Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 07:17   #31

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch
Re: Extra hand for 30-foot boat headed south from Annapolis in a couple of weeks

Florida Youth Maritime Training can help at no charge. We can provide 1 or 2 crew with a 1600 Ton captain to help. But the timing would need to change to after the holidays.
Bob
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:05   #32

Re: Extra hand for 30-foot boat headed south from Annapolis in a couple of weeks

I'd think about some cockpit heat. I am comfortable working outside in a sweatshirt and hat down to about 40 degrees, but if I am not moving around a lot (like in a cockpit) it can get cold fast even with a parka and hat.
The Big Buddy heater is a good portable heater and not expensive, plus it is radiant, so it will work in a semi open cockpit. But it takes 1 lb propane canisters and they don't last long. Strap a standard 20 lb tank to your back deck (keep it upright - exchangeable at many marinas) and get an adapter hose to feed the Buddy heater. If the heater is tipped over it shuts off. Its quite safe.

A little heat can go a long ways to making things more comfortable.

Use spray soap to check the hose for leaks and turn off the valve at the tank when you aren't using it.

Total cost about $150 plus the tank. At full heat (18K btus you will get at least 20 hours out of it with a 20 lb tank. At low heat (4K btus), you can get at least 90 hours out of a 20lb tank.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 14:46   #33

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
I learned to leave the boat near Enterprise locations and rented cars to get home.
This has changed with COVID. Enterprise no longer picks you up and one-way rentals come with expensive restrictions.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 17:33   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Good Luck with your adventure, If I had the time right now I would help. Last year about this time I sailed a Lyman-Morse 48 from Milford Ct to Norfolk, 15 degrees going down the East River of NYC with Ice on the deck. Your tough, layer up and you will be fine. A ski Mask, the kind that cover your whole head and chin, are key. but its really not going to be that cold for you. For your hands, the best gloves I have ever worn in cold weather sailing are the "Lobsterman's" gloves. on Amazon they are "Promar GL-400B-XL Insulated Progrip Gloves" very warm almost too warm for me. It would be advisable to have another person, if not 2 more people on the boat, its just common saftey sense. Good luck and fair winds, sounds like a great adventure.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:04   #35

Hi Kelsey,

Just sent you a private message :-)

-Helene
lnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:37   #36

I will have my son post here. Ex Army, just starting back at school. We just motored our sailboat from Tampa FL through Caloosahatchee River, Lake Okeechobee and up ICW to our home in Jacksonville Florida.
Chiroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 07:39   #37

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

KelseyB, very interested in your trip, as we plan to take our new boat in Maryland down to Florida, but have decided to wait until April because we are not well prepared for the cold as you are, clearly. Please write again about the route you took once your trip is done, and maybe things you learned along the way. BonVoyage and Many Good Winds.
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 18:33   #38

Boat: North American 23

Hey, I saw your post for crew from Annapolis-I'm not sure when it was posted so I might be too late but I'm down! I'm 21 and in college as well, and totally jealous of you taking off time to sail. I'm a US sailing instructor, was on the Tulane racing team, have a ton of cruising experience, and own an old 23' North American. Let me know if you ever still need some extra hands!
-Sean
sktichenor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, boat, head