Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 05:18   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
Fair share of costs?

I am looking at dipping my toes into the crew available market. When a skipper asks to share costs, is there a reasonable daily number? I am trying to acquire experience / underway days. I totally expect to pay any personal in-port expenses and transport for myself,and even pitch in for food while underway, but what about other boat operating expenses?
AnnOMalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Fair share of costs?

Some earlier discussions:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pay-71819.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rk-176869.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:41   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

What you are expected to pay as crew is entirely the result of the deal you strike with the skipper. The deal will be dependent on all manner of variables including, type of vessel, vessel running costs, number of crew, location and length of trip. Also whether it is just a delivery trip, pleasure trip, or an expedition. And of course whether the crew are real crew or passengers.

Vessel ownership might factor too. For example there are charities usually offer flexibility as they may have sponsors.

Perhaps you might elaborate with the type, length and location of ‘dipping’ and your vessel preference. Do you mean rail bait for round the cans on Sunday afternoons or as crew on a Greenpeace vessel to the Southern Ocean?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:20   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40.3 Sun Odyssey - Devante's Dream

Ann,

From my experience as a skipper looking for crew (of which I have acquired some on this message board) the crew pay their own airfare and shore-side meals. I cover provisions and all boat expenses for ocean passages, otherwise the trip becomes a charter and subject to different laws, depending on your country. Generally ANY payment to a boat constitutes a charter so I steer clear of that.

Now if you start talking about cruising around islands vs an ocean passage it might be more fair to expect the crew to purchase food, but not from the skipper, from the food store.

~eric
elangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:30   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Hi Ann

My wife and I sail often in the Caribbean, Islands, Bahama's and Florida. We most always try to add at least a third crew member as it helps with docking and other tasks on the boat. I usually cover all boat expenses as I am going sailing anyway. I cover on board food unless you want something specific for yourself. I don't cover your airfare to and from, or your on shore expenses or any alcohol you might want. If you have done a good job, worked hard, helped with cleaning the boat and laundry on return, cooking, and sailing, I would probably take you out to dinner on shore at the end.

I want crew who can help sail. If your looking for a vacation and expected to be waited on and lay around in the sun, than I will look for someone else. If this sounds like something of interest get in touch as I am doing at least another 6 or 7 sailing trips this year. Got crew for the next one, but am going many more times this year.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote