Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 16:37   #1

Captain/Instructor/Lucky Sailor in Sept. 2018 in Philippines/Malaysia

I am currently looking to purchase a 45-ish foot steel hull sailboat in Malaysia or the Philippines (possibly Australia) in September. I am looking for someone to assist with evaluating possible purchases, to fly to inspect boats of interest, to captain the boat and, most importantly, to teach me and my wife how to sail and, more importantly, anchor the boat. If you are an experienced sailor who has always dreamed of sailing southeast Asia, and you are interested in living that dream, I'd be interested in talking to you.

What's in it for me? Your expertise in the boat purchase, learning from you, someone to explore paradise with when my wife gets tired of me, and, hopefully, someone who becomes a dear friend who can visit again and again.

What's in it for you? An all expense-paid sailing vacation to paradise, wonderful company and great students, and, making a new dear friend who has a boat in SE Asia.

I'm not looking for a professional captain who wants to help me attain a certification. I don't really care about the certification at this time (or should I?) I just want to learn how to safely sail, anchor, and maintain the boat so I can grow as a sailor. I'm looking for someone who is interested in fulfilling their dream and who wants to help me fulfill my dream. Someone who wants to pay it forward. Someone who believes that when one teaches, two learn.

A little about my wife and me. I'm 51 yoa and American. My wife is 38 yoa and Chinese. I learned to sail when I was 8 yoa, was a windsurfing instructor in college, occasionally rent a small cat or laser, and have never sailed a boat anywhere near the size of the boat I'm looking to buy. My wife has never sailed, she wants to learn, and she's smart enough to learn quickly. She's also a great hostess and will make sure we are well fed. Our plan is to relocate to Malaysia or the Philippines and live the dream.

If this is something that peaks your interest, shoot me a response and let me know a little about yourself and your interest in joining us. Let's start the discussion.

Reed
MeltingIceCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 22:45   #2

Re: Captain/Instructor/Lucky Sailor in Sept. 2018 in Philippines/Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingIceCube View Post
I am currently looking to purchase a 45-ish foot steel hull sailboat in Malaysia or the Philippines (possibly Australia) in September. I am looking for someone to assist with evaluating possible purchases, to fly to inspect boats of interest, to captain the boat and, most importantly, to teach me and my wife how to sail and, more importantly, anchor the boat. If you are an experienced sailor who has always dreamed of sailing southeast Asia, and you are interested in living that dream, I'd be interested in talking to you.

What's in it for me? Your expertise in the boat purchase, learning from you, someone to explore paradise with when my wife gets tired of me, and, hopefully, someone who becomes a dear friend who can visit again and again.

What's in it for you? An all expense-paid sailing vacation to paradise, wonderful company and great students, and, making a new dear friend who has a boat in SE Asia.

I'm not looking for a professional captain who wants to help me attain a certification. I don't really care about the certification at this time (or should I?) I just want to learn how to safely sail, anchor, and maintain the boat so I can grow as a sailor. I'm looking for someone who is interested in fulfilling their dream and who wants to help me fulfill my dream. Someone who wants to pay it forward. Someone who believes that when one teaches, two learn.

A little about my wife and me. I'm 51 yoa and American. My wife is 38 yoa and Chinese. I learned to sail when I was 8 yoa, was a windsurfing instructor in college, occasionally rent a small cat or laser, and have never sailed a boat anywhere near the size of the boat I'm looking to buy. My wife has never sailed, she wants to learn, and she's smart enough to learn quickly. She's also a great hostess and will make sure we are well fed. Our plan is to relocate to Malaysia or the Philippines and live the dream.

If this is something that peaks your interest, shoot me a response and let me know a little about yourself and your interest in joining us. Let's start the discussion.

Reed
Hello Reed,

My name is Gil (28 yoa from Barcelona) and I text you because I have the same dream as you, buy a sail boat and sail to the paradise, the difference it is that I don't have the money to do it right now.

However helping you in that process, start searching, inspect, buy, sail... could be so close to fulfill my dream!

I started sailing when I was a kid, my grandfather had a sail boat and now my dad have another one (Dufour 40Performance), so they shared their love for it with me. I have sailed most in the Mediterranean Sea and I was working as a Sailing Instructor the last 6 years (dinghy, cruise and general maintenance) and doing some charters between Spain and Balearic Islands, but I decided to quit my job to discover different Seas.

For me sailing is my passion and it makes me happy so I would really like to share it with you.

I love Asia and I have been in India, Nepal, Myanmar, Indonesia and Philppines (my favorite, what a country!!!).

Right now I am in New Zealand and in two weeks I'll be totally available.

I hope to hear from you!

Cheers!

Gil.
Gilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 00:44   #3

Hi, I'll leave you a pm, shortly, with my nautical resume.

Thanks

Martin Parr
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 20:15   #4

Boat: 1930 timber gaff rigged cutter

Hello Reed-I dont know if my response is too late. Im British with Australian citizenship and live in Adelaide. Im fit, agile and just retired at 65 but could easily pass for early 50. Ive recently returned from traveling Philippines which was for the specific reason to view marinas for my own solo sailing adventures. I have my own boat, a 40ft traditional gaff rigged cutter. I crew and have done for sometime in most of the off shore races around south Australia. I do have yacht masters, coastal, offshore, and the theory part of yacht masters ocean. More importantly I can sail, navigate, can fix most things on a boat. I know what should be on a boat to cruise, how it supposed to work etc. I believe in basics and redundancy. I can contribute to the research and selection of a suitable boat.
Im a quiet by nature person but not introverted. Love the sea and sailing. I have clean and sober habits and do not smoke. Im sociable, very easy to get a long with. I respect other peoples individuality.
Im single and do not have too many time re straights. I see this opportunity as an advantage to me to explore areas of sailing in company before I endeavor to melt my own ice cube solo. Regards Philip mercater4@gmail.com
mercater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, Malaysia, Philippines, sail