Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 18:35   #31

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 40
Re: Looking for Canadian crew in St. Martin or nearby

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm in Halifax now waiting for the lockdown to end so I can get on board the boat wr bought last week.... gonna be 2 more weeks but then we too plan on buming around the northern areas and then head to the caribean in November.

Shelbourne has a customs clearance port. And it is pretty fanatical here with covid measures and honestly its been a great place to spend covid for that reason. That being said you can come just be smart and do the social isolation on board and follow the guidelines.

Hit me up we will likely be launching sometime in mid to late may from Chester. We can show you around once yer vaccinated or finished isolation
Mad Multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Multi View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm in Halifax now waiting for the lockdown to end so I can get on board the boat wr bought last week.... gonna be 2 more weeks but then we too plan on buming around the northern areas and then head to the caribean in November.

Shelbourne has a customs clearance port. And it is pretty fanatical here with covid measures and honestly its been a great place to spend covid for that reason. That being said you can come just be smart and do the social isolation on board and follow the guidelines.

Hit me up we will likely be launching sometime in mid to late may from Chester. We can show you around once yer vaccinated or finished isolation
Sounds great! Look forward to hearing from you. You can email me at wildlife360@gmail.com
Setsail360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 12:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Drew, you are off-base (and American). Please do not spread false, unsubstatiated conjecture.

Currently, Americans are NOT permitted to cross the border - especially for what is considered a "non-essential" reason like sailing a boat North from the Caribbean.

The Canada-US border is closed.

Nova Scotia Travel Info (also includes links to the Government of Canada website)
https://www.novascotia.com/travel-info/coronavirus

Both SetSail360 and LongJohnSilver are correct.

LittleWing77
. Is that you Joe and Annie?
lostourmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:22   #34

Boat: Hunter 340

Beware with this voyage
Reliable sources have indicated not to touch and there has been significant problems related to this vessel and captain.
WindsongII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:52   #35

Sad but true !
Capt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 14:06   #36

Dear sirs. To those of you who choose to post these responses under the guise of anonymity: There was a recent crew dismissal by me, based on very real evidence that both the safety of the vessel was at risk as well as risk to the health and well-being of those other members onboard. This is a captains prerogative and duty. This is not a forum where I will discuss differing perspectives, of which there always will be, in such situations. I stand by my decision to act with swiftness and surety.
Old 28-05-2021, 14:33   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsongII View Post
Beware with this voyage
Reliable sources have indicated not to touch and there has been significant problems related to this vessel and captain.
"reliable sources" generally have more than two posts here.
Old 28-05-2021, 16:44   #38

FYI Update as to entry to St. Martin.

Covid-19 - entry conditions by air to and from St. Martin, St. Bartholomew
Last updated: 05/20/2021 5:13 PM

A PCR test less than 72 hours old is required that does not find covid-19 contamination.

In addition, travel is prohibited unless it is based on a compelling personal or family motive, a health reason that is subject to urgency or a professional reason that cannot be deferred.

Upon arrival in Guadeloupe, travellers will be required to present one or more supporting documents to the shipping company or airline before boarding, as well as a statement on the honour of the reason for travel.

Reference links:

http://www.saint-barth-saint-martin....int-Barthelemy

https://www.guadeloupe.gouv.fr/conte...MARTINIQUE.pdf

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:02   #39

FYI:

As to entry to Nova Scotia. Today's news.

Nova Scotia says latest COVID-19 wave crushed, announces cautious reopening plan

https://www.nsnews.com/coronavirus-c...g-plan-3820737

As Nova Scotia emerges from the biggest COVID-19 outbreak to hit the Atlantic region since the pandemic began, the province released Friday a cautious plan to reopen the economy and lift lockdown restrictions. Unlike other provinces, Nova Scotia's plan doesn't include any dates. Instead, Premier Iain Rankin unveiled a complex, five-phase strategy that won't progress until the province meets certain vaccination rates and hospitalization numbers.
"It's based on data, not dates," Rankin told a news conference.
The province's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Robert Strang, said each phase could take as little as two weeks to complete. But if the province fails to reach its targets or infections spike, each phase could take up to four weeks.

it could be as early as July 1 that conditions would allow Nova Scotia to rejoin the Atlantic Bubble, an arrangement that allows residents to travel within the region without having to self-isolate.

And the province's top doctor hinted that travellers from outside the region may be allowed to travel to Nova Scotia for non-essential reasons as early as August. Strang, however, made it clear that the province's "slow, steady and cautious" approach could take much longer to complete if the four-week cycles are needed.

The P.E.I. government hopes to welcome select travellers from across the country as early as Aug. 8, and then open to everyone as of Sept. 12. In New Brunswick, the government plans to drop all pandemic-related restrictions by Aug. 2 — assuming the province can meet its vaccine targets and there are no outbreaks.
Old 29-05-2021, 07:01   #40

Hello,
I think my answer ‘’sad but true’’ was mis-interpreted, I was referring about the Covid situation ! Not at all about the post concerning your boat and his captain.
By the way I am a Canadian Master Mariner of 40 years experience, and will retire around September this year, I would have loved to sail your boat to Halifax. On my last ship I did 280 times New-York Bermuda ! Yes 280 times... In a 5 years period. A few Atlantic crossing solo either on my own sailing boat.
Good luck with your wonderful project and boat !
Philippe
Capt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 07:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt123 View Post
Hello,
I think my answer ‘’sad but true’’ was mis-interpreted, I was referring about the Covid situation ! Not at all about the post concerning your boat and his captain.
By the way I am a Canadian Master Mariner of 40 years experience, and will retire around September this year, I would have loved to sail your boat to Halifax. On my last ship I did 280 times New-York Bermuda ! Yes 280 times... In a 5 years period. A few Atlantic crossing solo either on my own sailing boat.
Philippe
Old 30-05-2021, 09:15   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt123 View Post
Hello,
Philippe
Thanks Philippe for your clarity regarding the comment.
Old 30-05-2021, 09:52   #43

FYI regarding Mariners entry requirements to Bermuda:

Travellers to Bermuda must follow the requirements set-out in the Quarantine (COVID-19) (No.3) Order 2020.

Both visitors and residents must apply for a Bermuda COVID-19 Travel Authorisation 1 to 3 days before departure and cannot travel to Bermuda without an approved Travel Authorisation. Submission of a Travel Authorisation within 24 hours of your travel date will not be approved.

To obtain approval for a Travel Authorisation, visitors must provide proof of valid negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 5 days* before arrival. (*For example, a pre-arrival COVID-19 PCR test taken on 4th December, will be valid for arrival in Bermuda until 9th December).

Test type must be a PCR test. (Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.)

Effective Wednesday, 5th May all non-immunised travellers to Bermuda must quarantine in their accommodation for four days. They may only be released from quarantine after receiving a negative result from the Day 4 COVID-19 test. To be followed by another test on Day 8 and also on Day 14. In this case, quarantine relates to the property at which the traveller is staying, not a single room.

Mariner's Travel Authorisation

TRAVEL AUTHORISATION APPLICATION
Bermuda Travel Authorisation (Mariners)
International travel during the COVID-19 pandemic has risks. Our traveller protocols are designed to protect you and Bermuda.

Travellers to Bermuda must follow the requirements set-out in the Quarantine (COVID-19) (No.3) Order 2020.

IMPORTANT: If you test positive at any time, or if you are identified as a close contact of a positive person, you shall self-isolate for 14 days at your accommodation at your cost. This applies even if you are vaccinated. By purchasing a Travel Authorisation you agree to comply with Bermuda’s laws designed to protect residents and visitors from COVID-19 spread as outlined here, including wearing a traveller wristband (required) and a quarantine monitoring bracelet (if required).

Important Notices:

The Travel Authorisation process only allows access for 7 days before departure. Please read the requirements and come back within 7 days of your departure to complete the process.
Only Visa and Mastercard payment accepted.
Please complete the Travel Authorisation form carefully to ensure the information is accurate.

https://www.gov.bm/mariners-travel-authorisation

Mariners must take a COVID-19 PCR test within 5 days of arriving to Bermuda

Mariners who do not have a valid COVID-19 PCR pre-departure test result, will be required to quarantine onboard until receipt of a negative day 14 test result, inclusive of the time taken to arrive in Bermuda, on the vessel he/she is travelling on.

You may depart Bermuda at any time during your journey

For any queries, contact Bermuda’s COVID hotline at +1 (441) 444-2498 between 9am and 9pm or email at coronavirus@gov.bm

All the best, safe travels.
Old 30-05-2021, 12:10   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
FYI regarding Mariners entry requirements to Bermuda:

Both visitors and residents must apply for a Bermuda COVID-19 Travel Authorisation 1 to 3 days before departure and cannot travel to Bermuda without an approved Travel Authorisation. Submission of a Travel Authorisation within 24 hours of your travel date will not be approved.

To obtain approval for a Travel Authorisation, visitors must provide proof of valid negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 5 days* before arrival. (*For example, a pre-arrival COVID-19 PCR test taken on 4th December, will be valid for arrival in Bermuda until 9th December).

Test type must be a PCR test. (Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.)

Effective Wednesday, 5th May all non-immunised travellers to Bermuda must quarantine in their accommodation for four days. They may only be released from quarantine after receiving a negative result from the Day 4 COVID-19 test. To be followed by another test on Day 8 and also on Day 14. In this case, quarantine relates to the property at which the traveller is staying, not a single room.

Mariner's Travel Authorisation

TRAVEL AUTHORISATION APPLICATION
Bermuda Travel Authorisation (Mariners)
International travel during the COVID-19 pandemic has risks. Our traveller protocols are designed to protect you and Bermuda.

IMPORTANT: If you test positive at any time, or if you are identified as a close contact of a positive person, you shall self-isolate for 14 days at your accommodation at your cost. This applies even if you are vaccinated. By purchasing a Travel Authorisation you agree to comply with Bermuda’s laws designed to protect residents and visitors from COVID-19 spread as outlined here, including wearing a traveller wristband (required) and a quarantine monitoring bracelet (if required).

Important Notices:

The Travel Authorisation process only allows access for 7 days before departure. Please read the requirements and come back within 7 days of your departure to complete the process.
Only Visa and Mastercard payment accepted.
Please complete the Travel Authorisation form carefully to ensure the information is accurate.

https://www.gov.bm/mariners-travel-authorisation

Mariners must take a COVID-19 PCR test within 5 days of arriving to Bermuda

Mariners who do not have a valid COVID-19 PCR pre-departure test result, will be required to quarantine onboard until receipt of a negative day 14 test result, inclusive of the time taken to arrive in Bermuda, on the vessel he/she is travelling on.

You may depart Bermuda at any time during your journey

For any queries, contact Bermuda’s COVID hotline at +1 (441) 444-2498 between 9am and 9pm or email at coronavirus@gov.bm

All the best, safe travels.

Thank you Montanan and all who have posted with interest in making the voyage back to Canada. I have you on file and will follow up as needed. Covid times make journeying a more complex experience and so I appreciate even more so the support I have received from this forum.

Tags
Bermuda, Canada, crew, experienced, solo watch, St Martin