Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 16:32   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
How do you handle crew members who look good during tryouts and as soon as you are far enough out to make a return trip to drop them off impractical, they act like they are on a paid vacation? Refuse to do their watches, refuse to be responsible, always putting the rest of the crew at risk?
Nots whole lot you can do , like boatman I've done deliveries , where the owner fills the crew with family , friends , etc often no sailing experience. Generally the first storm knocks the " man" into them. ( or not in one or two cases)

Once I had to divert to within helicopter range to get a really seasick person off

Dave
Old 20-06-2013, 18:07   #32

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

As a captain, I would insist on my crew to show me their TWIC ID card, so that I may verify it on Homeland's Security website; if no TWIC card, you cannot be part of my crew. I have one, so my crew is welcome to verify its authenticity. If you carry a TWIC card, the FBI already checked your criminal background; I do not have to do it again. Just bring it with your current passport.
Medications brought on board...I can tell if they are legitimate, and what medical conditions they are used for. Someone who is taking a lot of pain killers, anti depressants, requiring nitroglycerin pills, or needing daily several insulin injections, and other mood affecting medications would not be considered a good crew member.
I would explain the seaworthiness of my bare boat charter: PFD's/safety gear, water, fuel, electrical performance tested, mechanical/propulsion test, sails/winches/sheets test, currency of log entries, emergency procedures, nav/com test, to just name a few.
I would also like my crew to know in case I get sick what they should do, and in case one of the crew gets sick what I should do; agreed upon arrangement for hospitalization, flight departure to home airport and who will be paying for these expenses.
Special food diets, provisioning and going ashore for dinners; agreement on managing the cost and who pays for what. I always pay for offshore dinners/meals; liquors only, out of your pocket. Agreed upon keeping watches, sharing duties and daily maintenance of the boat. While not on watch duty, you're free to enjoy the ride, sun-tan, listen to your i-pod and such.
It's a long list that would be e-mailed, discussed over the phone and then face-to-face meeting prior to departure. The rest...Bon Voyage!

Mauritz
If you fail to plan, you planned to fail!
Old 20-06-2013, 18:14   #33
cruiser

See how easy it is to identify boats to avoid?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 18:17   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
How do you handle crew members who look good during tryouts and as soon as you are far enough out to make a return trip to drop them off impractical, they act like they are on a paid vacation? Refuse to do their watches, refuse to be responsible, always putting the rest of the crew at risk?
Mutiny has always been a problem. Did you bring a plank?

Seriously, this is why I always have short demanding passages for anyone who is going to become long term crew. But as you look into the eyes of those around you, do you really know them? This question goes very deep into the soul of man, and that soul has many shades of light and dark.

Hence, I may make ocean crossings alone, or with one other relative or near relative.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:03   #35

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Unhappy Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

I've crewed on one boat [from this site] and it went ok. Sooner or later it may not and having everybody check each others luggage at once may be the fun way of doing it. My worst nighmare is being teamed up with an ax murderer, etc. Any voluntary crewed boats that never came back?
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:16   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There have been both Captains and crew who have never come back. Funny, being in the position that I am in, I only recall stories where the captain is waylaid. ie:
Former child star Skylar Deleon guilty over yacht double murder - Telegraph
Suspects Arrested in Florida Murder of 'Joe Cool' Fishing Boat Crew - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
But I am sure the crew can be at risk from a psycho captain I just haven't heard of it. Has anyone else?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:25   #37
cruiser

I think as long as the crew outnumbers the captain, the captain has a lot more to fear from the crew than vice versa. But that would go for any single member of the crew.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 21:19   #38

Jammer the statement about how others treat a waitress reminds me of two crew members that turned out to be a PIA at the next port I put both of them in a hotel room together and they were sick of each other by the next day HA HA HA HA Another way is if they piss all over toilet there out of here!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 03:47   #39
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Some pretty interesting points of view.

I knew a skipper who ended up with the plague of crew members. As I recall the story, most of the guys were great but they hit heavy weather and everyone was sick. One of the crew was a professional and started the "I know everyone has to stand his shares of double watch but not me." The captain finally got so sick of it he grabbed the guy by the weather gear">foul weather gear and yanked him into his face so they could see eye ball to eye ball.

"Buddy", he said with piercing blue eyes, "either you do your part like everyone else or not one of us is going to lift a finger if you go overboard." The guy snapped to and the cruise worked out. I am sure the captain was not serious but he was trying to make it clear about being responsible even when it isn't like a holiday anymore.
la vida nueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 10:03   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I would insist on my crew to show me their TWIC ID card
Youll never take on foreign crew then Mauritz, !!!!

dave
Old 21-06-2013, 10:54   #41
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

I find the diversity in crews a wonderful thing. It is great to learn from other cultures, and a cruise gives you a keen idea of how others think and what their customs are. Just a point of view. Worst vacation idea for me? Send me to Mexico to live in an all American hotel with staged music, food and atmosphere. Bring 'em on, I love to learn from others!
la vida nueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 12:39   #42

Hi GoBoating! I lived in several countries. There are wonderful people everywhere I lived. Having a crew for an extended voyage requires me to be more cautious about who to pick. It is very difficult to check the criminal background of foreigners. When I stop by a Customs Office, I do not want to be surprised about what my crew did NOT disclose to me prior to departure. With a TWIC ID and a current passport, I have one less issue to worry about. In every place my crew and I visited, I sailed through the paperwork without a hitch; 40+ countries.

Mauritz
Better be cautious than sorry!
Old 21-06-2013, 13:08   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi GoBoating! I lived in several countries. There are wonderful people everywhere I lived. Having a crew for an extended voyage requires me to be more cautious about who to pick. It is very difficult to check the criminal background of foreigners. When I stop by a Customs Office, I do not want to be surprised about what my crew did NOT disclose to me prior to departure. With a TWIC ID and a current passport, I have one less issue to worry about. In every place my crew and I visited, I sailed through the paperwork without a hitch; 40+ countries.

Mauritz
Better be cautious than sorry!

TWIC....?? WTFIT...??
Tequila, Whisky ice n Coke..?? have to try that one...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 13:33   #44

Hi Boatman! Transportation Worker Identification Credential; TWIC. To get one, you must be a US citizen, submit to a FBI/Homeland Security background check, show your current passport, driver's license and social security card. You will also be fingerprinted and photographed. A fee of about $150 USD is to be paid, during your processing; the TWIC ID card is good for 5 years. If your background is squeaky clean, you can get your TWIC within 10 business days. You must show up in person, to pick it up and to have it activated; it contains a bar code, a magnetic stripe, an embedded chip and your digitized picture. During your pick-up of the card, expect more fingerprints to confirm the original ones taken.
Now, having said that, wouldn't you really want your crew members to carry their TWIC cards and their current passports? I do! After all, your neck and licenses are on the line! (pilot license, weapons license, pharmacy license, among others.)

Mauritz
An ounce of caution...
Old 21-06-2013, 13:44   #45

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknav
Now, having said that, wouldn't you really want your crew members to carry their TWIC cards and their current passports? I do! After all, your neck and licenses are on the line! (pilot license, weapons license, pharmacy license, among others.)

Mauritz
An ounce of caution...
Of my core sailing group of friends I'm the only one whom has a TWIC card. The TWIC is for business and I have never wanted to invite it aboard my boat, nor would I wish it upon anyone who is not required to have it to go get one for fun.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, paracelle