Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 05:10   #1

Boat: C&C 44
Erie canal

One person to help me with my powerboat thru the Erie Canal, Lake Ontario to New York. Spring 2021. Please submit experience and expectations.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:38   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Erie canal

I won't be available to do the trip, but I've done that section of canal (a good bit of it in both directions), so if you've got questions, feel free to reach out and ask.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:56   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMM View Post
One person to help me with my powerboat thru the Erie Canal, Lake Ontario to New York. Spring 2021. Please submit experience and expectations.
That is of course assuming the border is open by then. The closure just keeps getting extended and extended.

My understanding is crossing by boat is treated the same as crossing by car and that is currently closed to non-essential travel. Of course you can still fly (but that makes no sense!)

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
That is of course assuming the border is open by then. The closure just keeps getting extended and extended.

My understanding is crossing by boat is treated the same as crossing by car and that is currently closed to non-essential travel. Of course you can still fly (but that makes no sense!)

Where did he mention coming from Canada? US has many ports on Lake Ontario. No borders to cross.
Captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:43   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captandrew View Post
Where did he mention coming from Canada? US has many ports on Lake Ontario. No borders to cross.
It’s not an unreasonable assumption based on his avatar listing him in Ontario, Canada!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captandrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in a pre-recorded interview with NBC's "Meet the Press" that aired Sunday, offered Canadians and Americans no hope that the border between the two countries will reopen anytime soon.

"We'll continue to engage with the White House and with the administration on the best times to start releasing border measures," said Trudeau, "But for now, we all need to keep safe, and that means keeping (the border restrictions) in place."

Trudeau's comments came in the 12th month of the border closure, which restricts crossings to essential commercial, medical- and education-related travel. The U.S. and Canada largely shut land borders between the two countries last March 21 in order to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Now, even though there are signs that the Covid-19 pandemic is easing, Trudeau told NBC's Chuck Todd that concerns about new variants of the virus present a reason to keep the border largely shut.

"Our public health experts telling us what the right measures are and how concerned we have to be about variants," Asked what metrics Canada will look at to determine when the border will reopen, Trudeau said: "I think there's an awful lot of different metrics we need to look at on (the) border and on keeping Canadians safe from Covid-19. Obviously case counts, presence of variants, hospitalizations – all these things factor into the expert analysis."

Based on the projected roll out of vaccines in Canada and the USA, I would hazard a guess that sometime in early to late Fall there might be some degree of easing of border restrictions. The issue of isolation against variants being of keen concern.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:29   #7

Quote:
Spring 2021. Please submit experience and expectations.
Spring is March 31 - June 21. However, the Canal system doesn't appear to be opening until 'mid-may'. You might want to narrow down your details.

Start Point
End Point
Date Range
Time Table

Usually, people submit what they're looking for, rather than the expectations of the crew. (e.g. Are you looking for relocation captain, or a deck hand? A volunteer or a paid engagement? Are you paying for food?)
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Spring is March 31 - June 21. However, the Canal system doesn't appear to be opening until 'mid-may'. You might want to narrow down your details.
Note: The canal began opening its locks on July 4th, 2020. There were delays in completing maintenance and construction projects. The canal closed on October 14th, 2020. Short season.

As per the Erie Canal authority press release of February 4th, 2021:

"As in previous years, the Canal system is projected to operate mid-May through mid-October and no changes are expected to the normal hours of operation."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Note: The canal began opening its locks on July 4th, 2020. There were delays in completing maintenance and construction projects. The canal closed on October 14th, 2020. Short season.

As per the Erie Canal authority press release of February 4th, 2021:

"As in previous years, the Canal system is projected to operate mid-May through mid-October and no changes are expected to the normal hours of operation."
Didn't I just say the exact same thing?
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

Start Point
End Point
Date Range
Time Table

Usually, people submit what they're looking for, rather than the expectations of the crew. (e.g. Are you looking for relocation captain, or a deck hand? A volunteer or a paid engagement? Are you paying for food?)

When we went through the canal near the end of June, not all marinas were open or fully functional for fuel, etc. Would take this into consideration when planning the dates.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:19   #11

Boat: C&C 44

I'm interested in hearing from live, available crew bodies. I know where I think I'm going, when I find the right help I could divert my course appropriately. Finding the right person is key, above all else. Thanks everyone for your input.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:34   #12

And yet still no details.
Old 03-03-2021, 15:54   #13

I would love to help you just for the experience, I have been sailing for the past 20 years having accumulated over 3000 NM water sailing">blue water sailing as part of the crew. I have also done both directions of the ICW. I would expect you to cover all costs while underway. If interested my email is hfkgjk@epix.net
HFWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 17:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Somewhere around 50 deliveries through the NY State Canal System (both ways).
Pay ? How do I get home to Ontario and who pays ? Port of Departure?
If the border does not open to pleasurecraft, as a TC Licensed Master
I could take it on a Commercial Transaction Number exemption as my
wife and I have done several times throughout this covid mess.

A few shots of previous trips through the canals on our own boat.

Cruising New York State Canal System, Erie, Cayuga, Seneca
Old 09-03-2021, 17:03   #15

Quote:
Good Evening, I may be available to assist on this trip
I am in Michigan and I am competent aboard.
I do have qualification
Just looking to crew
tony miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal