Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 03:04   #1

Boat: S2 9.2C
Crew schooner Annapolis to Norfolk va

Hi! We are acquiring a schooner 45 ft and will be sailing it south from md to va in mid december. 3 or 4 day trip mostly under sail.
If you have some experience with sailing you are welcome to pm me. If you have lots of experience on schooners we will pay you a bit. Otherwise payment is the experience.
Byo cold weather gear air mattress bedding. Ship is empty inside. We will feed you. Cabin will be heated.
Must have a clean record ( traffic violations and pot don't matter). Must be cool with special needs kids, our son has autism. Ideally you could find your way back but if not transportation back is possible for the right person. Only taking on one crew member. We will select from applicants by dec 5th.
Thanks!
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 07:00   #2

Re: Crew schooner Annapolis to Norfolk va

Btw couples ot 2 close friends would also be fine!
Old 20-11-2020, 10:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to caffel

I've sent a PM.
My 20 years with Boy Scouts may be an asset.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 21:36   #4

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hello CamWrenRoo,
Congratulations on the new schooner and would be keen to hear more (new, refit, older refirb). I have a solid 5K nm more off-shore, split between Pacific and Atlantic, and have done that same route you mention (in reverse) on our return leg from the Caribbean to Annapolis, via Bermuda, delivery run.

I do deliveries as my avocation (as a volunteer, no $, and glad to chip in on food), but also work around a 'day job' (ugh). I did that Little Creek (VA) to Annapolis mostly at night, so under power, of course. That was on a 49' Beneteau Oceanis, but I'm completely comfortable in less luxurious conditions, not to mention chillier ones. (I have 20 years in Maine and 5 more in the Rockies to thank for being numb to cold weather). So I do sail with my cold weather kit as appropriate.

So I'm not certain about my own schedule, but I'm certainly due some vacation after a several months of 7 day weeks and a month ago even had to cancel my 2 week vacation where I'd have been crewing on an off-shore delivery .

The only question I might have is about sailing down channel in pretty busy shipping lanes, at least when I was at the helm I got frequent VHF calls from cargo haulers running at three times our 7 kts, and then passing close by. Man do those . But if there's a favorable breeze, not a problem.

When you say 3-4 days, I'm assuming we're talking running at night too, on watch rotation, which I'm used to. I'm also assuming you have AIS operational. We found that valuable, since the big boys could then call us by name, and we knew who was who. I have Navionics GPS running on my iPad which is an amazing tool and perfect for coastal, especially night runs for buoy identification.

SO anyway, just some thoughts. My experience ranges from 28' Sloop (Morgan) to 54' Ketch (C&T), and both ASA and ICC certifications. Sailing CV on-iine at NatuticEd.org. (link available). I'd be keen to see your sloop, maybe post a photo when you have a minute.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Cheers for now.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 03:26   #5

Hi folks!
So we are looking at doing this passage in March. We've decided to do some more work on the interior before departing. We are also considering 2 additional crew, which we feel we can accommodate once we complete a few interior projects. It will also be a bit warmer in March (hopefully)!
With regards to the passage - we are now thinking about a more leisurely pace, so we are looking at 5-6 days, most likely during the first or second week of March.
This boat is new to us, so the later date will also give us the chance to do a few short day trips prior to the big one. Those short trips will happen sometime in February. If anyone would like to join us for a short trip to help us get a feel for the boat, that would be awesome. It would also let us get to know you and vice versa. When we get closer to that time, I'll post updates on dates for both the short trip dates and the passage from Annapolis to Portsmouth. For those of you who have responded, thank you so much! If you think you will have some time in March, let us know.
Old 30-11-2020, 03:48   #6

A bit on the boat: She's a pinky schooner, loa 45, lod 35, carvel planked, built in 1988, class c tall ship. Outfitted with radar. Navionics for nav.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:39   #7

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"

Im interested in helping with the delivery. My experience is similar to others, Ive completed numerous off shore deliveries to & from Caribbean from east coast ports. I sailed a new 45 Lagoon from Annapolis to USVI last fall aft it was shown at the Annapolis boat show. I live in Virginia Beach and own a 2000 Hunter 46 sloop that I keep at Baypoint. I have a grandson home is on the autism scale and have a masters in education with a fair amount of special needs training. Im message you my number; if you live in Hampton Roads I suggest we have coffee and discuss your plans and meet. It is critical everyone has compatible personalities. I could go on and on, owned several sailboats over the years, retired Naval officer, physically fit with no health issues and very good at fixing most things that can and usually do go wrong once underway but talking and meeting, if practical, is prudent on your part and mine. Best wishes either way.
Rob Williams ....number coming via PM
Soldout2sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:10   #8

Hi, I could help you move the boat. I am waiting to sail my schooner from Mallorca to the Caribbean, and then on to the South Pacific, which doesn't look possible anytime soon due to Virus. I have time and could get to Maryland easy enough.. Cheers
sidsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, crew