Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 14:48   #16

Re: Epic Trip - Louisville, KY to Fort Lauderdale, FL

I made that exact trip in reverse from FTL - Kentucky Lake a number of years ago and enjoyed it in similar low freeboard boat but with jet drives and seaworthy. Dont take that houseboat boat across the Gulf unless there has been 3 days of no wind and no wind predicted for your trip across the Gulf for twice the time you expect you need for transit. Maybe you can hug the coastline if you have any concern about more than 2-3' seas and watch out for those T-storms.

Good luck and with proper planning and reliable (2) engines and steering you will be ok crossing.

And watch out for those barges on the turns, listen to the VHF for traffic, and know what side of the channel to hug when they pass you or you pass them.

Have fun!
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 19:15   #17

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
Wanted - Crew member for an epic river trip from Louisville, KY to Fort Lauderdale, FL. The trip will take approximately 30 days, maybe a bit longer. The craft being delivered is a 50' shoal draft Gibson standard. This will be an adventure as much as a boat delivery... ?

Do you have skills? Are you interested? Please contact me by PM.
When do you plan on starting this trip ?
Hurricane season around the corner.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:26   #18
cruiser

Boat: Cargile Cutter 28'

Why the fixation with Carabelle to Clearwater direct? Sorry if I overlooked something but, as per Google Earth, it is only 75 miles Carabelle to Steinhatchee which is replete with marinas, docking, fuel, food, lodging, grog and waterfront trollops. South of Steinhatchee is Crystal River, Homosassa, Hudson, Port Richey and Tarpon Springs all with pretty much the same amenities. If time permits I would definitely set course for Steinhatchee.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Why the fixation with Carabelle to Clearwater direct? Sorry if I overlooked something but, as per Google Earth, it is only 75 miles Carabelle to Steinhatchee which is replete with marinas, docking, fuel, food, lodging, grog and waterfront trollops. South of Steinhatchee is Crystal River, Homosassa, Hudson, Port Richey and Tarpon Springs all with pretty much the same amenities. If time permits I would definitely set course for Steinhatchee.
Hi Friz,

Thanks for replying and sharing some information. This is going to be my first long trip and my first trip on the river so I appreciate the help that's coming down from everybody. I have all the time in the world to make this trip as long as three months if I need to.
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44   #20

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Thumbs up Re: Epic Trip - Louisville, KY to Fort Lauderdale, FL

Dont worry about the Gulf of Mexico - we water ski miles offshore during late June, all July and August. In scallop season, you can see pontoon boats several miles offshore scooping scallops from the deck as the water is clear and calm, but only 5-7' deep!

Only time it is rough is during thunderstorms. Listen to NOAA before casting off and moving out of the Panhandle.

The stretch from Crystal River north is especially calm at that time of year. If you have fuel, try to make the run all the way to north Clearwater. There are a few rivers, Homosassa, Crystal River, Steinhatchee but it is a long run in from deep water to any anchorage or fuel.

Make sure your AC works when crossing Okeechobee at that time of year, can be unbearably hot. Your alternate route is south to Marathon, then up the ICW to Ft Lauderdale.

PS, I have run many houseboats offshore. Make sure you have gasket seal material if there are sliding glass doors on the bow. A summer squall can blow up short waves which will constantly wash your front deck and quickly saturate the interior floors. Need to be able to waterproof those door seals!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 16:05   #21

PM Sent.
-Joe
TheJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 21:35   #22

Quote:
Wanted - Crew member for an epic river trip from Louisville, KY to Fort Lauderdale, FL. The trip will take approximately 30 days, maybe a bit longer. The craft being delivered is a 50' shoal draft Gibson standard. This will be an adventure as much as a boat delivery... ?

Do you have skills? Are you interested? Please contact me by PM.
***UPDATE***

Thank you to everyone that responded and showed interest. And for all the great advice. However after a trip to Kentucky and the visit to several marinas and curing several votes we round up purchasing a boat that was already in Dania Beach Florida. It's important 3 foot Pearson trawler. It's perfect. So although the epic journey is off for now we have a boat. Again thank you everyone we really appreciate all of the support and interest.
Old 03-06-2017, 21:36   #23

Quote:
***UPDATE***

Thank you to everyone that responded and showed interest. And for all the great advice. However after a trip to Kentucky and the visit to several marinas and curing several votes we round up purchasing a boat that was already in Dania Beach Florida. It's important 3 foot Pearson trawler. It's perfect. So although the epic journey is off for now we have a boat. Again thank you everyone we really appreciate all of the support and interest.
Sorry about the typos. Text to speech is so-so and I don't see an edit button.

Tags
fort lauderdale