Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2022, 08:41   #1

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch
pirate Florida - Azores - Europe May 22

Ahoj Ahoj,

Departing Florida in late May (when the weather is stable over the Atlantic).
4 weeks to Azores.
2 weeks in Azores.
2 weeks to Brest.
2 weeks to Baltic.

I am looking for 3-4 able crew people. Experience is nice, but not required. Attitude and energy are more important than hard technical skills. Of course, if you have sailing experience or other critical skills, you get bonus points. Folks without experience please still apply, and please be a truly attentive student and a fast learner.

I have a passage coming up soon, and I have 1/2 spots for novice/rookie sailors and 2/3 spots for those with experience or other skills (diving, mechanical, organizational, medical, rigging)I am an excellent and patient trainer, coach, and instructor. I am a bit meticulous on safety procedures and other operational things that keep people on board and alive But I am very relaxed and patient with folks as they learn new things.
Here are some points to consider:
The passage:
Departing Florida in the US in May. Sailing past Bermuda to the Azores. We will take the traditional ocean route and be about 4 weeks at sea. If you have not experienced the big, open ocean, be prepared to be amazed! We are not in a hurry and will seek calm weather and seas.
In the Azores, we will hold over for 2 weeks. We will rest and refit and get the boat ready for the crossing to Europe. We will also explore the islands. The Azores are incredible: green, clean, and so friendly. I have friends there waiting to take myself and crew around the island. There are a lot of trails and places to explore. We will also paint a rock to commemorate the passage.
Heading for Europe: When we are ready to make way for Europe, we will take a course to Brest in France. They have great oysters for those who are in to such treats. It is also a good crew change spot. From there, we make way for the Keil Canal and will take that in to the Baltic. I will keep the boat in the Baltic for the rest of the summer. I will spend part of the summer on board, and part of the summer traveling in Sweden and other areas in my RV - I have a small rv in Sweden and will spend a few weeks hiking, camping and hanging out at my favorite swedish lakes.

The vessel: There is a lot of information already posted about the boat, so I will be brief. She is a seakindly, well equipped CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch rigged boat. She is sound, safe, and heavy. We have wind and solar power, a water maker for plenty of hot showers, electric winch, and up to date electronics. Inside she has a nice, large galley and food storage. All the under water, through hull fittings have been replaced and resealed, so she is nice and seaworthy. New rigging, new electronics, etc, etc.
Accomodations: She has a forward V berth with ensuite shower and head. Single female crew and / or a couple crewing together get priority assignment to the V Berth. The Captain's cabin is in the aft. There are two good "underway" bunks in the pilothouse section and one in the aft cabin.
Crew: Ideally we have a crew of 4/5 people counting myself, so people will be getting on and off the boat in differen spots along the way as we stop.
About me: I am an experienced sailor and have already sailed across the Atlantic from St Martin to the Azores. I travel a lot on sea and land, in the US, and especially in Scandinavia and Europe I am generally cool and calm under pressure and not easily ruffled. I do get pretty intense when action is afoot and things need to get done, and I have a loud, "command voice" thanks to Army training . I am well trained in all things mechanical, safety, first aid, etc. For fun, I enjoy good food and good music, singing karaoke, exploring local scenes, and hanging out in nature. ****To avoid confusion, I want to specify that I am a straight, single guy, and I am not looking for a mate, date or romantic situation. Cute ladies, please do not be offended, but I am a cold professional when it comes to sailing, crew and many other aspects of life. Gender, orientation, faith, race, appearance, ideology, etc do not matter to me. I am an old timey, traditional, non-political type of guy who does not watch the news or television at all.

For inexperienced crew prospects, having the right attitude and energy is more important than skill and experience. If you can pick up things and learn as you go, there will be at least one, if not 2-3, experienced sailors on board to show you the ropes. You would perform your share of crew duties limited by your lack of experience. For example, when you start, you cannot stand watch alone. You would share a watch with other crew to gain experience. As you demonstrate proficiency, then you would gain other regular crew duties. As you continue, you will have a chance to celestial navigation, chart reading, weather planning, course planning, and of course, "how to sail".

For experienced crew prospects, we run this boat in typical fashion. Rule #1 is "stay on Board" I believe in participative type group dynamics for the best solutions and outcomes. Bring your skills and contribute to a fun adventure. We do a rotating watch schedule and rotating galley duty.

Please consider and let me know what you think. If you are interested, then lets talk. We do not have a lot of time, but there is enough time for planning and preparing.

Details:
Vessel is 44 foot, pilothouse Ketch.
Solar, wind, water maker, bow thruster, windvane, autopilot, electric winch, electric windlass, lots of fresh water, lots of diesel. Brand new, 6 pax liferaft, IPIRB, SSB, VHF, InReach, Sat Phone, new house batteries. All through hulls are new. All transducers and through hulls are new. Chart plotter is new.
She is rated one of the most seafriendly boats of all time by some who do such ratings. My personal experience, sailing in 8-10 foot seas and 20-27 knots of wind, is that she rides like a cadillac... a cadillac that occasionally runs over a big curb k but she is smooth and steady.
She is coast guard documented, recently surveyed, fully insured.

Safety: Top priority. I am professionally trained in risk assessment, risk analysis, and risk mitigation, and I take it 100% seriously. All safety stuff is up to date. I am very safety aware and meticulous with safety equipment and PPE. I have life vests, harnesses, and tethers on board for new crew to borrow until they buy their own.

Vice:
No smoking on board - if you are French, maybe we can make a consideration.
No alcohol while underway. (The exception is to the occasional champagne toast to commemorate a birthday or other type event). The anchor light is the drinking light.
No illegal items of any kind. Even if weed is legal in your state or area, it is still 100% illegal underway.

Money and cost:
This is a pleasure cruise. Captain pays boat operational expenses. Crew pay for their share of groceries and their personal expenses.

Time is short. If interested and available, please reach out and lets talk.
It is best to reply by PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4645B474-90D3-438B-BECC-8C8EE252A740.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	256494   Click image for larger version

Name:	61CFBED0-B74A-43F8-BBC1-62726733C3D8.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	256495  

Name:	2B211FC9-7076-4890-B4A2-F46369F39C07.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	256496   Click image for larger version

Name:	03050796-1550-4902-80A5-C414C74FD4A6.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	256497  

Name:	490AA6EA-90F6-47E1-A389-E1195B37FFFC.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	256498  
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 10:41   #2

Re: Florida - Azores - Europe May 22

All that text and I forgot these key details ..
for your planning purposes, here are aproximate time frames for different legs. Crew can join for a leg or more.
Three main lags:
Florida to Azores. 4 weeks at sea, need crew for 5 weeks minimum. Middle of May to end of June.
Azores to Europe. 2 weeks. Crew can embark in Azores and disembark at several places in Europe.
Keil Canal to an as yet to be determined port in Sweden. 2 weeks or so
Old 24-04-2022, 23:21   #3

Unfortunately timing does not fit. I could join in Oct. Are you planing a trip back from Europe?
hth3bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 10:33   #4

I'm very interested in this trip, I've always wanted to sail across the Atlantic and in the process I'll be able to see Europe, I'm more than willing to learn and it would mean alot to me if you would give me this opportunity. It would allow me to kill two birds with one stone and I'm available.
Jackwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 11:46   #5

I have a lucky gene~ I make my own luck & found your post.
This solo traveler with a love of boats, bridges & buildings available to depart Sarasota, FL in May for your itinerary.
Skills~
Several boating experiences 5-20 days at sea. Never to the destinations you are going. That’s the draw for me (& the front berth- even in rough seas. At 5’2 and 105 lbs I like that little cuddy hole.)
Unique experience~
1) Passenger- 18 day Expedition from Ushuaia across the Drake shake aboard 100’ Russian icebreaker. Rough Seas = ear to ear smiles & never seasick.
2) 5-day sail from Panama to Cartegena on 32’ sailboat. Night watch assignment w/buddy.
3) Past dive shop owner & dive trip
Organizer for live-a-aboard diving in Channel Islands, CA.
4) Womens sailing race team member (many life times ago). Team player.
5) I live in FL.
6) Highly experienced at international traveling- once packed 1 backpack for 30 days & stayed adventuring for 2 years thru 24 countries.
(Passive investments=flexible lifestyle)
My first life I was a middle school teacher in CA. I get along with any personality.
7) Organized minimalist by nature. I keep all things stowed.

Your itinerary is where I want to travel next- ideal is going by sea.
Look forward to your reply for further information.
Sunfish2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 11:50   #6

I forgot- I’m available for your entire itinerary yet flexible enough to change up as needed.
Sunfish2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 12:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth3bh View Post
Unfortunately timing does not fit. I could join in Oct. Are you planing a trip back from Europe?
Hi. Good question. I will sail from Sweden along the classic route to the Carib, but not for a year or so. Like August 2023 at the earliest.
Old 25-04-2022, 12:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish2.0 View Post
I forgot- I’m available for your entire itinerary yet flexible enough to change up as needed.
Hi. I sent a pm to you Sunfish.
Old 25-04-2022, 12:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwarren View Post
I'm very interested in this trip, I've always wanted to sail across the Atlantic and in the process I'll be able to see Europe, I'm more than willing to learn and it would mean alot to me if you would give me this opportunity. It would allow me to kill two birds with one stone and I'm available.
I sent a PM.
Old 25-04-2022, 13:14   #10

Additional coordinating information

Jump on / Jump off points:
Florida, east coast.
Bermuda (not planning to stop there, but if needed to pick up crew, we will)
Azores. Horta.
Brest.
Start/ End of Kiel Canal.
Göteberg or Stockholm Sweden.
Old 28-04-2022, 08:50   #11

For some reason, I cannot edit the main post here.
I want to clarify that prospective crew do not need to be in for the whole trip. Pick a leg that fits your schedule.
Florida to Azores requires 5 weeks time.
The other legs are 2-3 week commitments.
Get in where ya fit in, as they say.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:58   #12

Hello,
I have been a diesel truck mechanic for the past 25 yrs. I've been out on a few day sails and have loved it. I can tie a bowline and I can cleat a line. Its a start I am interested in crewing for you. Please contact me if you are interested.
VagabondSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:24   #13

Crew search Update:

Rookie / Novice spots are filled.
The search continues with priority as follows:
Top priority is for a sailor with some experience at sea - 'not your first rodeo' kind of thing. Hell, you can even snore

Female sailor with some ocean experience. (OMG, lets not have that "gender" discussion on this thread please ). As Captain, I am not concerned with crew gender, or any of those other things, race, religion, etc, etc. I am not looking for a date, a mate, or anything along those lines. However, I am making an effort to manage bunk assignments. There is a single, female joining the crew. I would like to bunk her in the V Berth. I believe it would be convenient if there were two females sharing that bunk space.

Sailing couple where one of the partners has some sailing experience: My reasons for this are the same as above, except, I would boot the rookie, single female out of the V berth, and bunk the couple in the V.

Sailing guy with some experience. Not for the V berth, sorry, but I have a comfy underway bunk for you.

As an added option, There is room for one "intern" type crew member. The intern can have zero sailing experience and will fill the role of "deck hand", "step and fetcher", "mast monkey", 'hold my beer' assistant. This is a "paid" position, meaning that I will cover the intern's cost of living, groceries and all of that, and help with travel to and from expenses.... I better make a separate post for this one, but please spread the word if you have a good candidate in mind. EOE, open to adults over 18, passport required, etc. interested applicants please send me a PM to get started. Should be available from 25 May to 7 July at a minimum. Ideally available 25 May to 15 August.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:22   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JackW, and Sunfish.
Belated greetings to Vagabond.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:25   #15

Boat: 30 ft sailboat

Hello Capt
I would be available and interested. Please send me contact info and I would be happy to call and find out more.

Thank you
Tony
twoodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, Europe, florida, rope