Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 09:17   #1

Hey skipper, wanna sail?

First caveat: Not looking to hire a professional captain whose business is running vessels and is seeking his or her next paycheck.

The person I'm looking for is someone who wants to share an experience sailing a cool vessel that neither of us have been on and is looking forward to doing what is necessary to make the adventure a success.

You MUST be able to manage sails and navigate a 42' ketch from the South Atlantic coast, Georgia area, to Texas.

Looking for someone who has a solid understanding of the fundamentals, rigging, how to raise, reef, manage all sails and lines.

Someone who can help me get the vessel to Texas successfully and I'll learn while helping. I've never been on a sail boat, so a skipper who can communicate and operate it while teaching without killing us is what's needed. Not so concerned about credentials or having 'x' years of experience so much as the person being competent and knowing what they are doing to maintain a level of safety.

I get along with most people, those who are polite and reliable are most definitely preferred.
Myself, I'm a male in my mid 30's; now whether the skipper is male or female, younger or older than myself, I will maintain a friendly and professional attitude irregardless and would like the other person to as well.

Second caveat: Not interested in traveling with anyone who will cause a dangerous situation or who uses drugs.

Regarding the planning of the acquisition of this vessel and journey of this vessel, I typically like to do things the best way possible and be a perfectionist, but the time constraint is real and this may not be without unforeseen delays or surprises, but nothing that cannot be managed.
There will most certainly be some unknowns and things to solve, but I'm looking for someone who understands that and is willing to forge ahead with me.
What I really need is for someone to show up who can run a boat.. I'll cover the cost of your lodging until we verify the bilge functions, radio, nav equipment and other systems check out (it's all about 2008-2010 electronics) provision the boat and leave. I'll also cover all costs associated with the journey, including the persons travel back home. Again, not looking to simply hire a professional captain but rather someone interested in a spontaneous adventure. If you happen to also be a professional captain by all means, you are welcome also.

There may be future sailing opportunities in much more beautiful areas, provided we can get along for future trips.
This will probably depend on the other person as I'm easy to get along with and reliable. A certain trust between us will need to be established and we will need to be able to rely on each other. I've got a clean background and will expect the other person to also, don't want to be associated with anyone who has been in and out of jail, involved with drugs, or someone who thinks it will be fun to operate a boat without knowing how.

Hoping to get some assistance from someone who has some extra time and wants to meet a new friend with whom they can get to know a vessel with and make a fun and memorable experience. It's an opportunity to go sailing for without having to pay for expenses.

Boats is going to get new batteries when I get there, freshwater tank filled up, fuel tank filled with diesel, full systems and instrument check, provisioned with lots of drinking water and our food, plunk and go. If I cannot make local contacts to assist us during that time I'll simply rent a car or use local transport so that we can get to a Walmart, pick up some new deep cycle batteries, get maintenance items for the engine so that I know 100% the oil and filter is fresh, fuel/water separator has been replaced, that way we don't have engine problems while motorized or run into a problem with unknown batteries.
I have experience working as a mechanic and will do the work so that when we leave the engine is reliable and the maintenance is fresh. It will take approximately two days to do the maintenance, I figure I'll have to run back to a store for something that's how things go.
While I work on the mechanical you can figure out getting the electronics programmed, check the lines and rigging, then we will get the boat provisioned.
I am also good with electronics and would like to learn how to operate the navigational equipment.

Please contact me with some basic details about yourself and your experience if interested.

Third caveat: I'm here to make plans, here to be productive; please reply only if you have something positive to add or have interest in showing up and being the skipper on this vessel.

Thank you, hopefully I can find someone soon, I've got about a week to do so.
polyxena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:37   #2

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Hey skipper, wanna sail?

Maybe I missed it, but to TX from where?
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:57   #3

Starting from the South Atlantic Coast traveling south down the Florida coast then through the keys, up and across the gulf coast back to Texas.
polyxena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Interesting post indeed. First caveat to anyone responding to this Recruitment Advertisement which was made crystal clear in the first few words: The OP is NOT looking to hire a professional captain whose business is running vessels and is seeking his or her next paycheck, but it is ok as he said, if you are a pro and want to go for the fun of it. It seems that what he is seeking is a lifelong friend that he has not yet met, but who is willing to commit (and within a week) to many weeks or months to train him to become a competent mariner (he'll do the mechanical work while you check the rigging and program electronics and teach him...and which one pulls the other up the mast??? I'm just asking....) and get the boat all ready--in exchange for free sailing. I wish the OP the best in finding such a person who is willing to devote so much time and energy and skill and experience and work to a stranger--for free. It would be a match made in heaven, but this is Planet Ocean. And you must hurry up too, as the self described perfectionist says he only has a week to go! So, you'd better drop everything and get to Georgia. And no running into dangerous situations or drugs. I hope the OP has a great adventure as it looks like that is almost guaranteed. It would be a match made in heaven, but this is not heaven nor is it Iowa, but it is Planet Ocean.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 11:51   #5

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Interesting post indeed. First caveat to anyone responding to this Recruitment Advertisement which was made crystal clear in the first few words: The OP is NOT looking to hire a professional captain whose business is running vessels and is seeking his or her next paycheck, but it is ok as he said, if you are a pro and want to go for the fun of it. It seems that what he is seeking is a lifelong friend that he has not yet met, but who is willing to commit (and within a week) to many weeks or months to train him to become a competent mariner (he'll do the mechanical work while you check the rigging and program electronics and teach him...and which one pulls the other up the mast??? I'm just asking....) and get the boat all ready--in exchange for free sailing. I wish the OP the best in finding such a person who is willing to devote so much time and energy and skill and experience and work to a stranger--for free. It would be a match made in heaven, but this is Planet Ocean. And you must hurry up too, as the self described perfectionist says he only has a week to go! So, you'd better drop everything and get to Georgia. And no running into dangerous situations or drugs. I hope the OP has a great adventure as it looks like that is almost guaranteed. It would be a match made in heaven, but this is not heaven nor is it Iowa, but it is Planet Ocean.

^^^^ LOL sooo funny. I was thinking the same when I read it but you just put the right words!
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 13:35   #6

Boat: Nauticat 43

What is the make of the ketch? How many berths are there?

Texas has a big coastline. What is the destination? Are you expecting to transit by ICW or offshore most of the way? Motoring the ICW is a different experience (with different types and magnitudes of risks) than offshore.

My understanding is you want to depart in one week. How long have you allowed to go from GA to TX? Do you have schedule constraints? How serious are these constraints?

You indicate you've never sailed. But, you don't indicate if you have experience on motor vessels. If you don't have any experience on boats, I recommend you pay a delivery captain and be crew on your own boat. However, under a scenario where you skipper, you might be able to find volunteer crew with the complementary expertise you need. This only works if you have some solid experience on boats (e.g. you know the rules of the road, how to dock and moor, how to plan for weather and tides and tidal currents, general principles of navigation and navigational aids, emergency preparedness, knots, etc.). Without experience, there is too much for you to learn in such a short time; you would face high risks if you skippered. In any case, a third person gives a lot of relief compared to doublehanding. It is possible you could find another volunteer crew member in short order who has good skills.
Old 15-05-2020, 15:15   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

How long have you budgeted for the passage from Georgia to where ever Texas? Hopefully a minimum of 3 weeks (good weather and no issues).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 08:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyxena View Post
Starting from the South Atlantic Coast traveling south down the Florida coast then through the keys, up and across the gulf coast back to Texas.
I'm always surprised by those who consider that the South Atlantic is north of Florida or anywhere other than the southern hemisphere.
Old 16-05-2020, 09:01   #9

Boat: Tartan 3000

Best to wait a few weeks or you may miss hurricane season
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm always surprised by those who consider that the South Atlantic is north of Florida or anywhere other than the southern hemisphere.

LOL it reminds me a pal telling me they were sailing “all the way south the Atlantic”, Antarctica? I assumed... no, the Caribbean!
Old 16-05-2020, 09:25   #11

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I think he's looking for a wife who can sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
^^^^ LOL sooo funny. I was thinking the same when I read it but you just put the right words!
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 09:54   #12

I think your best bet is to hire a professional skipper and look for one who is willing to teach you along the way. There may be people who are competent without certifications and licensing but how will you even know how to judge their knowledge and experience? If you value your safety and your boat I would bite the bullet and hire a professional to help you. Good luck!
Cordelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 10:02   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
LOL it reminds me a pal telling me they were sailing “all the way south the Atlantic”, Antarctica? I assumed... no, the Caribbean!
And a similar, those that say they are sailing to the Caribbean to visit the Bahamas which technically are in the North Atlantic. Strictly speaking the Caribbean is south of the Great Antilles between Central America and the Windard and Leeward Islands.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 10:03   #14

Boat: Former Privilege 48

Can't wait to hear the rest of this story. It has all the makings of a good sailing book.

There is a Georgia in the South Atlantic, but I am pretty sure the new sailor means the State of Georgia, USA .

The time constraint is interesting, perhaps he is acquiring a boat that the slip rent ends the end of the month. Perhaps the boat is hot!

Dealing with a new to you boat with a time constraint is a problem looking you in the face. And possibly dangerous.

I join in, in asking more details for the boat.

This should make a good story.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 10:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
And a similar, those that say they are sailing to the Caribbean to visit the Bahamas which technically are in the North Atlantic. Strictly speaking the Caribbean is south of the Great Antilles between Central America and the Windard and Leeward Islands.

Very correct indeed. I’m dumb because not long ago I realized the Bahamas belong to the North Atlantic and not the Caribbean as I thought for years......

Tags
sail, skipper