Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2022, 20:59   #16

Re: Crew wanted to sail the Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipPeters View Post
Sailing to the Northwest Passage aboard a beautifully maintained Nauticat 43 (Sparkman & Stephens design). Departing about May 10th, 2023, with arrival in Boston about October 15, 2023.
I am interested, I am in electronics and electrical and mechanical repairs of all kinds of marine equipment and boats, have a master 60 ton ticket going for my 60 ton plus. Have done 31 years in search and rescue and 716 rescues. Taught cold climate survival and rescue in adverse conditions. If interested send me an email at seabreez500@gmail.com and we can discuss.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 14:44   #17

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Quote:
Sailing to the Northwest Passage aboard a beautifully maintained Nauticat 43 (Sparkman & Stephens design). Departing about May 10th, 2023, with arrival in Boston about October 15, 2023.
Please contact me I have 17 yrs experience crewing on commercial boats in the Gulf of AK and Bering Sea, I am on my third Sailboat now. I have been singlehandling for about 15 years regularly all points from San Francisco to La Paz MX. jgdoyle123@gmail.com
Old 18-07-2022, 14:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
I am interested, I am in electronics and electrical and mechanical repairs of all kinds of marine equipment and boats, have a master 60 ton ticket going for my 60 ton plus. Have done 31 years in search and rescue and 716 rescues. Taught cold climate survival and rescue in adverse conditions. If interested send me an email at seabreez500@gmail.com and we can discuss.
seabreaz, You have a good background. Please contact me at skippeters678@comcast.net. I suspect we will need to be in voice contact.
Skip
SkipPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 20:03   #19

Boat: C&C 40-2

A tempting offer. I sailed my boat as far north as Disco Bay on Greenland then over to Baffin Island. One of my favorite trips. I have also sailed to Antarctica but on a tall ship as crew. I am also close enough to you that we could meet and talk.
nlsmith17@gmail.com
Zonda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 06:54   #20

I am interested. Just completed a 3 week spring trip from Guatemala to Cape Cod on a 53' aluminum boat. Loved it.
widmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:04   #21

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
. A Nauticat is a monohull built in Norway, capable of Arctic conditions. I expect crew members to pay their own way. Skip
Actually Skip, you’re Nauticat was built in Finland.
I own a nauticat 36 and if so inclined, would not hesitate to take it through the northwest passage. She is a very strong boat and well insulated built for the north sea.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:10   #22

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

Quote:
A Nauticat is monohull built in Norway for high latitudes.
Finland.
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 10:25   #23

Boat: Hunter 260

@SkipPeters

Hi. Assume you are now in the PNW? Pretty much what Sailor Greg asked - this should cut your crew recruiting process considerably. And ....hopefully add to their potential comfort level.

Whats in your time frame for pre trip planning/ and crew vetting? A winter training trip around Vancouver Island could be interesting.

PM sent. Thanks. JT
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 15:20   #24

JT, Thanks for the reply. I live in Anacortes, WA. Pre-trip planning and crew vetting are both on my list. The trip you suggest is a possibility. Please call me at 360 271-6239.
Skip Peters
SkipPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 20:48   #25

Boat: Many

It is something I always wanted to do. I was involved in Arctic supply logistics for a US Air Force project. And as a sailor I've follows many of the adventurous articles on the topic. For those who think this is due to global warming, you are wrong. The passage is open every year but your timing has to be perfect as the window is narrow. 2 months.

I have a friend and one Uncle that worked in the Bering Sea on fishing trawlers. It's might rough conditions, particularly in the Bering Sea as it is much like Iceland, a graveyard for merging low pressure systems coupled with shallow seas.

Good luck and I hope it is an uneventful voyage.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 21:11   #26

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I worked on those trawlers for many years also. It wasn't so bad. I called it the sleeping job. Just can't work if its too rough and need to keep the machinery in top shape. I always dream of going thru the NW passage with my boat. I wanted to do it Native style, that is without all the bells and whistles. I'm probably on the edge of bing too old. I just ordered Camerons book.( thanks Skip) I also reviewed Red Dots Doc of his trip. I always hear of boats going East to West .None Going west to East. somebody respond Please.
Old 22-07-2022, 21:21   #27

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
There is a really good book called “The new Northwest Passage” by an intrepid cruiser called Cameron Dueck about his travels and tribulations in the Arctic, a very informative read and also apparently now a documentary film. Not seen the doco but the book was a real armchair adventure for me.
Lots of genuine useful info for anyone considering doing the NWP.
I supported Cameron Dueck's NWP voyage from Victoria. Helped replace gelcoat with Kevlar, provisioning, logistics. You can contact me if you want any info re his planning & experience
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 12:50   #28

Boat: Grand Banks 36-502 Classic

I'll go!
email sent
Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 09:25   #29

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

Per OP SkipPeters request: ISO Volunteer Crew for Northwest Passage Expedition May-Oct 2023 aboard Nauticat 43 Pilothouse Ketch "Tango": west-east Anacortes, WA to Boston, MA across Canadian Arctic: tryout for 4th of 4 crew &/or alternate. Cold adventure/bluewater sailing experience necessary. Responsible for own personal expenses onshore, equal share of food & fuel offshore. Must participate in shakedown cruise Mar 2023 circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. Budget at least 5-10 boat bucks for your gear, toyz, food, fuel, airfares, tourism, champagne in Anacortes & Boston, etc. No diving, glacier/iceberg climbing, hunting normally expected. Skills of primary interest: seamanship, electrical, mechanical, food prep, videographer, met-ocean, biology. Demonstrably reliable in a jam, diligent observer, keen sense of situational awareness, physically fit (other crew are more or less), compatible, tolerant, and have a she-wolf protective attitude. Success is coming home alive with all digits and a story that includes First Nations cultures, a species census, and a keener eye. Ideas for charitable causes welcome.

Comment: I flew to Bellingham from Houston and spent 4 days aboard s/y Tango in the Anacortes marina with another hopeful crew from Idaho just days after the new owner closed on her. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we were unable to sail her. But we thoroughly inspected every locker (extensive spares inventory), talked at length to the current and former owners (both competent sailors), studied the recent marine survey and studied/tested various shipboard systems, and even successfully troubleshot an ignition system gremlin (fun!). Tango's in excellent condition. Her sail inventory is mostly new and complete. Her nav electronics are almost new and extensive, many redundant. Her engine and bow thruster purr. The previous owner was a meticulous engineer. There remain a few things, like acquisition of a cold-water life raft, before passage but she's a fine vessel. She needs Plan B if the hydraulic steering system fails - the boat design does not lend itself easily to rudder post-mounted emergency tillers. These issues can be resolved. The OP SkipPeters hopes to find one or two more competent sailors for a shakedown around Vancouver in March. Contact him directly for details.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 14:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
What's your background? Do you know what you are getting into? (I've been through the NW passage - but not on a sailboat).
Aft cabin sailboat not my first choice , sailboat not my first choice , single Ford Lehman ?? not my first choice , don’t mean to be rude it’s just not my first choice, Fiberglass, Fuel capacity , water maker , I could go on and on
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew wanted, passage, sail, wanted