Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 09:43   #1

Boat: Freedom 38
Kauai to San Francisco - mid July

Hi,

I'm seeking 2 volunteer crew for ~3-week return delivery from Kauai to San Francisco beginning on or shortly after July 15. I will be racing solo to Hanalei Bay, departing SF June 23 with an expected arrival of July 7 or 8. You would be welcome to arrive before the anticipated departure date to enjoy the area or the post race activities. I will provide onboard provisions as well as pick up/drop off from/to Lihue and San Francisco airports. Each of us would be expected to share watchstanding shifts and some meal prep.

The boat is a 1988 Freedom 38 that is set up for offshore shorthand sailing. She's a dry boat with a full galley, nav station, 2 private berths, a lee berth, and one head. She's equipped with standard safety equipment (EPIRB, life raft, flares, first aid, etc) as well as a Monitor wind vane, solar, SSB with Pactor modem, redundant navigation systems such as computer with OpenCPN, B&G multifunction display, backup GPS, etc., along with radar, AIS receiver, and a Garmin tracker.

As to type of crew, you don't need to be expert, but I would prefer those who have done some offshore passagemaking. Of course, if you're completely green, but more than enthusiastic about gaining experience, let me know and we can discuss further. You'd need to bring your own tethers, foulies and the usual personal gear. I can provide life jackets with harnesses, if needed.

About me: 53-year old woman who's been singlehanded sailing/racing for the past 5 years. I'm also a diver and environmental consultant. The trips over and back will be my first big passages. I've done a number of overnight solo trips with the longest being 400 miles and 3 nights offshore.

Feel free to respond to this post with questions/comments. If you're interested, send a PM here or an email to: office at seajayenv dot com. Please tell me about yourself and your experience. Let me know what further details you would like to know, too.

Mahalo,

Carliane Johnson
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 16:10   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Kauai to San Francisco - mid July

Hi, Carliane,

Jim's and my second ocean passage was from Hanalei Bay to SF, in a 30 footer, in August. The first 3 days were hard on the wind, and I wish I had had Stugeron back then!

In July, you should have good winds for the passage, and be pretty far west in the beginning, to escape the tropical storms that come out of Mexico. (Our fastest day's run in that boat, done on the way to Oahu, Kaneohe Bay, done under storm jib as tropical storm Gil overtook us).

I wish you and your crew-to-be fair winds, and a pleasant passage.

Ann
Old 30-05-2018, 16:18   #3

Thanks, Ann! That's encouraging. I have heard it can be a hard passage especially near the CA coast. My qualifier was under 2 nights of gale in mid 30-knot winds and breaking swell that would cascade into the cockpit like a waterfall. The boat handled it all with a little shudder and just kept chugging merrily along. Me...I was wishing I had had Stugeron, too
Old 30-05-2018, 17:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very good Crew Wanted post or notice!
One of the best I have seen on CF and exemplary.
I wish every captain provided such good detail.

I have already sent you some info.

From Kauai to San Francisco

That is a memorable passage for me, with vivid memories of seeing whales visit my boat while we were becalmed in mid Pacific, swimming in 16,000 feet of water while becalmed, many dolphins, albatrosses, catching fish, bioluminescent waters in mid Pacific, mirror like ocean, a true strong gale, near miss with a huge log, close encounters with fishing boats and commercial ships, navigating without GPS by using a sextant, engineless sailing with wind or slowly drifting with no wind, reflections of the Milky Way on the calm ocean surface at night, traveling through the Pacific Gyre and seeing miles and miles of floating plastic on the surface, heat, fog, cold, rain. It was an unforgettable experience.

I am sure it will be a special voyage for you and your crew too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 18:08   #5

Having done 3 deliveries from Hawaii, I agree completely about the first couple of days being rough. The rest of the trips were not bad, but it got cold near the Calif coast. Two were to San Francisco and one to LA and I did not have to go farther North than the Lat of San Francisco for any of them. Two of the boats had plenty of fuel but one was a racer with a small tank. Almost ran down a Whale Shark that was close to the size of the 44 footer we were sailing and saw a few big logs, but surprising little trash. Came across a 22 foot boat with an old guy on board that asked us to telephone his wife when we arrived, to say he was way behind schedule but safe. Only saw a few large ships. Good sailing ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 22:00   #6

It makes my heart flutter with excitement to hear of these great experiences! I'll try to remember to post a follow up on the trip. As to "cold near the California coast" it felt like the first day of winter (ahem, summer) here today -- 30 degrees colder than it was yesterday -- and blowing like crazy. I do love it though, but also have enough fleece and foulies to keep a small army warm
Old 30-05-2018, 22:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Came across a 22 foot boat with an old guy on board that asked us to telephone his wife when we arrived, to say he was way behind schedule but safe.
Wow. Just wow. How did that conversation go with his wife?
Old 30-05-2018, 22:06   #8

Oh thanks for the reminder, Steadman. I also have a sextant. I'm looking forward to the practice!
Old 30-05-2018, 23:23   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wish I could do that trip!
You are already used to the cold part anyway!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:19   #10

Boat: TBA

Hello Carliane, nice post. I have worked on the water of BC. Canada coast 25 years as a crewman, commercial fisherman and later Mate. I hold a watchkeeping Mates ticket . I am sort of retiring and am looking to sail, my lifelong dream. I am looking for a boat now but am looking to get some sailing . I have studied somewhat and have daysailed,also had a small sailer a while back. I am 61 in good condition and would enjoy joining you in July.
Regards
Jamie Smith
Ladner57@gmail.com
Ladnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 12:51   #11

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

Sent you a PM
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 15:35   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

That is a good crew wanted post!

Your well developed skills will serve you in the race, and I hope that your good luck will serve you in the crew selection!

BTW, do you intend the return to go through the high or around the top of it?

Jim
Old 31-05-2018, 17:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Carliane,

Would love to make that trip but have a grandkid due end of June. Don't think I want to miss that.

Good luck. Sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 21:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That is a good crew wanted post!

Your well developed skills will serve you in the race, and I hope that your good luck will serve you in the crew selection!

BTW, do you intend the return to go through the high or around the top of it?

Jim
Thank you, Jim, for those kind words. I haven't made any decisions yet on crew, but I am getting good inquiries. My initial thinking about the East Pacific High is to go around the top of it provided it's not all the way to Alaska. I don't have a huge fuel tank (27 gal) though I will bring at least 10 more gallons in two jerry cans. The plan is to sail as much as possible. If becalmed, then we'll motor. What would be your strategy for dealing with the high?
Old 31-05-2018, 21:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Carliane,

Would love to make that trip but have a grandkid due end of June. Don't think I want to miss that.

Good luck. Sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Skip
Hey Skip, good to hear from you! Congrats on the new grandbaby I'd say that sounds a bit more exciting and certainly not be missed. Steadman has suggested that I put together a trip report of both going over and coming back. I will try to keep a journal and maybe take video though I always think this is such a grand idea until I realize how much work is involved. So no promises....

Tags
kauai, san francisco