Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2020, 16:17   #16
Freelance Sailboat Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: FLL to STT on Bali 45 leaving next window

The boat owner is a great guy. I'm the Captain he selected (out of many applicants) to safely reposition his very expensive boat. There's no place onboard 400 miles offshore for anyone that gets so angry about a position they're not qualified to fill, that they feel the need to spew insults and froth in a public forum. Hence, no douchebags or baguettes or egomaniacs or rockstsrs, please. If I go over, I want a decent, conscientious soul with a moral compass that will turn the boat around and fo their best to find me. The most amazing part? I found well-qualified crew on this forum that had no problem with the verbage of my ad.
BVIbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 16:41   #17

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Paton-Gay View Post
You raise a good point re: possible commercial delivery; however, if that was the case full and complete disclosure was definitely lacking. It's not so much that the specific criteria were set out but rather the 'tone' of the posting that I found offensive. I have always found that 'crew' responds much better to respectful dialogue than dictatorial Captain Bligh barking. Just my take (with a lot of blue water under my keel and upt to 12 crew when racing).
I guess I missed something it sounded like there was room for only 1 douchebag.
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 16:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVIbrian View Post
The boat owner is a great guy. I'm the Captain he selected (out of many applicants) to safely reposition his very expensive boat. There's no place onboard 400 miles offshore for anyone that gets so angry about a position they're not qualified to fill, that they feel the need to spew insults and froth in a public forum. Hence, no douchebags or baguettes or egomaniacs or rockstsrs, please. If I go over, I want a decent, conscientious soul with a moral compass that will turn the boat around and fo their best to find me. The most amazing part? I found well-qualified crew on this forum that had no problem with the verbage of my ad.

Well done! I am not surprised, in the least. It's my experience that those who are really qualified, behaviourly as well as with regard to skill, have no problem when that is stated as a requirement, and are happy that it is expected of all. Those who are not can be reliably counted upon to get wound up in some nonsense.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 19:11   #19

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

This. ^^^^^^^^^^
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 23:23   #20

As a delivery Captain, I agree with contrail.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 23:37   #21

Boat: Seawind

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Paton-Gay View Post
You raise a good point re: possible commercial delivery; however, if that was the case full and complete disclosure was definitely lacking. It's not so much that the specific criteria were set out but rather the 'tone' of the posting that I found offensive. I have always found that 'crew' responds much better to respectful dialogue than dictatorial Captain Bligh barking. Just my take (with a lot of blue water under my keel and upt to 12 crew when racing).
I had to keep from laughing. What if the rock star had his own head set for those grueling night watch solo positions while bligh was sipping his rum. Hahahaha
Capt. Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 02:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
Filled it that fast huh? Good luck crew! Be afraid, Be very be afraid.
+1

Right on, Jim King!

Wonder why he posted at all?
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:30   #23

Boat: 2005 Precision 23

Maybe three decades in the Army has numbed me to the "direct approach" more than most, but I really don't see any issue with the post.

1. Based on "departing next weather window" the CPT is in at least 'a bit' of a time crunch so doesn't want to spend a lot of time culling out anyone looking for a booze cruise.

2. It's a 1000nm(ish) trip planned for 7-9 days, which is manageable, but it's not going to be a site seeing trip.

3. Possibly most important.... Seems this is a paid gig ("Pay at DOE [Day of Embarkation] but you won't get rich").

Between pay and the 1000nm in a week, seems to me this is clearly a delivery not a pleasure trip.

So.... why all the hate?
Mike
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind