Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 17:58   #1

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella
Crew needed Chesapeake to Fla in January

Seeking 2 crew members for a passage trip from near Annapolis to Charleston, South Carolina in early January. Our 36-foot PDQ sailing catamaran is new to us, so will probably motor the Intracoastal thru the Chesapeake then go offshore if weather permits. Seeking easy going couple with some sailing experience or training, capable of night watches. We are 60’s couple familiar with Florida rivers and the ICW but not much blue water. Need the crew for night watches so the trip won’t take so long. We may get a slip every 3-4 days for rest and refills if needed. We provide all boat expenses and food. You just need your own transport there and back.
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:12   #2

Re: Crew needed Chesapeake to Fla in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm823 View Post
Seeking 2 crew members for a passage trip from near Annapolis to Charleston, South Carolina in early January. Our 36-foot PDQ sailing catamaran is new to us, so will probably motor the Intracoastal thru the Chesapeake then go offshore if weather permits. Seeking easy going couple with some sailing experience or training, capable of night watches. We are 60’s couple familiar with Florida rivers and the ICW but not much blue water. Need the crew for night watches so the trip won’t take so long. We may get a slip every 3-4 days for rest and refills if needed. We provide all boat expenses and food. You just need your own transport there and back.
I have done your route a few times
It’s the wrong time of the year, you’re a few months late.
It’s gonna be cold, short days.
For sure stay inside to at least Morehead City NC
Shear madness to go around Cape Hatteras in January in
a smaller light cat.
The lowlands of NC are beautiful and it’s a nice trip
We took the Virginia cut route
However in January some facilities might be closed and getting fuel
might be an issue.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 13:28   #3

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

I agree the Intracoastal is the only sane route to North Carolina. But could you elaborate on the Virginia cut route?
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 13:38   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

From Norfolk VA to Albemarle Sound you have the choice of taking the Dismal Swamp or the newer primary route - the Virginia Cut. The swamp is scenic and quieter, the cut has more commercial craft and fast boats.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 17:10   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Listen to the advice and take the ditch, that's what it's for. I don't do Hatteras in January (and I get paid for doing that)
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54   #6

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm823 View Post
I agree the Intracoastal is the only sane route to North Carolina. But could you elaborate on the Virginia cut route?
Virginia Cut is the alternative to the Dismal Swamp. No biggie and faster. After doing ICW about 10 times, recommend the Cut.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55   #7

the nor easters that come up the coast this time of year are way bad have traveled from norfolk to coinjock a bunch of times and it is best to do it on the weekend when u go by my beneteau with the hard top just before coinjock marina say hello the trip from portsmouth to coinjock is about 8 hours with 4 bridges and a lock that require opening.
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
Virginia Cut is the alternative to the Dismal Swamp. No biggie and faster. After doing ICW about 10 times, recommend the Cut.
Curious to hear the reasoning - he's motoring a small cat, so the added speed of the Cut is no advantage. Plus more, faster traffic means he'll be waked - a lot. OTOH, the Swamp is a long boring drive, but free docking at the Welcome Center and a nice walk around the park there, plus free docking (if there's space) in Elizabeth City (which is a nice little town to boot) make it the more attractive option IMO, but horses for courses.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have made the trip and specifically this section a few times. 100% going outside this time of year would not be advised.

If you have boating experience in Florida just take your boat down the ICW. No different and in some ways easier as there are fewer bridges that the south Florida sections. There are a couple of areas where it opens up and you can play with the sails.

Two things, watch the weather when crossing the open areas like Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds AND without fail check online with USCG notice to mariners and services like Waterwayguide.com to get updates on possible bridge closings, construction, dredging, shoaling spots, missing channel markers and the like. I've been through when a bridge was broken and couldn't open for a few days. Better to know before you show up.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11   #10

I did this exact same trip from Anapolis to Melbourne FL a few years back with a used PDQ 36 that I had just purchased. Beautiful trip. Two weeks. Since the boat was new to me I had brought a Zodiac in case of an emergency in these cold waters... I also had bought a small Yamaha generator 2KW (that I still have) for the heaters... Feel free to hit me with any questions...
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:13   #11

I was also caught once in a dense fog on the bay listening to big barges going by without any visibility... pretty scary.
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the ditch is also tough this time of the year. no matter how you plan it you will have the tide and wind against you at least 50% of the time .. maybe more. in a small sailboat you can easily be slowed to 3 or 4 knots. much better when you get to Florida but it is a long haul from Charleston. The good part is it will get warmer as you go and you have a shallow draft. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:46   #13

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Going outside absolutely a non-starter this time of year unless you have a fast, reliable sport-fisher type motor cruiser where the 2-4kt NE Gulf Stream current against you would be a trivial loss, and a "guaranteed" weather window for several days. Even 15kts out of the NE can make the Steam untenable - particularly for light cat - into the short, square waves, esp. around the Outer Banks which deflect and compress the stream. So no night watches needed - just short days on the ICW. Don't run it at night!

Is your PDQ twin diesel or the twin center-mounted 10HP gas outboard version?

It will be a cold, miserable trip, and a dodger is essential. A full cockpit enclosure as we had on our FP Antigua 37 cat was a little bit of heaven with the salon door open and the diesel heater at full blast.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 16:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have made the trip and specifically this section a few times. 100% going outside this time of year would not be advised.

If you have boating experience in Florida just take your boat down the ICW. No different and in some ways easier as there are fewer bridges that the south Florida sections. There are a couple of areas where it opens up and you can play with the sails.

Two things, watch the weather when crossing the open areas like Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds AND without fail check online with USCG notice to mariners and services like Waterwayguide.com to get updates on possible bridge closings, construction, dredging, shoaling spots, missing channel markers and the like. I've been through when a bridge was broken and couldn't open for a few days. Better to know before you show up.

For sure the Albermarle can blow up big time
just a small barrier island separates it from the Atlantic.
Be sure to check fuel availability along your route
as for sure there will be seasonal closures
I’d be bring jerry cans with at least enough for 100
miles and would never pass a gas dock
without topping up
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 17:22   #15

Times change, but when we went down in Feb '14 the only closed marina was Alligator River (near Columbia NC) and they had someone on call; we fueled there and had access to the facilities.

Tags
crew