Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 16:14   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 33
Do paid crew positions exist?

Hi All,



First post here. I've been sailing on the Great Lakes a bit and ran in to a bit of a life change. I am taking some time away from work to spend time with my family. I was curious if there are any paid crew positions that exist. Once I get some things worked through later this summer I may be available. I just thought I would throw the idea out there - I enjoy being on the water (I've been on the water all my life, sailing just in the last year).
GreatLakeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 16:22   #2
Registered User
 
Suijin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumping around the Caribbean
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 4,627
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

For "crew on passage" or delivery crew, not really. Usually you have to pay your transportation and everything other than food on the boat. Unless you're the captain

"Paid crew" is pretty much reserved for jobs- longer term crew positions on boats that can afford it...charters, super yachts, historic vessels, etc.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 17:02   #3
Registered User
 
CharlesFCook's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 328
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Tall Ships America Billet Bank
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 17:21   #4
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,056
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

FYI:

"Spending Time with Family" and "Paid Crew" positions are not usually compatible for sailors.

Paid crew on superyachts and on commercial ships are typically single, many are in 20s, and on long voyages or only given leave off the boat at the end of a contract which may last for months.

There are relatively few paid positions on smaller boats.

The key is experience and training and for paid positions on superyachts, certifications proving training.

If you are young, fit, good looking, polished, educated, and inexperienced, I suggest you look into researching superyacht jobs, but be aware the costs of training can be substantial and no guarantee of a paid job. You can find books on the subject, websites, and vendors.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 17:29   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Antigua
Boat: Custom 55
Posts: 908
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
FYI:

"Spending Time with Family" and "Paid Crew" positions are not usually compatible for sailors.

Paid crew on superyachts and on commercial ships are typically single, many are in 20s, and on long voyages or only given leave off the boat at the end of a contract which may last for months.

There are relatively few paid positions on smaller boats.

The key is experience and training and for paid positions on superyachts, certifications proving training.

If you are young, fit, good looking, polished, educated, and inexperienced, I suggest you look into researching superyacht jobs, but be aware the costs of training can be substantial and no guarantee of a paid job. You can find books on the subject, websites, and vendors.

Hope that helps.
Funny that you mentioned 'good looking' as a qualification. This is most certainly true! Very few not-good-looking folks crewing on the big yachts, that's for sure.

Of course beauty's in the eye of the beholder, but being young, athletic, and very mannerly are big attributes in that world.

This must be why I'm a fishing captain and not a megayacht skipper! I can be as grubby as I wish out here.
__________________
TJ, Jenny, and Baxter
svrocketscience.com
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 17:37   #6
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,056
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Funny that you mentioned 'good looking' as a qualification. This is most certainly true! Very few not-good-looking folks crewing on the big yachts, that's for sure.

Of course beauty's in the eye of the beholder, but being young, athletic, and very mannerly are big attributes in that world.

This must be why I'm a fishing captain and not a megayacht skipper! I can be as grubby as I wish out here.
I have seen hundreds of superyacht crew photos, and it appears that personal appearance is an essential part of the selection criteria, especially for the steward and stewardess positions, but also for deckhands too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 02:50   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 125
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

I'll add my little bit here. At 70 in 3 weeks time, this is my 50 something year of deliveries. The young upstarts that complain when they're told you'll get your food on board and that's all, kick up a fuss. I have owners who are prepared to pay crew for travel and some of those are long haul flights.

I can't tolerate the bums that sit on docksides looking to travel the oceans, while not having any any intent to pay their way. Over the years I have built up a network of crew, but they are not always available at short notice - the plethora of owners that want the delivery yesterday and believe you can pick crew off a tree like ripe fruit! In this past 3 weeks I've had four owners approach me to bring their yachts back to Europe from the Caribbean - last minute!

The answer to the question is, generally, NO. But while some owners are prepared to cover all expenses for travel and food, do sometimes offer crew something at the end of the voyage - especially if the owner is on board and enjoyed themselves.

As for my age, many clients come back to me, because of the experience that goes with it. The zero to hero, fast track skippers get short sharp rebukes from many owners, because having a qualification is one thing, but not having the experience as well that should go with it has its ramifications. Oh, and my wife thinks I'm good looking, too!
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 03:15   #8
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 9,289
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Funny that you mentioned 'good looking' as a qualification. This is most certainly true! Very few not-good-looking folks crewing on the big yachts, that's for sure.

Of course beauty's in the eye of the beholder, but being young, athletic, and very mannerly are big attributes in that world.

This must be why I'm a fishing captain and not a megayacht skipper! I can be as grubby as I wish out here.
I think most people look good in a uniform and if fit and happy with their work, they tend to shine and look the part.

I can assure you, we hire Superyacht crew based on Character and capabilities, not appearance.

Shortlisted crew go through a fairly intensive interview and psychological analysis and then it is a joint decision between the captain and department head.

I have hired a chief stew who at first glance, was pretty plain, but her warm personality and attention to detail, while making work fun for the junior stews, made her a most beautiful person, inside and out.

A testament to the character of the crew we hire is that many go forward and work within the Corporation, once they are finished with the yachting bit.
Pelagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 08:51   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Rochester, NY
Boat: Beneteau 41.1
Posts: 168
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Not sure exactly what you're looking. If you're Lake Ontario based there may be an opportunity for some day crewing and light boat maintenance work. If that's of interest, send me some details (I believe there's a way to contact another forum member directly but I've never tried it.)
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:07   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tortola
Posts: 748
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
I'll add my little bit here. At 70 in 3 weeks time, this is my 50 something year of deliveries. The young upstarts that complain when they're told you'll get your food on board and that's all, kick up a fuss. I have owners who are prepared to pay crew for travel and some of those are long haul flights.

I can't tolerate the bums that sit on docksides looking to travel the oceans, while not having any any intent to pay their way. Over the years I have built up a network of crew, but they are not always available at short notice - the plethora of owners that want the delivery yesterday and believe you can pick crew off a tree like ripe fruit! In this past 3 weeks I've had four owners approach me to bring their yachts back to Europe from the Caribbean - last minute!

The answer to the question is, generally, NO. But while some owners are prepared to cover all expenses for travel and food, do sometimes offer crew something at the end of the voyage - especially if the owner is on board and enjoyed themselves.

As for my age, many clients come back to me, because of the experience that goes with it. The zero to hero, fast track skippers get short sharp rebukes from many owners, because having a qualification is one thing, but not having the experience as well that should go with it has its ramifications. Oh, and my wife thinks I'm good looking, too!
Ha!! With you there shipmate! I'm currently en route in a TSMY...with only 1 screw. The delay caused by this has made me have to give away 1 transatlantic and 2 inter island in the carribean. It's either feast or famine in this game!!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:56   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Posts: 548
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

When I delivered yachts I generally only used known crew. Unknown crew seems to always be problematic. Every Captain wants things done their way for their reasons. My crew were always paid, trip expenses as well and plenty of expensive food of their choice. How to get on my crewlist? You either had to be highly recommended or previously sailed with me.


As a Yacht Captain on multimillion dollar boats I saw a lot of crew who were cute, good looking etc. I hired those who had skills and the personality that would be cohesive. I especially liked crew that was multitalented and/or willing to learn. I trained a Chief Stew to take care of the boat in my absence as I was looking for permanent crew and needed to go check on the other yacht on the other side of the U.S.. The one I left her in charge with needed more daily work than just sitting on the boat. She had to do mechanical things in the engine room and monitor a couple of developing situations. She relished the idea and did a phenomenal job.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:12   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 174
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

I've got say that I am amazed that there appear to be so many people willing to pay their own transportation costs and even sometimes share in the cost of food consumed during the voyage. I wouldn't dream of getting on an unknown boat with unknown fellow crew w/o compensation. Because there appears to be a fairly large number of warm bodies who are willing to do so translates to some difficulty in your situation of getting paid crew positions. I expect that your chances of being compensated would be improved with either RYA or USCG certificates. A couple of deliveries that I've been involved in required (by the insurance provider) RYA papers.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 14:31   #13
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 2,636
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

It seems to me that crewing can be divided up into three categories: professional, deliveries, and assisting owners.

Professional crewing is a career, not something one just drops into on occasion, and doesn't seem to fit with the OP.

Deliveries can provide paid crew positions, usually for someone with valuable experience. Frequently crew go along for free, or with some costs paid, in return for the experience. If you are doing it to gain experience then you probably can't expect to walk away with money in your pocket.

Helping an owner move their boat is least likely to be paid. If it is a pleasant cruise then it is common to share the costs. If it is more a delivery then food and other costs will usually be covered. Transportation may be covered but is often not - it just depends. Many skippers will not allow alcohol consumption under way, and in any event don't expect them to cover that cost (although it might happen).

The bottom line is that pay is for people with valuable skills and experience who are doing work. Someone who has "been sailing on the Great Lakes a bit" can't expect to do much better than cover costs, if that.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 15:07   #14
Marine Service Provider
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Posts: 2,904
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakeSailor View Post
Hi All,



First post here. I've been sailing on the Great Lakes a bit and ran in to a bit of a life change. I am taking some time away from work to spend time with my family. I was curious if there are any paid crew positions that exist. Once I get some things worked through later this summer I may be available. I just thought I would throw the idea out there - I enjoy being on the water (I've been on the water all my life, sailing just in the last year).


Yes there are paid positions. I sometimes engage paid crew who are known to me.

Why do I (owner) pay? Some volunteer crew add little value. Others add ‘some’ value. Few add significant value. If you have been sailing for one year... ...

That said, if I know the delivery will be a challenge AND I know the person will add value- I will recommend to the owner to pay crew. Off the top of my head I know 3-4 guys who I would take anywhere and sleep comfortably below decks knowing that they have good skills. One of these people has an OUPV and seeks more deck time, others do not have a license.

No paid crew should expect to bring their family along.
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profile—
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
philiosophy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Presently in the Derwent River Tasmania
Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Posts: 168
Images: 7
Re: Do paid crew positions exist?

If you can find someone willing to generously allow your inexperienced self aboard tgeir very expensive yacht you should feel very lucky. Work hard to be of some use. It is they who have spent all the money on purchasing and maintaining quite possibly the worse investment possible. In fact you should more than likely be paying them.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crew

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Phuket to Europe, no paid positions seek. phil and candi Crew Archives 1 10-12-2012 09:23
Crew Available: Mate with all my paper work,Looking for paid positions Snapper Crew Archives 0 17-05-2012 04:56
VAT Tax Paid / Not Paid harmonytek Dollars & Cents 2 13-07-2009 15:31

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.