Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 19:53   #1

Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Hi everyone!!
Haven't been on the site in a while. I have had a few crewing experiences and hope to keep them going. I've had to pass a couple up because of not feeling comfortable with the amount of information available that could be used to track me down in an emergency situation.
I've been told to give your family ashore the registration number and name of the vessel as well as the boat owners name, and any other info available.
My question to all in the know is:
Is it a red flag if they don't want to give your family their boats registration number?
I had a boat owner tell me someone could take a loan out against his boat and screw up his credit, but to my understanding, proof of ownership would be needed for that. Should I try to convince him of this or just quietly take my leave? Most had no problem surrendering their number. I haven't yet taken a trip with someone who refuses. Is there any legitimacy to this boat owners claim? Your input is greatly appreciated!!
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 19:59   #2

Re: Crewing as a female. Sketchy vs. Otherwise

Um, wouldn't anyone who walked by the boat in a marina see the name and registration number?
Not a woman, but I'd pass.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 19:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I can’t see why anyone woul refuse your request.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67B54F72-4BB2-4CB6-B397-3EE69F0C9ABE.jpeg
Views:	511
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	224921  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 20:06   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Is there any legitimacy to this boat owners claim?
Nope, none whatsoever, so trust your instincts and decline this one. And good onya for having such foresight. You and your family will benefit from this ability.

Good luck in finding a more suitable boat and skipper. There are plenty of them out sailing and needing an extra hand.

Jim
Old 09-10-2020, 20:11   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

There are dodgy skippers out there. Trust your instincts and keep asking the questions.
Old 09-10-2020, 20:15   #6

People are scared of their own farts these days. Sure you could take out a loan, you’d also have to forge his signature, but yeah, he’s being a little paranoid, and you’re being a little paranoid of his paranoid...sounds like a good match! Lol

Path of least resistance, do you know the name and some basic details?

Just look up the number yourself

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

If you want the MMSI for AIS tracking (which is what I think you’re getting at)

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...searchShip.jsp

Frankly if you’re that concerned I’d bring a SPOT with you.

Lots of people go on this tangent about people wanting to kidnap them, or steal their kid, while it rarely does happen, more often than not, it’s mental masturbation to think others would sacrifice their freedom and everything they have to take YOU, you are not that important or interesting, outside of some crazy bum with nothing to lose, someone who has a nice boat and nice life isn’t going to throw it away to steal you. Nope.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 20:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danm1 View Post
Um, wouldn't anyone who walked by the boat in a marina see the name and registration number?
Not a woman, but I'd pass.
No.

Registration number is inside the boat for documented boats.
Old 09-10-2020, 20:28   #8

Boat: Island Packet 29

They dont want to give you the boat number so you cant look it up and see they are lying about the boat for whatever reason. Probably telling you its a n Amel 50 and will have a crew of 4, and when you show up on the dock it will be you and The Night Stalker on a Catalina 28.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 20:40   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
People are scared of their own farts these days. Sure you could take out a loan, you’d also have to forge his signature, but yeah, he’s being a little paranoid, and you’re being a little paranoid of his paranoid...sounds like a good match! Lol

Path of least resistance, do you know the name and some basic details?

Just look up the number yourself

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

If you want the MMSI for AIS tracking (which is what I think you’re getting at)

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...searchShip.jsp

Frankly if you’re that concerned I’d bring a SPOT with you.

Lots of people go on this tangent about people wanting to kidnap them, or steal their kid, while it rarely does happen, more often than not, it’s mental masturbation to think others would sacrifice their freedom and everything they have to take YOU, you are not that important or interesting, outside of some crazy bum with nothing to lose, someone who has a nice boat and nice life isn’t going to throw it away to steal you. Nope.
I don't think that is the issue. The reluctance to answer such a mundane question indicates to me a paranoid personality. Find a skipper who is open and transparent, friendly and not worried about a conspiracy to steal his boat.
Old 09-10-2020, 20:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I don't think that is the issue. The reluctance to answer such a mundane question indicates to me a paranoid personality. Find a skipper who is open and transparent, friendly and not worried about a conspiracy to steal his boat.
And her paranoia is cool?

Some person asks a bunch of questions about your boat and you don’t want to tell them a number you mistakingly think is sensitive, honestly my bet is he doesn’t know it’s easy to find anyways, I wouldn’t write it off over this, talk to the person on the phone and get a feel for them, that will tell you much more than not wanting to give some number.

I’d also wager more boat are stolen/titles forged than women taken as sea slaves like some pirate movie.
Old 09-10-2020, 21:35   #11

Thinking more about it, the owner is 100% in the right, the information you asked for was suspicious.

Now I don’t think it was your intent, but you have ZERO need to know the registration number, I’d wager if you asked for the MMSI number so your family could track you, you would have had a different reaction.

Your lack of knowledge and terminology made someone suspicious, which you found suspicious.
Old 09-10-2020, 21:43   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
No.

Registration number is inside the boat for documented boats.
Doesn't that depend on the nationality of the boat and whether it is on a national register for international travel purposes.

Assuming someone who's details say they are in Surinam is only talking about US federally "documented" boats (the US is the only country I know that uses that term), is being rather parochial.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 21:53   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Hi everyone!!
Haven't been on the site in a while. I have had a few crewing experiences and hope to keep them going. I've had to pass a couple up because of not feeling comfortable with the amount of information available that could be used to track me down in an emergency situation.
I've been told to give your family ashore the registration number and name of the vessel as well as the boat owners name, and any other info available.
My question to all in the know is:
Is it a red flag if they don't want to give your family their boats registration number?
I had a boat owner tell me someone could take a loan out against his boat and screw up his credit, but to my understanding, proof of ownership would be needed for that. Should I try to convince him of this or just quietly take my leave? Most had no problem surrendering their number. I haven't yet taken a trip with someone who refuses. Is there any legitimacy to this boat owners claim? Your input is greatly appreciated!!

I would wager that one of the best things most of us have going for us is our instincts,ignore them at your peril.
Regardless of those that may say otherwise, if in doubt, DON'T.
Stay safe and party on dude.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 21:55   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I had a boat owner tell me someone could take a loan out against his boat and screw up his credit, ... Is there any legitimacy to this boat owners claim?
None. Boat registry information is public information in many countries and is frequently available for online lookup.

For the benefit of SailingSue, here's where you can enter a vessel name and find the registration number and several other details for any US "documented" vessel"

https://foss.nmfs.noaa.gov/apexfoss/...5590987::NO:::
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 22:22   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

@Shawna, I would not crew for anyone who is not willing to give you the identification of the vessel i.e. the flag state and the associated registration number and name of the vessel.

There is zero reason to withhold this information to a potential crew member.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crewing, ketch