Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 14:14   #1

Boat: Hanse 505 50'
Hawaii to Seattle - May - paid crew

Hi, I need experienced crew to help me deliver my 2015 Hanse 505 from Hawaii to Seattle early May.

I want to hire two experienced crew with documented ocean crossings under their belts (insurance requirement). I'm offering each crew member $100/day, plus flights, plus food. Open to either mix and match, or you could come as a set (spouse, etc).

I'm also looking for a 3rd who might not be quite as experienced, but should know basics of sailing, quick learner, have a good attitude, and be tough. Long passages can be hard physically and mentally, so must be confident of physical and mental toughness. To this person I'm offering flights plus food.

You:
Have done ocean crossings and can document it (insurance requirement). Have references. Friendly, easy going. Fit and healthy. Doesn't get sea-sick, or stays functional if you do. Knows how to trim a sail, stand a watch, move safely around the boat in poor conditions, use safety gear. Will pitch in with cooking and cleaning. Doesn't get (too) grumpy when tired, cold and wet. Bonus points for weather/routing, mechanical, and galley skills. No drug or alcohol dependencies. Not racist, sexist, or Trump supporter, or if you are, know how to hide it. Race and gender unimportant. You need to be American, or have a visa.

Me:
Male, 43 years old, very fit, have a passage from San Diego --> Hawaii under my belt, plus many shorter passages. Grew up on sailboats, as my father was a delivery skipper. Crewed professionally as a young man, mostly on deliveries between US east coast to west coast, via the Panama Canal. More recently have mostly been day-racing, coastal sailing, and chartering. I'm a low drama, get along with everyone type. Good mechanical aptitude, good sailing skills, weather/passage planning. I'm comfortable in heavy weather, and have studied storm tactics. Politically and socially liberal, so racist/sexist jokes not tolerated. However, I'm not preachy about it, get along with all types, and if you don't bring up politics, I won't.

The Boat:
Hanse 505 50' sloop, in very good condition, very well equipped and up-to-date safety equipment. Life raft, sat-epirb, high quality PFD/Harness for each crew, personal AIS on each PFD, jacklines, magnificent 1st aid kit, etc. Boat was just delivered 4000nm from New Caledonia to Hawaii by a delivery crew. Currently in Hawaii getting a mini-refit including brand new sails and rig. Has creature comforts too, including water-maker, lots of refrigeration, and solar. Should be a comfortable and roomy home with only 4 of us on board.

The Plan:
I'm going to Hawaii mid-April to begin preparing the boat for passage. Crew would join me early May, and we would spend some time preparing boat, provisioning, and going on a couple of practice day-sails to assess skills, and compatibility. Will practice man-overboard drills, deploying drogue, heaving-to, etc. When boat and crew are ready, will look for a favorable weather window to depart. This will be a drug and alcohol free boat while at sea. We will head N to clear the high, and then turn E as soon as we can get over the high. From there we will hopefully reach and run all the way to Seattle. As we approach the coast, we may heave-to to wait for good weather as we approach the coast. We will not go barreling in regardless of weather, and give away sea room in bad weather. My life, my boat, and the lives of the crew depend on my good decision making, and I take the responsibility seriously.

Please feel free to PM me, and if you have questions that you think can benefit all, go ahead and ask right in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9AF56421-D45E-4849-AB09-598CFDB45F75_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	209958   Click image for larger version

Name:	35CEFF10-9ED3-4462-B1E3-DCD3F8B2ADC9_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	209959  

ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:51   #2

Re: Hawaii to Seattle - May - paid crew

I’m available to help you cross to Seattle. I have a sailboat in Port Ludlow, across the pond from dt. I have crossed to Hawaii from San Francisco (last year) and have sailed around the Japanese islands the year before. I am confident and capable.

Are you paying $100 even dockside for all the preps?

Best?

Blake

Here are some instagrams to check out to find out a little about me:

www.instagram.com/sailingmorningflight
www.instagram.com/blakebyersart
3yers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:14   #3

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yers View Post
I’m available to help you cross to Seattle. I have a sailboat in Port Ludlow, across the pond from dt. I have crossed to Hawaii from San Francisco (last year) and have sailed around the Japanese islands the year before. I am confident and capable.

Are you paying $100 even dockside for all the preps?

Best?

Blake

Here are some instagrams to check out to find out a little about me:

www.instagram.com/sailingmorningflight
www.instagram.com/blakebyersart
Thanks for your interest. I'm going to wait a few days then look over all the interested parties, and then I'll reach out to those who I think are a good fit. To answer your specific question, yes, I'll pay for days on shore preparing the boat too.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:39   #4

Okay sounds good. Thank you.
3yers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 19:18   #5

"You:
Have done ocean crossings and can document it (insurance requirement). Have references. Friendly, easy going. Fit and healthy. Doesn't get sea-sick, or stays functional if you do. Knows how to trim a sail, stand a watch, move safely around the boat in poor conditions, use safety gear. Will pitch in with cooking and cleaning. Doesn't get (too) grumpy when tired, cold and wet. Bonus points for weather/routing, mechanical, and galley skills. No drug or alcohol dependencies. Not racist, sexist, or Trump supporter, or if you are, know how to hide it. Race and gender unimportant. You need to be American, or have a visa. "

Me: Longest ocean crossing was Florida to the Florida Keys. References might be tricky but I know some guys at the pub. Not fit, reasonably healthy. I get wildly, wildly seasick. I do not stay functional when seasick. I can trim the **** out of a sail, stand watch and move safely in poor conditions. Can pitch in with cooking/cleaning but they will be simple meals. Get grumpy when tired/cold/wet but not *too* grumpy. No extra weather/mechanical/galley skills. Possibly alcohol dependent, but no DT's. Plan on an extra case of rum. Not overtly racist or sexist.
jakeschn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 20:05   #6

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
pirate Re: Hawaii to Seattle - May - paid crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeschn View Post
"You:
Have done ocean crossings and can document it (insurance requirement). Have references. Friendly, easy going. Fit and healthy. Doesn't get sea-sick, or stays functional if you do. Knows how to trim a sail, stand a watch, move safely around the boat in poor conditions, use safety gear. Will pitch in with cooking and cleaning. Doesn't get (too) grumpy when tired, cold and wet. Bonus points for weather/routing, mechanical, and galley skills. No drug or alcohol dependencies. Not racist, sexist, or Trump supporter, or if you are, know how to hide it. Race and gender unimportant. You need to be American, or have a visa. "

Me: Longest ocean crossing was Florida to the Florida Keys. References might be tricky but I know some guys at the pub. Not fit, reasonably healthy. I get wildly, wildly seasick. I do not stay functional when seasick. I can trim the **** out of a sail, stand watch and move safely in poor conditions. Can pitch in with cooking/cleaning but they will be simple meals. Get grumpy when tired/cold/wet but not *too* grumpy. No extra weather/mechanical/galley skills. Possibly alcohol dependent, but no DT's. Plan on an extra case of rum. Not overtly racist or sexist.
Yeah I'm out - I need a rum or bourbon, usually by about 4pm. Sundown at latest :-)
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 20:32   #7

Interested, PM sent!
db747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:40   #8

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I

I am interested in your offer and would like to email you my resume.
Briefly:
USN veteran
Big Island to Port Townsend
Several power and sailboat deliveries up and down US West Coast (WN to San Diego)
BajaHaHa
Mazatlan to Marina Del Rey
References provided

Ron Harben
ronharben@yahoo.com
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:47   #9

I am interested in the non-paid position. Please send me your email address and I will email you a letter of interest.
DeerWood9323@Yahoo.com
(307) 761-1814
Sailingsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:22   #10

Boat: Hanse 385

Hi

I'm going to be unemployed from April and I'm looking for new challenges. I just moved back to Canada in August 2019 from Denmark and I have my sailing license which authorised me to sail up to a 15m sailing boat. I have no crossing experience but I have some.

I'm absolutely not Sea sick and I'm a good cook !

If you still have opening, I might be very interested by your offer.

/Marc
MarcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:17   #11

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

Please. PM your details. Posting your email address and god forbid your phone number is leaving yourself open to every Nigerian Prince and scammer around.
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:37   #12

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_char View Post
Please. PM your details. Posting your email address and god forbid your phone number is leaving yourself open to every Nigerian Prince and scammer around.
^^ smells like racial profiling, as an African I should probably be offended[emoji6] (I'm not!)
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:25   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Ctmlupi RYA

Hallo Ohthetrees,

I'am very interested on your plan.

I'm from Roma, Italy. My ocean experience is only a passage Wilmington (NC) to Charleston (SC) in 2013, but I have a good experience in the mediterranean sea around Italy, France and Greece since I was a kid.

I've Yachtmaster certification by the british RYA (Royal Yachting Association) and I really would like to join you and the crew you're building.

I was been very impressed about your plan, I mean to dedicate some days to try safety procedures and have some time to know each others.

I'm 48 y.o., I was in the Army for a few - lieutenant - and I always had good reaction to bad or demanding situations. I'm a quite good cooker (some italian recipes). I know how to do passage planning and about weather. Nothing special about mechanical. I have not drug or alcohol dependencies and I'm not racist, sexist, or Trump supporter. I'm not American but I had and I'll can have a visa.

Pls forgive my bad english grammar, I hope you understood everything on my answer to your post and I really hope you will consider my application.

Best regards

Ernesto Giancotti
Ctmlupi RYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:16   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 37

I did this exact delivery 2 years ago - Kawaii to Port Townsend, as part of a two man shorthanded crew. I would love to do it again. Sending you a PM.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24   #15

Boat: Mumby 48

" I'm a low drama, get along with everyone type."
"...no Trump supporters..."

I see your point!
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, hawaii, seattle