Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 17:15   #1
Freelance Sailboat Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FLL to STT on Bali 45 leaving next window

Position for 1 experienced crew and 1 amateur on Bali 45 to USVI at next weather window. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND if you do not meet these qualifications, MUST HAVE/BE: non-smoker, healthy and fit, sailing experience on small vessels, pass background check, able to stand solo night watches, not a douchebag, in South/Central Florida or the VI. NO ROCKSTAR EGOMANIACS. Food and travel covered. Pay DOE, but you'll not get rich, regardless of experience. 7 to 9 day passage. Do not expect a response if you haven't read/meet the conditions above. Send cover letter and CV to brian@captainchambers.com. No response will be given to DMs or comments to this post. If you can't follow these instructions, then you won't make it offshore. Cheers.
BVIbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 17:22   #2

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: FLL to STT on Bali 45 leaving next window

So, is there really someone out there that thinks they meet all of your criteria but know they’re a douchebag?
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 17:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Evidently not you. Thanks for the positive response, and for keeping this forum a place where we can all find employment, experience, and support.
Old 24-10-2020, 04:58   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Positions have been filled. Thank you for the many responses!
Old 24-10-2020, 08:58   #5

Boat: O'Day 35

Almost guaranteed that the boat owner is a douchebag.
rfkneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 09:05   #6

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay

Not someone I'd like to sail with. Arrogant. Probably why he's solo.
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 09:51   #7

Boat: Leopard 45

Filled it that fast huh? Good luck crew! Be afraid, Be very be afraid.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 10:19   #8

I would not wish to sail with him either. And the best of luck to whoever does.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 10:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Why is everyone so merciless? It seems to me the OP was trying to save lots of time, not just for him, but for others, so he set the criteria quite clearly. Reasonable criteria, too. He also asked not to clutter up the thread with random answers, but gave a clear email address to use. Then he got a pointless answer, replied to it, and the piling on started. Including personal comments and warnings based on very little. As someone who had helped on deliveries, and also had crew come with me, and who sails professionally, I thought his approach was very fair and business like, and I don't understand why it was so upsetting. Since the trip is to the BVI, has it occurred to anyone that this might be a "commercial" delivery with a firm schedule, rather than a pleasure trip?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 10:50   #10

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Why is everyone so merciless? It seems to me the OP was trying to save lots of time, not just for him, but for others, so he set the criteria quite clearly. Reasonable criteria, too. He also asked not to clutter up the thread with random answers, but gave a clear email address to use. Then he got a pointless answer, replied to it, and the piling on started. Including personal comments and warnings based on very little. As someone who had helped on deliveries, and also had crew come with me, and who sails professionally, I thought his approach was very fair and business like, and I don't understand why it was so upsetting. Since the trip is to the BVI, has it occurred to anyone that this might be a "commercial" delivery with a firm schedule, rather than a pleasure trip?
You raise a good point re: possible commercial delivery; however, if that was the case full and complete disclosure was definitely lacking. It's not so much that the specific criteria were set out but rather the 'tone' of the posting that I found offensive. I have always found that 'crew' responds much better to respectful dialogue than dictatorial Captain Bligh barking. Just my take (with a lot of blue water under my keel and upt to 12 crew when racing).
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 11:02   #11

Boat: Sabre 34II

I don’t see anything wrong with his OP, he just seems like a straightforward person demanding specific requirements in his crew.

Also, I believe a douchebag knows that he is one
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 11:16   #12

LOL, why the pile on?
Ha, have you not been on this forum?
I was informed by a moderator as I was being castigated for being accurate about certain members that opinions are welcome, even in the classifieds section. See a product that you dont like for sale, hell yeah, rubbish the product and the price. Good for the newbies Iam told.
So yeah, dont like this guy or his boat, or the owner whom you have never met....of course the know all, be all of all knowledge will spew their opinions.........good for the newbies!!!!
Tooo funny.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 11:26   #13

Boat: Pearson 424

I thought the rest of his post was fine it just seemed like an odd “requirement” to list. I would think that through his interview process he would be able to weed out those people he felt were “douchebags” or that he’d have personality conflicts with, no need to put that in the post. He actually addressed my point, I thought that the douchebag comment gave an unnecessarily negative aspect to his post.
Glad to hear he filled the positions, I’m sure it’ll be a fun trip.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 11:31   #14

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
So, is there really someone out there that thinks they meet all of your criteria but know they’re a douchebag?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIbrian View Post
Evidently not you. Thanks for the positive response, and for keeping this forum a place where we can all find employment, experience, and support.
BVIbrian, I'd guess that a lack of humor in your response to Spindrift is what prompted some of the negative comments that followed. I thought it worth a chuckle, not a sarcastic retort.
Old 24-10-2020, 15:33   #15

Seems like BVIbrian has problems with either the use of the English language and/or just common good manners.

It is sometimes observed that some, not all, reasonably rational considered folk suddenly become Captain Bligh's when at sea; authoritative and demanding. Does not look good if one already starts from a position of clumsy authoritarianism.

I think crew admire competence and good interpersonal skills as the basis for a successful pleasant cruise - a race around the buoys or a circumnavigation.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind