Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 19:30   #1

Captain for MacGregor 65 from Honolulu to Okinawa

Greetings,

I am looking to purchase a 1990 MacGregor 65 that currently resides in Kauai, HI and will be moved to Oahu, HI for the inspections. I will need to relocate the boat to Okinawa, Japan where I currently live. I desire to come along for the voyage however I need a seasoned captain as my sailing experience is limited to fair weather coastal sailing. I should be able to provide an additional person or two for general assistance and watch-standing, but they will both likely be non-sailors.

I am hoping to make all this happen before the typhoon season takes effect in June, but would be cutting it pretty close. It appears to be a 3-4 week trip and the earliest I could probably depart would be end of April.

I welcome comments/suggestions/feedback in addition to hearing from anyone willing and able to head up the voyage. Thanks!
breencp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 20:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Captain for MacGregor 65 from Honolulu to Okinawa

They appear to sit quite low in the water.

ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:51   #3

Arrow Re: Captain for MacGregor 65 from Honolulu to Okinawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by breencp View Post
Greetings,

I am looking to purchase a 1990 MacGregor 65 that currently resides in Kauai, HI and will be moved to Oahu, HI for the inspections. I will need to relocate the boat to Okinawa, Japan where I currently live. I desire to come along for the voyage however I need a seasoned captain as my sailing experience is limited to fair weather coastal sailing. I should be able to provide an additional person or two for general assistance and watch-standing, but they will both likely be non-sailors.

I am hoping to make all this happen before the typhoon season takes effect in June, but would be cutting it pretty close. It appears to be a 3-4 week trip and the earliest I could probably depart would be end of April.

I welcome comments/suggestions/feedback in addition to hearing from anyone willing and able to head up the voyage. Thanks!
I would be available to take your boat for you, I am a licensed captain with over 100,000 mi. of ocean sailing experience. I also have experienced crew available if necessary. You can reach me at. flordjr@aol.com for more information and resume and references.
Captain Frank Lord
72harley1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:04   #4

Thanks! I just sent you an email.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:42   #5

Boat: Hatteras 65' cruiser

Try Find A Crew. it's great.
bigreelsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 16:09   #6

an experienced delivery captain and friend Brian Caldwell just sent me this reply to my suggestion he look into your post:

Hey Sam!

You a member on that cruiser forum? Send the add a reply for the guy to email me and website if you are: distancerecord@gmail.com and bjcaldwell.com

How are you?

Aloha,
Brian
SAMUELBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 18:19   #7

I m a USCG 100 ton captain and ex youngest solo circumnavigator from Hawaii with 43 Hawaii to US west coast deliveries, 8 Sydney Hobarts etc. I ve also delivered a Macgregor 65 from Hawaii to San Francisco years back.

Aloha
Brian
Liquidflight808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUELBURNS View Post

You a member on that cruiser forum? Send the add a reply for the guy to email me and website if you are

Sam, thanks! It looks like he found my post as well and posted right below you. I’ve reached out to him, so we’ll see!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidflight808 View Post

Brian, checked out your website but couldn’t find an email address so I filled out the web form. Looking forward to hearing back.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:02   #10

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Great boat. Very well built. Comfortable motion. Fast. The only problem is there is not much easily accessible storage, so I would plan for that. Make sure the surveyor goes through the rigging properly, that also means checking the mainsail luff cars. 6 person is optimum crew if you ask me, 4 is perfectly OK.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:07   #11

Martin, thank you for the info! I am by no means an expert, but all my research indicated this boat was perfect for solo or couple sailing. Your 6 person optimum definitely caught me by surprise. Would you elaborate for me?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:40   #12

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

My boat is built in a modified 65 mold, just elongated to 73´. Different deck layout, and so on, though. She works perfectly to sail with 2 persons. Single handing is certainly possible. Especially if I can find new electric motors for the winches

I am very impressed with the behaviour in reasonably heavy weather, but she likes to be sailed actively.

So for comfort, on long passages, 3 watches, 2 persons per watch. For me this is preferable to 4 person. Also, on the first passage, things tend to break down, you have to see this as a shake-down cruise, so more crew to help is a plus.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Breen.

The Mac65 has fans (usually owners) and many detractors (usually not owners).

Here are some previous discussion threads you should read prior to purchase, if you have not done so already.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-136619.html

What is the scoop on the Macgregor 65? - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

In the thread linked above, this comment by MR. CLEAN (an experienced and popular SA member) is noteworthy:

"Don't know where my previous post went, but I've seen 20 knots on one just before a wave pooped us pretty hard, tearing the transom and pushpit off and leaving a four+ foot hole in the stern. Spent a fun afternoon with plywood, duct tape, sikaflex and drill bits on that one. Definitely an offwind flyer, as long as it holds together. Note that the pooping wave was not particularly extreme, but the construction of the boat doesn't really like loads of any kind. ,

Hope that helps.
Good luck on your boat purchase or decision, and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, macgregor