleasure trip. If you hired non-Canadian crew, they would be working thus essential. I donít think that would be a problem. There was a lot of people shipping their RVs to US this winter by having an American transport company come up and get them and drive them to US.
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 07:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mirage 27

Covid update coming today as cases have increased dramatically in last week. Here's Nova Scotia's website pertaining to restrictions on travelling to and from the province. Provincial government has even restricted travel bewteen provinces for now so I would be careful before making plans to land here. Besides provincial restrictions, there are a lot of federal restrictions coming to Canada for "non-essential" reasons.

https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/travel/

This is the general website for Nova Scotia'scovid response. We, in Halifax, expect a total shutdown of Halifax municipality for at least two weeks in the update today. This has happened in the past and we expect it to happen in todays announcement.

https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/
Old 22-04-2021, 07:19   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, just reported.... 38 new cases today in Nova Scotia, 33 in central zone that includes Halifax. 25 yesterday, not a good sign that our borders or anything else will be open soon or remain open as is.
Old 22-04-2021, 07:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Current, right off the website.

After starting quarantine at your point of entry into Canada, you can complete the rest of your quarantine in Nova Scotia once you receive your first negative test result and if you meet the criteria for essential travel. You need to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days in Canada, even with negative test results. Your quarantine period ends after 14 days if you receive your second (day-10) negative test result.

International travellers who complete their quarantine outside Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland and Labrador before coming to Nova Scotia need to self-isolate for another 14 days when they arrive in Nova Scotia.

Every adult (18 or older) travelling into Nova Scotia needs to complete a Nova Scotia Safe Check-in Form (self-declaration) before they travel to the province, even if they're exempt from self-isolation. You also need to follow public health measures while you're in Nova Scotia.
Old 22-04-2021, 07:54   #15

Traveling during a pandemic is not easy and is advised against.

It is highly advised that anyone that is embarked on a yacht be considered a potential Covid infected person and that they may become ill during passage and / or infect others that are aboard. A recent negative PCR test should be required of all persons before departure, yourself and your partner included and that all should remain isolated from contact from all others for several days before the PCR test and remain isolated from others until the vessel departs port. Full quarantine before departure minimizes the potential for illness at sea. St. Martin requires Covid insurance coverage for all travelers for the duration of their stay on the isle but you as the master of your vessel should require similarly for crew that you take charge of as to having insurance coverage for the duration of their voyage.

I suspect you will be in need of locating crew that is presently in St. Martin or at least in the Caribbean because Ottawa and the Canadian airlines agree to suspend flights to Caribbean and Mexico from January 31st until at least April 30th; expect that the flight cancellations will be continued well into summer. The airlines did indicate that they would have a few one way commercial flights to enable repatriation of Canadians back to the country but would not provide for flights from Canada to the Caribbean and Mexico.

Indeed crossing the Canadian / USA border is complicated as only essential travel and certain repatriation is permitted.

The Inter-Provincial travel restrictions within Canada are an added challenge.

And then there is the complications associated with your intended entry and potential reprovisioning in Bermuda - details regarding that possibility are listed below. Because the pandemic situation remains very dynamic one should not plan of being able to enter or reprovision in Bermuda, or anywhere els, but instead should be prepared to sail in one continuous journey from your place of departure to your final destination. Stock your boat as if you may need to remain on such for a couple of months as that may become the situation. Plan that your desired end point for your journey may be closed and you will need to find alternative destinations.

Depending on your permanent residency status in regards to a specific province, presently with the adverse status of the pandemic in Canada, the proper scheme would be for you to plan for NOT being permitted entry to a province that is not your place of permanent residency, and similarly as to each and everyone of your crew, meaning that certain persons may be disallowed and certain persons may be allowed entry but since you are the master of the vessel, your crew is your responsibility under maritime law [they are not invited guests of which you can simply part ways with], and for your plan B being you may be allowed to enter. There be complications when one embarks persons on your boat of which you should be fully aware before allowing such.

There are Canadian members of the CruisersForum who have not been allowed to enter the maritime provinces for over a year because they are not permanent residents thereof. Proof of permanent residency being required before entry is allowed. So carefully evaluate your ability to enter and that of any of your pickup crew for which you being the master of the vessel will be legally responsible for if you allow them to embark, and that legal liability includes the fact that they may not be allowed to disembark your vessel and you will be required to provide for their extended care and conveyance to a place of disembarkation. They be under your care and responsibility.

The Province of Nova Scotia has declared a state of emergency. For the latest information regarding the COVID-19 situation and public health restrictions in Nova Scotia, please visit: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/

Effective April 22, 2021 people from outside Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador will not be allowed to enter Nova Scotia unless their travel is essential or they are permanent residents of Nova Scotia.

The following types of travel from outside Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland and Labrador are considered essential:
people who live in Nova Scotia but their primary employment is in another province
federally approved temporary foreign workers
people who need to participate in-person in a legal proceeding in another province
post-secondary students coming to study in Nova Scotia
post-secondary students returning to their primary or family residence in Nova Scotia and parents who accompany them
parents picking up a student in Nova Scotia to take them home as quickly as possible
people who can demonstrate that they already have a new permanent address in Nova Scotia as of April 21 and are moving here permanently
people traveling for child custody reasons following the child custody protocol
people who are exempt from self-isolation following the exempt traveler protocol
people traveling between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick for work, school or children in child care, following conditions in the protocol for travel between these provinces
Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island are permitted to travel to and within Nova Scotia without the requirement to isolate.
Every adult will need to show either a drivers' licence, government identification card, health card, or a utility bill or bank statement with a valid Newfoundland and Labrador or PEI address to provincial officials at airports, ferries or the land border when they arrive in the province. No self-declaration form is required to enter Nova Scotia.
PEI and Newfoundland and Labrador residents also need to follow public health directives while they're in Nova Scotia.

Then there is the matter of needing PCR tests within 72 hours of arrival and the 14 days of self-isolation / quarantine if allowed in country.

Bermuda update as of 14 April, 2021

Effective April 13, 2021 Bermuda will be placed under a ĎStay at Homeí order. Bermudaís airport and borders remain open and ALL nonessential businesses on-island will be closed Ė for at least 7 days.

See Bermuda Marine and Ports for the latest procedures for arriving yachts.
It is now possible to sail to Bermuda and avoid quarantine if you arrive with a negative Covid-19 PCR test result taken no more than 5 (five) days before arrival in Bermuda from last port.
Yachts with crew that do not have a timely pre-departure negative test result must quarantine and will not be allowed to disembark or make landfall. They instead will be tested on the third day after arrival and will be obligated to quarantine on-board until they receive back notification of a negative test.

All crew must also apply for travel authorization (TA) by completing the TA Form set out on the Ministry of Health website up to 7 days before departing your last port. You must upload your negative test result. A $75 fee is required, $30 for age 9 and younger, which includes the cost of the PCR COVID-19 testing in Bermuda. You will be tested several times during your stay.
The completed TA form and negative test results must be sent to dutyofficer@marops.bm and porthealth@gov.bm.
Health Insurance is required to include cover for Covid-19 related illness.
On arrival there will be an assessment by Port Health at the yacht reporting center in St Georgeís Harbor where yachts will also clear Customs. Crew arriving with a pre-departure negative result will be tested again on arrival and must quarantine on the yacht until a negative result has been obtained (turnaround time approx. 24 hrs).
Yachts with prior permission from Customs may be permitted to proceed to a marina to clear Customs and get assessed by Port Health.
You will be required to fill in a Maritime Declaration of Health.
Further testing will take place on days 3, 7 and 14 if still in Bermuda at easily accessible pop-up testing centres around the island. Health monitoring is mandatory during your stay.
On departure, certain procedures must be followed. Find details at Guidance for Mariners.
The situation remains fluid. Bermuda Marine and Ports will continue to be updated with the latest information on pre-arrival requirements and other policies impacting mariners.

God Speed on your voyage.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, Canada, crew, experienced, solo watch, St Martin