Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 13:36   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Hey skipper, wanna sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyxena View Post
First caveat: Not looking to hire a professional captain whose business is running vessels and is seeking his or her next paycheck.

The person I'm looking for is someone who wants to share an experience sailing a cool vessel that neither of us have been on and is looking forward to doing what is necessary to make the adventure a success.

You MUST be able to manage sails and navigate a 42' ketch from the South Atlantic coast, Georgia area, to Texas.

Looking for someone who has a solid understanding of the fundamentals, rigging, how to raise, reef, manage all sails and lines.

Someone who can help me get the vessel to Texas successfully and I'll learn while helping. I've never been on a sail boat, so a skipper who can communicate and operate it while teaching without killing us is what's needed. Not so concerned about credentials or having 'x' years of experience so much as the person being competent and knowing what they are doing to maintain a level of safety.

I get along with most people, those who are polite and reliable are most definitely preferred.
Myself, I'm a male in my mid 30's; now whether the skipper is male or female, younger or older than myself, I will maintain a friendly and professional attitude irregardless and would like the other person to as well.

Second caveat: Not interested in traveling with anyone who will cause a dangerous situation or who uses drugs.

Regarding the planning of the acquisition of this vessel and journey of this vessel, I typically like to do things the best way possible and be a perfectionist, but the time constraint is real and this may not be without unforeseen delays or surprises, but nothing that cannot be managed.
There will most certainly be some unknowns and things to solve, but I'm looking for someone who understands that and is willing to forge ahead with me.
What I really need is for someone to show up who can run a boat.. I'll cover the cost of your lodging until we verify the bilge functions, radio, nav equipment and other systems check out (it's all about 2008-2010 electronics) provision the boat and leave. I'll also cover all costs associated with the journey, including the persons travel back home. Again, not looking to simply hire a professional captain but rather someone interested in a spontaneous adventure. If you happen to also be a professional captain by all means, you are welcome also.

There may be future sailing opportunities in much more beautiful areas, provided we can get along for future trips.
This will probably depend on the other person as I'm easy to get along with and reliable. A certain trust between us will need to be established and we will need to be able to rely on each other. I've got a clean background and will expect the other person to also, don't want to be associated with anyone who has been in and out of jail, involved with drugs, or someone who thinks it will be fun to operate a boat without knowing how.

Hoping to get some assistance from someone who has some extra time and wants to meet a new friend with whom they can get to know a vessel with and make a fun and memorable experience. It's an opportunity to go sailing for without having to pay for expenses.

Boats is going to get new batteries when I get there, freshwater tank filled up, fuel tank filled with diesel, full systems and instrument check, provisioned with lots of drinking water and our food, plunk and go. If I cannot make local contacts to assist us during that time I'll simply rent a car or use local transport so that we can get to a Walmart, pick up some new deep cycle batteries, get maintenance items for the engine so that I know 100% the oil and filter is fresh, fuel/water separator has been replaced, that way we don't have engine problems while motorized or run into a problem with unknown batteries.
I have experience working as a mechanic and will do the work so that when we leave the engine is reliable and the maintenance is fresh. It will take approximately two days to do the maintenance, I figure I'll have to run back to a store for something that's how things go.
While I work on the mechanical you can figure out getting the electronics programmed, check the lines and rigging, then we will get the boat provisioned.
I am also good with electronics and would like to learn how to operate the navigational equipment.

Please contact me with some basic details about yourself and your experience if interested.

Third caveat: I'm here to make plans, here to be productive; please reply only if you have something positive to add or have interest in showing up and being the skipper on this vessel.

Thank you, hopefully I can find someone soon, I've got about a week to do so.
Just for $hits giggles, irregardless is redundant and not a word.
FYI and I'm not one to correct grammar.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 13:49   #62
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
I'm always surprised by those who consider that the South Atlantic is north of Florida or anywhere other than the southern hemisphere.

And I'm always surprised by those who don't understand the difference between the "South Atlantic Ocean and of the Atlantic South Coast of the US. Jes sayin... Really, is it that hard giving the OP a little slack?

Sad. I knew exactly what he meant.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 14:07   #63

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just for $hits giggles, irregardless is redundant and not a word.
FYI and I'm not one to correct grammar.
Correcting grammar is part of my job

irregardless
/ˌɪrɪˈɡɑːdləs/

adjective · adverbNON-STANDARD
regardless.
"the photographer always says, irregardless of how his subjects are feeling, ‘Smile!’"

You can have that one for free though

And if we were too remove all redundant words from literature it would become very boring.
Old 24-05-2020, 14:12   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Correcting grammar is part of my job

irregardless
/ˌɪrɪˈɡɑːdləs/

adjective · adverbNON-STANDARD
regardless.
"the photographer always says, irregardless of how his subjects are feeling, ‘Smile!’"

You can have that one for free though

And if we were too remove all redundant words from literature it would become very boring.
Quote:
Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.
It is a bit poncy to say "irregardless" when one means "regardless", though.

(And my job is to annoy people.)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 14:15   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Perhaps, but I like this post and the guy's attitude, and even if his diction bothered me, I wouldn't say so.

Though perhaps I am biased, as I was raised to speak "poncy" due to my family being UK upper-middle class. I enjoy how much it surprises people given the way I look.
Old 24-05-2020, 14:33   #66

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Glad to see folks that are still employed.

poncey
(pɒnsi ) also poncy
1. ADJECTIVE
If you say that someone is poncey, you mean you do not like them because you think they are too feminine.
[British, informal, rude, disapproval]
...a poncy male model.
2. ADJECTIVE
You can use poncey to describe things that are expensive and meant for a limited number of people.
[British, informal]
... poncey art-house films.

For high maka maka English professors, you both spelled (if not defined) the word wrong.
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 14:35   #67

[QUOTE=Kimo_Kai;3147381]Glad to see folks that are still employed.

poncey
(pɒnsi ) also poncy
1. ADJECTIVE
If you say that someone is poncey, you mean you do not like them because you think they are too feminine.
...a poncy male model.
2. ADJECTIVE
You can use poncey to describe things that are expensive and meant for a limited number of people.
[British, informal]

Drat I'm wrong. Too quick out of the gate. How do you delete these things?
Old 24-05-2020, 14:36   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
Glad to see folks that are still employed.

poncey
(pɒnsi ) also poncy
1. ADJECTIVE
...a poncy male model.
2. ADJECTIVE
[British, informal]

For high maka maka English professors, you both spelled (if not defined) the word wrong.
No, I did not, I quoted his misspelled word. You can have a cookie for noticing though

Edit - I see now that i left out the quotation marks on the second mention of it, I guess I thought it would have been overly aggressive. I do have spellcheck, I noticed the red line

And not professor, I'm a literary editor and writer, but people like you are why I avoid mentioning it. I like to chew the cud as much as everyone else does, without having my writing scrutinised and proofreading everything I write.

If you scroll back a bit you will see that the reason I initially commented was because I objected to grammar-naziing on this post.
Old 24-05-2020, 14:39   #69

Quote:
No, I did not, I quoted his misspelled word. You can have a cookie for noticing though

Jeez now even forum mates want to give cookies. I'm constantly clearing them.
Old 24-05-2020, 14:55   #70

Quote:

Edit - I see now that i left out the quotation marks on the second mention of it, I guess I thought it would have been overly aggressive. I do have spellcheck, I noticed the red line

And not professor, I'm a literary editor and writer, but people like you are why I avoid mentioning it. I like to chew the cud as much as everyone else does, without having my writing scrutinised and proofreading everything I write.

If you scroll back a bit you will see that the reason I initially commented was because I objected to grammar-naziing on this post.
I have not met any "people like" me so I assume they do not exist. However, if I am wrong, I feel sorry for them. I could not care less who writes what and how. Just chewing the cud for fun. I'm a big believer in redundancy.
Old 24-05-2020, 15:03   #71

Quote:
I have not met any "people like" me so I assume they do not exist. However, if I am wrong, I feel sorry for them. I could not care less who writes what and how. Just chewing the cud for fun. I'm a big believer in redundancy.
My apologies. I have respect for your self-depreciating come back after that. I guess my point is that you don't see people who actually work with grammar going around the internet correcting people, it's unnecessary and egotistical.
Old 24-05-2020, 15:34   #72

Quote:
My apologies. I have respect for your self-depreciating come back after that. I guess my point is that you don't see people who actually work with grammar going around the internet correcting people, it's unnecessary and egotistical.

Good save! Whew. You almost went back to 14 subscribers!

Seems like with your skill set that you should be able to earn a nice living whilst cruising your junk. (Is it OK to call it that?) Can't that sort of thing be handled online or do you need face time to get the better paying gigs?

One thing this current event has done is to drastically increase the acceptance of remote work options. Great strides have been made to facilitate same.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 24-05-2020, 16:00   #73

Quote:

Seems like with your skill set that you should be able to earn a nice living whilst cruising your junk. (Is it OK to call it that?) Can't that sort of thing be handled online or do you need face time to get the better paying gigs?

One thing this current event has done is to drastically increase the acceptance of remote work options. Great strides have been made to facilitate same.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Yea, sorry, the guy before had me a bit worked up.

Nah, "cruising my junk" is what I do when the gf isn't here
Unfortunately I haven't been working in writing for a few years now, and I'm struggling to get things going again, not much work out there and a lot of people looking for it. The average client doesn't care about good writing, and if they knew it when they saw it they wouldn't be paying someone else for it :P

So without good clients, it's hard to even make minimum wage online. I'm starting to put some effort into it again now, but I also want to move forward with the youtube thing, I have a unique ship and have learned a lot of skills over the years, so I am sure I can find some viewers.
Old 24-05-2020, 16:03   #74

Chartering and airbnb paid better, so I had no need for anything else.
Old 24-05-2020, 16:17   #75

Quote:

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Tbh, I didn't realise that it was you that subscribed, I just try to check myself and own up to it if I feel that I over reacted. Maturity and all that :P

Tags
sail, skipper