Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 08:02   #1

Couple available in USA and beyond for crew/boat sitting

Just to be upfront, my wife and I are cruising novices. The only sailing experience we have is 7 days of ASA courses. We studied all the ASA textbooks and passed the tests enabling us to bareboat charter our own catamaran. We also owned a 14' dingy for a season and did a fair amount of daysailing to practice the skills we learned in our ASA courses. Our plan was to purchase a used catamaran and start cruising about 3 years ago. Things didn't work out as we planned but our dream of cruising is still alive. We just have to find another way to start getting sailing experience without owning our own boat for now. My wife, Kinkani, and I are both a very fit, healthy living oriented and a no drama couple. We're vegetarians and we don't drink alcohol but don't mind if fellow cruisers indulge in both in moderation. We can not tolerate cigarette smoking, pot smoking and any drug use. We both like to be neat and organized and work great as a team. Together we can quickly cook up an excellent, healthy meal. Over the years we've been on many different types of world traveling adventures. We've backpacked all over California, trekked in the Himalayas, lived in a van in New Zealand and have visited numerous countries around the world. Currently, we are based in San Diego as Covid-19 has put our traveling plans on hold. We would really like to connect with a boat owner that's interested in couple crew members that are energetic, enthusiastic and easy to get along with.
My wife and I are retired and are really interested in getting more sailing experience. We really want to learn everything we can about all aspects of sailing, from managing the sails to planning a trip to maintaining the boat and it systems. Our goal is to get our own boat and cruise for a few years. We are eager to learn and are used to situations most people our age would find uncomfortable. We both love being on the water, out in nature and staying fit and healthy. I am an experienced handyman and a lifelong surfer, snowboarder mountain biker, hiker and fitness enthusiast. Kinkani is a great partner since she feels the same about fitness and health, she ran 25 marathons and 7 ultra marathons. She's great at getting projects completed and is a great cook too!
Srfnsnw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 06:51   #2

Re: Couple available in USA and beyond for crew/boat sitting

Hello,
I’m in the process of preparing to set sail on a multi year cruise. I’m very actively boat shooping. I’m retired at 52, single, my friends are still working so will be looking for crew to join me who can pay their own living expenses. I am not looking for paid crew. You’ll seemed like minded based on your post. I’m wintering in palm desert but will be coming to San Diego to look at sailboats. Maybe we could meet for a walk or coffee? Realistically it’s going to 6-12 months before I set sail, but your post struck a cord and getting f some crew options in the hopper couldn’t hurt. Let me know here or by email, which I set my account up to receive... however that works. Chris
ChrisDillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:04   #3

Hi Chris,

In our current situation it's difficult to predict where we'll be in 6 months to a year from now. It would be nice to meet you and talk about sailboats and cruising plans. We're staying in PB for now. Let us know when you will be in San Diego.

Thanks,
Dean
Old 16-11-2020, 20:07   #4

Understandable. I realize it’s a long shot, but ya never know when the stars may align.... I’ll let you know when I head to San Diego to look at boats. No plans at them moment. Will be Marina del ray looking at a couple boats wednesay and Huntington Beach Thursday. Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srfnsnw100 View Post
Hi Chris,

In our current situation it's difficult to predict where we'll be in 6 months to a year from now. It would be nice to meet you and talk about sailboats and cruising plans. We're staying in PB for now. Let us know when you will be in San Diego.

Thanks,
Dean
Old 16-11-2020, 20:08   #5

May head north to look at this boat. On paper, it’s exactly what I’m looking for:

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1991-hallberg-rassy-45-7587259/
Old 17-11-2020, 12:21   #6

That's a beautiful boat with a great reputation! Good luck.
Old 17-11-2020, 13:15   #7

Are you free Friday Am for a beach walk "hello" ? i'm thinking of staying on the beach thursday night at san onofree state beach after checking out boats. meeting you guys would be enough to tip the scales. going to ask my broker about san diego boats...... now.

if you want to find a time to meet, shoot me a text. 5.0.3-4.7.7-0.8.9.0

chris
Old 17-11-2020, 14:37   #8

I will be camped at san onfree state beach thursday. i could meet thursday evening or friday am or even friday afternoon after looking at boats... shoot me a text if any of that will work for you guys.
Old 18-11-2020, 11:19   #9

Hi,

We are in the middle of doing some home renovations and can't get away right now but let us know when you come to San Diego.
Old 19-11-2020, 13:32   #10

Maybe I wasn’t clear? I’ll be in San Diego tomorrow looking at a couple boats. Shoot me a text if u want to rendezvous. Number is above. If not. Safe journeys. Chris

Tags
boat, crew