Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 12:27   #1
FEC

Herrington Harbor, MD to somewhere warmer south

Hello CF community, after many years of saving and looking, my wife and I finally purchased a boat in Deale, MD. She is currently docked at Herrington Harbor North. We are looking for a captain and or crew to help us move it from the Chesapeake to somewhere south where it's warmer and will not freeze nor snow. We were thinking of either Brunswick, GA or somewhere in South Carolina, near an airport preferably as we live in Los Angeles and still have some business to take care of before we do the long term cruising.

Now, we both jumped before looking, so to speak. We have taken the ASA101 and have crewed on some racing boats out here in Long Beach and Marina Del Rey but that is it. So we are looking for a person(s) who can teach us along the way on handling the boat and showing us how to use the many systems on board that we have no clue about and we'd rather do more sailing than motoring. We are not fat pocket people so we do not have a lot of means at the moment but we would be able to get you back home and feed you along the way and provide drinks of course

My wife and I are in our mid forties, we are very easy going and very eager to learn and we take direction very well. We like music, drinks and are generally laid back people. We would like to move the boat after Thanksgiving before it starts to get too cold and the water starts freezing. Once we get to warmer climate, we will continue our education but we just don't want to wait until March/April of next year to do it and have to winterize and store and blah blah blah. We'd rather spend that money on our boat rather than cold storage.

Now to the boat details; she is a 1997 Beneteau 50 and was prepared by the previous owner for an Atlantic crossing but in the end, his family wasn't on board so he was forced to sell it. She is a 3 cabin, 3 head model, has had her 75hp Perkins rebuilt, Northern Lights generator rebuilt, new standing rigging, 80% new running rigging all new sea cocks, pretty much a very extensive refit. Main and Genoa are in great condition. We just had her surveyed and apart from some missing waste and oil discharge stickers and out of date flares, she was given high marks. The only thing the previous owner did not have on board is a chart plotter. He was using his Ipad to navigate. She has a working radar attached to a display at the nav table but it's all dot matrix, very old electronics but they all function. She even has a bow thruster, auto pilot, wind, depth, speed indicators and compass at both helms and all batteries are about 1.5 years old.

If anyone is up for the adventure, please consider helping us new sailors out, we would greatly appreciate it

Thanks for the consideration and of course please ask all the question you may have and we will try to answer them quickly.
FEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 13:18   #2

Re: Herrington Harbor, MD to somewhere warmer south

Hello,

I may be able to assist as crew. I live in Maryland and hold a 50 Ton USCG Master License. I have been sailing for 30 years but don't have enough experience on large mono-hulls to captain confidently. Two concerns that you may have already considered. One - it is getting pretty late in the year to start a transit south due to regular gales. Two - if your mast is much more than 60 ft you may not be able to transit the Inter Coastal Waterway, at least not easily. That would put you on an outside passage around the Capes which can be a difficult and dangerous trip this time of year, especially on a boat that is new to you and to a captain. Getting from Deale to to the ICW at Norfolk, VA should be fairly easy if you wait for the right weather window. Do you have a diesel or other heater on the boat? PM me if interested, I have lots of time off around Thanksgiving.

Chris
CaptChris376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 16:31   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We are just across from you in shipwright marina. Waiting on a couple parts to come in this week, then heading south. Our plan involves the icw, so not much help to you. But if you want someone to chat with, send me a PM. We are both mid 40's as well and newly live aboard.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 17:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEC View Post
Hello CF community, after many years of saving and looking, my wife and I finally purchased a boat in Deale, MD. She is currently docked at Herrington Harbor North. We are looking for a captain and or crew to help us move it from the Chesapeake to somewhere south where it's warmer and will not freeze nor snow. We were thinking of either Brunswick, GA or somewhere in South Carolina, near an airport preferably as we live in Los Angeles and still have some business to take care of before we do the long term cruising.

Now, we both jumped before looking, so to speak. We have taken the ASA101 and have crewed on some racing boats out here in Long Beach and Marina Del Rey but that is it. So we are looking for a person(s) who can teach us along the way on handling the boat and showing us how to use the many systems on board that we have no clue about and we'd rather do more sailing than motoring. We are not fat pocket people so we do not have a lot of means at the moment but we would be able to get you back home and feed you along the way and provide drinks of course

My wife and I are in our mid forties, we are very easy going and very eager to learn and we take direction very well. We like music, drinks and are generally laid back people. We would like to move the boat after Thanksgiving before it starts to get too cold and the water starts freezing. Once we get to warmer climate, we will continue our education but we just don't want to wait until March/April of next year to do it and have to winterize and store and blah blah blah. We'd rather spend that money on our boat rather than cold storage.

Now to the boat details; she is a 1997 Beneteau 50 and was prepared by the previous owner for an Atlantic crossing but in the end, his family wasn't on board so he was forced to sell it. She is a 3 cabin, 3 head model, has had her 75hp Perkins rebuilt, Northern Lights generator rebuilt, new standing rigging, 80% new running rigging all new sea cocks, pretty much a very extensive refit. Main and Genoa are in great condition. We just had her surveyed and apart from some missing waste and oil discharge stickers and out of date flares, she was given high marks. The only thing the previous owner did not have on board is a chart plotter. He was using his Ipad to navigate. She has a working radar attached to a display at the nav table but it's all dot matrix, very old electronics but they all function. She even has a bow thruster, auto pilot, wind, depth, speed indicators and compass at both helms and all batteries are about 1.5 years old.

If anyone is up for the adventure, please consider helping us new sailors out, we would greatly appreciate it

Thanks for the consideration and of course please ask all the question you may have and we will try to answer them quickly.
You had better leave very soon- Its very long trip down the icw IN LATE FALL /WINTER. Brunswick is almost Florida I suggest a crew sailing down the Bay then motoring down to Beaufort to avoid Cape Hatteras this time of the year. Then wait for a good weather window to go offshore to Brunswick. (PS- you can always hire a crew)
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 18:39   #5
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChris376 View Post
Hello,

I may be able to assist as crew. I live in Maryland and hold a 50 Ton USCG Master License. I have been sailing for 30 years but don't have enough experience on large mono-hulls to captain confidently. Two concerns that you may have already considered. One - it is getting pretty late in the year to start a transit south due to regular gales. Two - if your mast is much more than 60 ft you may not be able to transit the Inter Coastal Waterway, at least not easily. That would put you on an outside passage around the Capes which can be a difficult and dangerous trip this time of year, especially on a boat that is new to you and to a captain. Getting from Deale to to the ICW at Norfolk, VA should be fairly easy if you wait for the right weather window. Do you have a diesel or other heater on the boat? PM me if interested, I have lots of

Chris

Hi Chris, i know its getting late in the season now which puts me in sort of a pickle. The mast is 63.5 feet tall which supposedly is just under the maximum. Im not at all familiar with weather patterns on the east coast so does Norfolk freeze or get snow? The boat has an Ocean Breeze reverse cycle heat/AC.
Old 17-11-2019, 18:44   #6
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
You had better leave very soon- Its very long trip down the icw IN LATE FALL /WINTER. Brunswick is almost Florida I suggest a crew sailing down the Bay then motoring down to Beaufort to avoid Cape Hatteras this time of the year. Then wait for a good weather window to go offshore to Brunswick. (PS- you can always hire a crew)

Yes, we must leave soon and maybe brunswick is too far for the first leg of this trip. I heard Beaufort is great and slip fees are only a couple hundred dollars a month off season but its pretty far from Raleigh. Is there an airport in Wilmington or Jackson?
Old 17-11-2019, 18:49   #7
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We are just across from you in shipwright marina. Waiting on a couple parts to come in this week, then heading south. Our plan involves the icw, so not much help to you. But if you want someone to chat with, send me a PM. We are both mid 40's as well and newly live aboard.

I really wish i could leave with you guys but im just not confident enough to negotiate this vessel by ourselves just yet in waters we have no experience in. i should have thought about all this but the excitement got the better of us. We should have waited to purchase after winter but...here i am again, all last minute. How deep is your keel btw?
Old 17-11-2019, 19:49   #8

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
I really wish i could leave with you guys but im just not confident enough to negotiate this vessel by ourselves just yet in waters we have no experience in. i should have thought about all this but the excitement got the better of us. We should have waited to purchase after winter but...here i am again, all last minute. How deep is your keel btw?
We are 4.5' deep and just over 63'air draft. 42 foot catamaran. We have a 40 ' cat probably joining us as we move south as well. Even if you only want to chat ahead of time, let me know. I'm heading over that way tomorrow to pick up some parts from Zimmerman's. Sleep well, should be a windy and rainy night.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 03:35   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
We are looking for a captain and or crew to help us move it from the Chesapeake to somewhere south where it's warmer and will not freeze nor snow. We were thinking of either Brunswick, GA or somewhere in South Carolina
I'm a delivery skipper. I may be more expensive than you are prepared to manage. I do owner aboard deliveries often that include training. I sign-off on insurance for a number of carriers.

It makes no sense to hire someone like me for the ICW. Offshore could work.

As you noted your air draft is 63.5' below the 65' fixed bridges on the ICW. You might want to go up the mast and flip the VHF antenna upside down in its bracket. Measure the light fixture and wind instrument and consider taking them off.

It's one day from HHN to Norfolk/Hampton/Portsmouth/Little Creek. I press up fuel and water in Little Creek at Cobb's Marina before heading offshore or down the ICW.

I would stage in Little Creek and go offshore from there right under a cold front, stay inside the Gulf Stream, and head for Charleston. From Brunswick, 225(ish) miles further south, your airport is a long way away in Jacksonville FL. Air travel in and out of Charleston is easier. No non-stops to LAX but lots of single changes.

It's already cold. You're going to need heat. I suggest long underwear and a couple of Mr. Heater Portable Buddy heaters.

Quote:
We would like to move the boat after Thanksgiving before it starts to get too cold and the water starts freezing. Once we get to warmer climate, we will continue our education but we just don't want to wait until March/April of next year to do it and have to winterize and store and blah blah blah. We'd rather spend that money on our boat rather than cold storage.
The boat has to be somewhere so marina fees are a wash. Winterization is relatively cheap. The bigger issue is finding someone to do it right. $500 maybe? Depends on just how many systems are on the boat. In-water storage is fine. For me to take the boat to Charleston would be between $3000 and $4000. You could wait for Spring, cruise the Chesapeake, and head South as soon as your insurance permits. You could even watch the weather and spend some time sailing on long weekends and holidays. You'll want those propane heaters. Cheap.

I'm happy to give advice. If you want a real bid for training and delivery you can write me at dave@AuspiciousWorks.com . You might solicit @Snore, also here on CF, and Karl Weber atthehelmdelivery@gmail.com. I'm probably best at training but will likely be most expensive. Oh - for me - you'll need a lot of paper and pens. I draw a lot of pictures when I talk, unless we're working off my supply of PowerPoint presentations. *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChris376 View Post
One - it is getting pretty late in the year to start a transit south due to regular gales. Two - if your mast is much more than 60 ft you may not be able to transit the Inter Coastal Waterway, at least not easily. That would put you on an outside passage around the Capes which can be a difficult and dangerous trip this time of year, especially on a boat that is new to you and to a captain. Getting from Deale to to the ICW at Norfolk, VA should be fairly easy if you wait for the right weather window.
It's never too late. The weather doesn't pop up. We know where it comes from and can plan accordingly. Really must have heat.

See above for the 65' ICW bridge height issue.

Rounding Diamond Shoals at Cape Hatteras gets a bad rap. It isn't really worse than most of the midatlantic coast. You have to watch the weather (gribs aren't weather - synoptic charts). I've been around Hatteras hundreds of times and turned back exactly twice. I've had to wait a day or two for acceptable conditions (the term "weather window" bugs me - personal issue - sorry).

From HHN to Hampton Roads is just a day. I've been cold and wet on the trip but absent a hurricane or Nor'easter weather should not stop you from heading down the Bay. These are inland waters. Beautiful and interesting but protected.

Now about provisioning.... *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 04:37   #10

Boat: Boatless

I do not work professionally as a skipper but I have a UK 200 ton licence and my wife and I sailed our 55 ft Tayana 40,000 nm including a Pacific crossing. I have sailed Miami to the Chesapeake and back several times the last being in May when I helped an inexperienced owner sail a boat from Ft Lauderdale to Long Island taking the boat outside Hatteras.

I am available from Thanksgiving until the 7th of December. I do not charge but expenses would be appreciated. The trip, if done outside, is very weather dependent and 10 days might not be sufficient to accomplish the trip. Paying a full time professional skipper is a more time reliable option.

Phil Kellett MD, I am a retired physician living in Miami.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 07:43   #11

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Dr. Kellett raises some good points. Thank you @s/v Moondancer.

You might find someone like him who has swallowed the anchor and has good experience. I infer from his post that he knows his limitations. That is a wonderful quality.

Someone doing deliveries on a regular basis (not all "delivery skippers" move many boats) should have a much broader experience base. The training you are interested in may be a factor also.

I think you definitely want heat.

I think your best bet might be to store the boat in the water at HHN and do some delivery crewing on the left coast this winter. In the Spring go cruising on the Chesapeake and then decide if you want help getting South. For Chesapeake cruising I would work your way down and then back up (see Bill Shellenberger's "Cruising the Chesapeake") before pushing off from Worton Creek, Rock Hall, Baltimore, or Annapolis and heading non-stop to Hampton Roads.

I would send Dr. Kellett a PM and schedule a phone call. Send me an email dave@auspiciousworks.com and schedule a phone call. I have time this afternoon and tomorrow.

If it seems like I'm trying to talk you out of a scenario in which you hire me it is because I am. If you want help with references for winterization at HHN I have a pocketful of those and can help you with details on the work order to make your life easy.

An alternative that occurs to me (marketing hat warning! *grin*) is to get help/guidance/training from HHN to Hampton Roads and you could head down the ICW on your own and can get to at least Morehead City in your timeframe. That would be a lot cheaper and you'd have phone support - I'm don't have any bookings between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Definitely cheaper than any sea schools. You could get from Morehead to Charleston between Christmas and New Years. I try not to miss holidays at home anymore so I'd be here for phone support also. Idea.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 10:25   #12

I've looked at some specs and wonder: is the boat 7.55' draft or not quite 6' ? The deeper is nearly a "no go" for ICW. BUT.. you might really consider hiring a good delivery crew and with routing advice to get you offshore and down to Charleston where it'll be warmer, interesting and fun.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 11:59   #13

I had same plan coming out of Annapolis, but delivery captain was not comfortable with the survey findings and our ability to get items addressed in his time window. So we settled on trucking our new to us Catalina 380 to Jacksonville. It is going on the truck today or tomorrow, then on the hard to get the needed items addressed. I am using Cove Point Marine Transport.

Like you, I don't have the experience to make that journey on my own for the first outing. Once I get it down to Jax, I will have resources to help gain the experience, starting with shorter offshore passages and ICW passages; Amelia Island, Brunswick, Savannah, working up to Charleston SC and points north next summer.

BTW, lots of cruisers have not headed to Bahamas this year, so the annual migration south is filling up many marinas and live aboard marinas are getting harder to find. If you have not locked in a marina, that could be another issue in how far south you can get.
burkede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 13:52   #14

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

These reply's have some good advice in them. The days are short now so you are going to be limited in far you can get. You have to have good heat. On the ICW, I sometimes sit on and wrap my legs in an electric blanket. Multiple layers of clothes and you still might have cold feet.
Check flights out of Jacksonville to the west coast. It is a good airport along with Charleston.
North Florida or south Georgia can be pretty chilly in the winter. How many trips east to you think you are going to make and do you think you are going sailing on every trip? If not, the idea of the Chesapeake this summer seems like a good idea to me. Once you get to Florida, the Bahamas or the Keys are probably going to be your destinations. The Chesapeake is a boaters paradise. I am in south Florida and I miss the Chesapeake.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 17:39   #15

Your reverse cycle heat will need a generator or shore power to run, do you have a a generator? Ice is not likely a problem until late December or January. As others have mentioned you can make the run to Norfolk pretty easily and then move down the ICW. There are two routes through the Carolinas, the most easterly of which will put you in open water for a longer duration that the west. I would recommend buying at least one or better two guides to the ICW and study them prior to departure. The sand bars shift regularly also so recent updates from vessels that have transited will help as well, wherever you can find them. Unless you have an experienced skipper on board an outside passage is ill advised this time of year unless your draft is prohibitive to the ICW. Fronts and /or lows tend to pass the outer banks every 3-5 days. An Ipad with Navionics is ok, it would be better to have a dedicated chartplotter onboard with the most up to date electronic charts you can get. A backup GPS is always a good idea also. Oh and paper charts if you can find them...

If you decide to wait until next year you could have a great time learning and sailing the Chesapeake.

If you decide to go this year, let me know I would be interested in helping you get to Norfolk if not further along. Just depends on timing and weather.

Cheers,
Chris
CaptChris376 is offline   Reply With Quote