Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 20:03   #1

Crew wanted for passage to Panama.

I'm looking for a female crew to sail Chesapeake Bay to Panama SOON! Starting like early to mid November. Boat is a lovely Passport 40. Skipper is guy in his 60'a, low key and easy to get along with, fit and knowledgeable. There is a possibility of your just going part way. Like jumping off at Jamaica or Bahamas if you needed to.
Tumble dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 03:44   #2

Re: Crew wanted for passage to Panama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble dog View Post
I'm looking for a female crew to sail Chesapeake Bay to Panama SOON! Starting like early to mid November. Boat is a lovely Passport 40. Skipper is guy in his 60'a, low key and easy to get along with, fit and knowledgeable. There is a possibility of your just going part way. Like jumping off at Jamaica or Bahamas if you needed to.
Specifically female crew?! For a month-long passage (mostly) offshore?

That's a red flag, right there...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 04:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Specifically female crew?! For a month-long passage (mostly) offshore?

That's a red flag, right there...
Everyone is allowed to his own desires, it isn't up to us to raise any red flags. And any taker will decide on her own, whether it's a red flag for her or not.

Also, him being up front what he looks for is a lot better than the usual all-inclusive-non-discriminatory bulldung so common these days. He could have just as well have written the politically correct "Crew m/f/whatever" and rejected any m and whatever. Same result, but wasting a lot of time on undesirable candidates.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 04:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Everyone is allowed to his own desires, it isn't up to us to raise any red flags. And any taker will decide on her own, whether it's a red flag for her or not.
Spoken like a man.

LW77
Old 18-10-2021, 05:13   #5

Quote:
Spoken like a man.
Are you inferring, women are incapable to think on their own whether an offer is of interest to them and they need hand-holding so they don't get overwhelmed by trying to interpret such an offer?

And I though, women can do everything a man can, only better and in heels.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Are you inferring women are incapable to think on their own whether an offer is of interest to them and they need hand-holding so they don't get overwhelmed by trying to interpret such an offer?

And I though, women can do everything a man can, only better and in heels.
This response being a prime example of the type of problem women encounter all in the time in sailing.

Thank you for illustrating my point so well!

LW77
Old 18-10-2021, 06:44   #7

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

I'd say that the OP only having one post would be the red flag.
Old 18-10-2021, 09:43   #8

Geez louise guys! Relax! As a woman I’m not offended. Stop trying to take control of a situation that is not in your hands. Believe it or not, women don’t need mens help to make decisions. I’m sure anyone interested in this very cool opportunity will do their due diligence. I’ve heard many stories of loony guys hoping on someone’s boat and wrecking havoc - would you say anything about that if he only wanted a male onboard?? Perhaps the OP wants to avoid the extra testosterone (as illustrated with some of these opinionated comments).
svigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:11   #9

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svigue View Post
Geez louise guys! Relax! As a woman I’m not offended. Stop trying to take control of a situation that is not in your hands. Believe it or not, women don’t need mens help to make decisions. I’m sure anyone interested in this very cool opportunity will do their due diligence. I’ve heard many stories of loony guys hoping on someone’s boat and wrecking havoc - would you say anything about that if he only wanted a male onboard?? Perhaps the OP wants to avoid the extra testosterone (as illustrated with some of these opinionated comments).
Well said!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 18-10-2021, 12:35   #10

Over the years I’ve taken on crew (and been crew) on lot’s of boats making voyages every which way. Absolutely the worst ( by a good shot ) was a female. It was awful. So maybe the OP is the one who’s vulnerable and not the poor defenseless potential lady crew
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 17:08   #11

Personally I would jump on this in a minute if the timing were right for me. And with a little due diligence of course. I'm planning to visit Panama and check it out as potential retirement location, in about a year or two.

And, I'm female, early 60's now, with open ocean sailing and commercial fishing experience. I've never had any real issue being the only female aboard.

But, always always trust your instincts and have a plan.
GilaChica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:17   #12

Boat: Young 42

At least he's being honest and up front. It's right there in his user name, Tumble "DOG". People should decide on their own whether or not they trust him, his motives, and his vessel. As a mostly solo circumnavigating sailor, I have often taken crew for longer passages. I've had experiences good and bad, both with women and men. The sailboat owner is taking as much risk as the potential crew.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 19:58   #13

Boat: 1997 Hunter 376

Probably just looking to start a YouTube channel... thumbnails with girls in bikinis get clicks
Seasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 06:45   #14

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
This response being a prime example of the type of problem women encounter all in the time in sailing.

Thank you for illustrating my point so well!

LW77
In this situation I fail to see a 'problem' at all. Of course, I'm a man, which automatically makes me a pig. But in this case the skipper is quite clear about
what he wants, and there are plenty of women that don't automatically feel that their sex makes them a perpetual 'victim'.
As for me, I prefer the company of women as they are in most ways superior creatures.
If you're uncomfortable with the thought that romance and/or sex might rear it's ugly head, then don't go.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 09:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble dog View Post
Hi Tumble dog. I may be interested & able. Just sent you a PM.
nycgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew wanted, Panama, passage, wanted